• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2022 Complaint/Banter Hangout

IWXwx

If anyone is interested in joining a NFL pick em league ($30 fee for the whole season) please check out the thread for more information. This used to be just open to American Weather, however, given lack of signups this has been expanded outside of the form to hopefully draw a bigger participation. If you are interested or even have any friends interested please pass the word along! 

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

If you're planning on traveling for the eclipse in 2024, you better book now as campgrounds and hotels in Ohio are already taking reservations.

https://auglaizeema.org/eclipse24/?fbclid=IwAR05-krl-hZzdCwngdiAn_sM1iEyu8MG3M70T1cd-4ewmUxYVmP8Amxilfg

I remember some crazy stories from the last total eclipse in 2017... like some hotels raised their rates to several hundred dollars a night or even higher as the date approached.  

For the 2017 eclipse, I booked a room at a place outside of St. Louis for the night before because I didn't want to risk getting in a traffic jam and arriving late on eclipse day.  The real problem was coming back home after it was over.  Took me like 15 hours from southern Illinois.  Tried county roads, state roads, interstate, didn't matter... everything was near standstill for a long time.  I'm definitely gonna try to do things differently in 2024... either gonna bail the minute that totality is over or just come home the next day. 

I remember some crazy stories from the last total eclipse in 2017... like some hotels raised their rates to several hundred dollars a night or even higher as the date approached.  
For the 2017 eclipse, I booked a room at a place outside of St. Louis for the night before because I didn't want to risk getting in a traffic jam and arriving late on eclipse day.  The real problem was coming back home after it was over.  Took me like 15 hours from southern Illinois.  Tried county roads, state roads, interstate, didn't matter... everything was near standstill for a long time.  I'm definitely gonna try to do things differently in 2024... either gonna bail the minute that totality is over or just come home the next day. 

I biked the Katy Trail from St Louis to central MO in the totality zone. I had a hard time getting a shuttle booked as MO emergency management authorities had hyped up the traffic so much everybody was scared to drive, including shuttle operators. IMO they overdid it, traffic was heavy for about 4-6 hours but nothing cataclysmic like they were hyping (there will be no water, lawlessness, traffic gridlock for days, etc). That aside, experiencing it in totality was amazing, 10/10 would do again. Short lived but felt it in my soul in a way I’ll never forget.

50 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

I biked the Katy Trail from St Louis to central MO in the totality zone. I had a hard time getting a shuttle booked as MO emergency management authorities had hyped up the traffic so much everybody was scared to drive, including shuttle operators. IMO they overdid it, traffic was heavy for about 4-6 hours but nothing cataclysmic like they were hyping (there will be no water, lawlessness, traffic gridlock for days, etc). That aside, experiencing it in totality was amazing, 10/10 would do again. Short lived but felt it in my soul in a way I’ll never forget.

It felt like half of humanity converged on the area around southern IL lol.

I agree about feeling it in your soul.  I had heard people describing totality in that way and never really understood what they meant.  I had this weird zen like feeling even a while after.

4 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

One of the few times I wish I live in far southern IL. 2 paths of totality in such a short time is baller. 

Yeah, I think being in the totality zone has an average return rate of like 350 years.  That's just average though... I think Indianapolis has gone ~800 years which will be broken in 2024.  Meanwhile places in southern IL will do it twice in 7 years.

11 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I shouldn't have any travel issues since the northern edge of the path of totality is 3 miles southeast of my house.

Fortunately, I'm in the path of totality this time around as well. I went to Nashville for the last one (that was before I left Michigan).

But no travel for me in 2024! :)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hoosier said:

My rate was $424 in downtown Nashville, granted that was at one of the "budget" hotels (Hilton Garden Inn).

I booked it over 1.5 months out, and most hotels were already sold out at that point.

27 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

The heat out west over the past week has been remarkable. 

One example - before this year, Salt Lake City's September record high was 100F.  They broke it on 9/1 (102F), then broke it again on 9/3 (103F), then again on 9/5 (104F), then again on 9/6 (105F), then again on 9/7 (107F).

Yeah, I'd say that setting your monthly temperature record 5 times in 7 days is pretty impressive.