Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2022 Complaint/Banter Hangout

IWXwx

4 hours ago, luckyweather said:

I have Facebook friend who lives in the area and has been posting pics of the snow. I'm just not quite ready for that yet.

21 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I have Facebook friend who lives in the area and has been posting pics of the snow. I'm just not quite ready for that yet.

Fortunately we'll never see it here, short of nuclear winter.  But we'd have bigger problems in that case.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Flying in Friday to Eau Claire. Looks like it’ll be hot as hell Monday when we are In Minneapolis watching my Red Sox. WTF

More importantly what local beers should I buy (aside from Leinenkugel's)?

If they have it up there, strongly recommend New Glarus Moon Man (I prefer it over their more widely distributed, well-known Spotted Cow).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

If they have it up there, strongly recommend New Glarus Moon Man (I prefer it over their more widely distributed, well-known Spotted Cow).

You read my mind. If you hit up a liquor store, try one of their thumbprint beers. They're more pricey but well worth it.

Took me a sec to realize why 8/28 seemed like a significant day.  Then I thought oh yeah, Plainfield tornado.  32 years.

Plainfield and Oak Lawn are basically 1a and 1b for me as far as historical tornadoes in Chi metro, because of the amount of death and destruction caused by each.  Everything else is in tiers below that with the possible exception of the 3/28/1920 tornado that went through western/northern Cook county.  

Even though Plainfield was F5, I don't know if I'd call it "worse" than Oak Lawn.  That F5 was based on damage to a field, not to any of the buildings, so it's quite likely that the same tornado today would not be rated over EF4.  I think the Oak Lawn F4 rating would probably hold up as EF4 though as some of the damage in Oak Lawn looked pretty extreme, at least based on pics.  Plainfield does have the out of season claim though, as it's extremely rare to get something of that magnitude at this time of year (especially in IL).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Took me a sec to realize why 8/28 seemed like a significant day.  Then I thought oh yeah, Plainfield tornado.  32 years.

Plainfield and Oak Lawn are basically 1a and 1b for me as far as historical tornadoes in Chi metro, because of the amount of death and destruction caused by each.  Everything else is in tiers below that with the possible exception of the 3/28/1920 tornado that went through western/northern Cook county.  

Even though Plainfield was F5, I don't know if I'd call it "worse" than Oak Lawn.  That F5 was based on damage to a field, not to any of the buildings, so it's quite likely that the same tornado today would not be rated over EF4.  I think the Oak Lawn F4 rating would probably hold up as EF4 though as some of the damage in Oak Lawn looked pretty extreme, at least based on pics.  Plainfield does have the out of season claim though, as it's extremely rare to get something of that magnitude at this time of year (especially in IL).

Remember that day well. First year medical student at Loyola Stritch in Maywood in 1990. Hospital went on full alert to receive trauma patients.

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

Remember that day well. First year medical student at Loyola Stritch in Maywood in 1990. Hospital went on full alert to receive trauma patients.

I vaguely remember it.  At least I think I do.  Don't remember anybody saying the word Plainfield but recall hearing about a bad tornado in Illinois and it seemed like it was summertime.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I vaguely remember it.  At least I think I do.  Don't remember anybody saying the word Plainfield but recall hearing about a bad tornado in Illinois and it seemed like it was summertime.

I vaguely remember as well.  We had a chance for severe storms here that day, but everything stayed well northeast as we were very hot and capped.  Do remember seeing the anvil in the eastern sky while we baked.

Getting into dangerously OT territory, and a bit of a derail, but I’ve always wondered why don’t building codes require white or close to white roofs? Albedo effect contributed to feedback loops that perpetuated ice ages, so you get the benefit of more solar reflection vs absorption, and less carbon being used to cool in warm months. Balance that with loss of solar assistance in winter heating though. As well, wonder what the difference in UHI effect is between an asphalt/seal coated road / parking lot and a lighter colored concrete surface. Instinct says those two things (no more asphalt, light colored roofs) could make a big difference.

Coincidentally the Atlantic published this story today - To Fight Climate Change Get a White Roof

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/08/fight-climate-change-get-white-roof/671287/?utm_source=apple_news