Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2022 Complaint/Banter Hangout

IWXwx

5 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Not December? :lol:

I'm in I'll believe it when I see it mode, but I wonder if there's a possibility of December actually rocking this year.  3rd year Nina.  Last time that happened was 2000-01 and I think many will remember what that December was like.

I'm in I'll believe it when I see it mode, but I wonder if there's a possibility of December actually rocking this year.  3rd year Nina.  Last time that happened was 2000-01 and I think many will remember what that December was like.

An active December will be a welcome change of pace as opposed to the past several years. (Save for tornado outbreaks in Kentucky.)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Hey hey! Random but I’ll be in the region in two weeks - Eue Claire for 3 days and Minneapolis for 1. Any suggestions on anything to do at either or in between? Seeing the Sox vs Twins game the night we”re In Minneapolis, staying at the new Four Seasons. Any tips on good bars around?

Can't really help ya but hopefully somebody can.  Don't have too many posters from those areas though.

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Can't really help ya but hopefully somebody can.  Don't have too many posters from those areas though.

Understandable- that is a rural empty area of Wisconsin for sure. Never been but going to an anniversary party. I’m pretending we are Lewis and Clark exploring a new area never seen before lol. 

Understandable- that is a rural empty area of Wisconsin for sure. Never been but going to an anniversary party. I’m pretending we are Lewis and Clark exploring a new area never seen before lol. 
Check out the recently re-opened High Bridge in Eau Claire. Built in 1880 and served as an active railroad bridge until 1992. Converted to a pedestrian bridge in 2015 and then main supports rebuilt in the last year or so.

https://volumeone.org/articles/2022/03/16/293021-hit-the-trail-again-ecs-high-bridge-reopens
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, canderson said:

Hey hey! Random but I’ll be in the region in two weeks - Eue Claire for 3 days and Minneapolis for 1. Any suggestions on anything to do at either or in between? Seeing the Sox vs Twins game the night we”re In Minneapolis, staying at the new Four Seasons. Any tips on good bars around?

In nearby Chippewa Falls outside of Eau Claire is the Leinenkugel Brewery. Could do tour or just sit in their bar/ gift shop area and drink. If you golf Wild Ridge GC pretty stout challenge. I've rented a pontoon boat on Lake Wissota if you like boating. Target field is nice went to a bar downtown Minneapolis called Brits Pub. Has cool criquet lawn with seating to drink on the roof.

Screenshot_20220814-135711_Maps.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

In nearby Chippewa Falls outside of Eau Claire is the Leinenkugel Brewery. Could do tour or just sit in their bar/ gift shop area and drink. If you golf Wild Ridge GC pretty stout challenge. I've rented a pontoon boat on Lake Wissota if you like boating. Target field is nice went to a bar downtown Minneapolis called Brits Pub. Has cool criquet lawn with seating to drink on the roof.

Screenshot_20220814-135711_Maps.jpg

The reason for the trip is an event in Chippewa Falls - trust me the brewery is on my list 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

That would be cool.  Climo is even more against getting sig tropical remnants in your area than mine though.

Yeah, we usually get teased with a quick curve and miss just southeast, but have been nailed a few times in the past.

I'm def fiending for an all day steady rain, like what's going on in southern IA today.  Guess that means I'm about ready for Fall lol.

17 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah, we usually get teased with a quick curve and miss just southeast, but have been nailed a few times in the past.

I'm def fiending for an all day steady rain, like what's going on in southern IA today.  Guess that means I'm about ready for Fall lol.

From a rainfall perspective, Carla might be the benchmark storm in your area?

carla1961filledrainwhite.gif

52 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

This model is depicting a face-melting torch for much of the subforum.....or at least one day that hits 125°.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/study-us-will-have-an-extreme-heat-belt-in-30-years-is-your-state-part-of-it/

So I look up this First Street Foundation and see it is a real estate think tank. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

This model is depicting a face-melting torch for much of the subforum.....or at least one day that hits 125°.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/study-us-will-have-an-extreme-heat-belt-in-30-years-is-your-state-part-of-it/

The media sucks.  They are talking about heat index but it's presented as actual temperatures reaching 125.  Smh

• Like 1

Vinyl siding will be deemed unacceptable by building codes, as it shall melt in the sweltering summer heat.

Getting into dangerously OT territory, and a bit of a derail, but I’ve always wondered why don’t building codes require white or close to white roofs? Albedo effect contributed to feedback loops that perpetuated ice ages, so you get the benefit of more solar reflection vs absorption, and less carbon being used to cool in warm months. Balance that with loss of solar assistance in winter heating though. As well, wonder what the difference in UHI effect is between an asphalt/seal coated road / parking lot and a lighter colored concrete surface. Instinct says those two things (no more asphalt, light colored roofs) could make a big difference.

2 hours ago, luckyweather said:

Getting into dangerously OT territory, and a bit of a derail, but I’ve always wondered why don’t building codes require white or close to white roofs? Albedo effect contributed to feedback loops that perpetuated ice ages, so you get the benefit of more solar reflection vs absorption, and less carbon being used to cool in warm months. Balance that with loss of solar assistance in winter heating though. As well, wonder what the difference in UHI effect is between an asphalt/seal coated road / parking lot and a lighter colored concrete surface. Instinct says those two things (no more asphalt, light colored roofs) could make a big difference.

They have white pavement in California.  While the road is cooler, they say people and cars nearby bake from all the extra heat being radiated back instead of absorbed.

• Like 1