Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2022 Complaint/Banter Hangout

IWXwx

Weenie ass office just hired josh

07ea1032e99ee724836d4fe3cdf5d544.jpg

Michsnowfreak takes over DTX and I’m working on LOT, we’ll collectively drive the board insane. Headed up to trek the mt baker snowfield in Washington next week to tide me over, and maybe get into some of the snowfields in the Canadian Rockies if the Mounties let me across the border. I’ll post pics to earn my ban.
  • Haha 2

On 7/25/2022 at 5:12 PM, Chambana said:

Can’t believe next week is August. Good lord Summer ‘22 is flying on by.

It's been a good summer here. Any real heat has been short lived with timely rains to keep drought prospects away. Would like to see more tstorms but we've had a few decent rds.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cary67 said:

It's been a good summer here. Any real heat has been short lived with timely rains to keep drought prospects away. Would like to see more tstorms but we've had a few decent rds.

yup especially considering death ridge prospects were high in spring

• Like 3

Remember a few months ago how we were talking about the CPC maps having above average temp probabilities in the entire lower 48 for JJA and how hard that would be to pull off (usually at least some quadrant of the country will be cooler than average).  Well, if August comes in warmer than average around the Lakes/east coast and is not too cool elsewhere, we may damn well pull off the coast to coast warmer than average for met summer.

60d-TDept-US.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Kinda tame for a -ENSO/-PDO spring/summer. I thought the table was set to deliver big time heat and/or severe (think 1995, 2008) but the the atmosphere couldn't quite pull it off despite several opportunities; each setup had something screw it up.

-NAO has kept things in check.

-NAO has kept things in check.

We really haven’t had a real -NAO, just a pseudo weak one from time to time.

It has been more-so the persistent and significant troughing across the Hudson/Greenland/Great Lakes/Northeast much of the summer, as well a fairly persistent troughing across the GOA/Pac NW.

31 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

It has been more-so the persistent and significant troughing across the Hudson/Greenland/Great Lakes/Northeast much of the summer, as well a fairly persistent troughing across the GOA/Pac NW.

I'm guessing Powerball assumed that was tied to -NAO, as it usually seems to be a feature of such.

4 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I'm guessing Powerball assumed that was tied to -NAO, as it usually seems to be a feature of such.

Yeah, it hasn't been a -NAO in the technical sense, but on balance when looking at the May & June maps, there has definitely been pretty stubborn ridging west of Greenland towards Hudson Bay (kind of emulating the look of a west-based -NAO).

Of course, paired with what has been fairly persistent troughing on the west coast into the GOA, the duration of troughing and cooler weather for the eastern half of the country has been transient.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:02 AM, WestMichigan said:

Anyone else notice that after it rained in GRR frostfern has completely disappeared?

I went on a trip to Alberta.  I saw some supercells way off in the distance on the road, but missed the (most likely) best storm of the season at home.  It happened last year too.

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:20 AM, Chicago Storm said:

Are those troughs not just the negative image of the Rockies/Plains death ridge that is now pretty much a climate feature?  The areas of "troughing" have simply been "average" as compared to the "much above" most other places.