Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2022 Complaint/Banter Hangout

IWXwx

22 minutes ago, Baum said:

Basically, the wet period didn't make a dent for most. Anyone got a map f area totals since July 4. And now it sounds like back to hot and dry.:sun:

Here's 7 day precip.  Basically anything in blue or in the lightest shade of green is not enough as you want to be getting at least 1" per week at a minimum.  Some areas did very well, but in other areas it was more like a stop the bleeding thing for the time being.

prcp-mpe-007-tot.png

I have to wonder if it is even physically possible to pull off something this extreme nowadays.  Yeah, we had it back in the Dust Bowl years... but that was then, IN the Dust Bowl. 

I guess it could be useful to see how droughty things were in the leadup back in 1954, which was another year that produced this kind of insane heat in the southern/western sub, particularly in the St. Louis area.  

If we get the kind of exceptionally hot airmass aloft that the GFS is advertising along with the exceptionally deep mixing, then yeah, I guess all bets are off.  But both of those conditions would need to be satisfied -- the exceptional 850 mb temps and extremely deep mixing.  Getting only one of those would cause things to fall short.

If it's any consolation, at least through 240hr, the EURO and GGEM aren't setting up to be as impressive with the heat/ridge as the GFS (so far).

Yea, the OP Euro/GEM and the EPS are all a long ways off from the OP GFS solution. Kind of why I started the mention in here, instead of another thread.

The GEFS have made a steady flip towards more of what the OP GFS is showing though.

8 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

A bit toasty in TX today.  Cotulla is 109/63/113 at 3 pm local time...and only under a Heat Advisory.  And far south TX isn't even under an advisory - Brownsville is 96/75/108. I'm guessing their advisory criteria is 110+.

Just run of the mill stuff. :(

My cousin from Houston is in town and was complaining that it was still too hot here yesterday.  Like dude, it was 105 in Houston yesterday.  Be grateful you missed that.

Noticed that the "official" record high for Chicago today is 97, but Midway Airport hit 107 on this day in 1936.  

A 10 degree difference is a lot, but there was actually a 15 degree difference between the official high temp and the high temp at Midway on 7/23/1934.  Official high was 94, while Midway hit 109, which is the hottest temp ever recorded at a Chicago observation site.  

The official observations were taken at the University of Chicago back in the 1930s, which is much closer to the lake than Midway.  A number of those really hot days in the Dust Bowl years had a lake breeze.

Don't want to get into a full-blown covid discussion because it can easily veer into politics, but just curious who has managed to avoid covid so far.  I haven't knowingly had it but there were a couple times in the past couple years when I wondered... most recently in late December 2021.  Was mildly under the wx but that was at the time when you might've had more luck striking oil in your backyard than finding a home test, and I never tested.  Got the booster while I was sick and interestingly, whatever I had was basically gone the next day.  Maybe a coincidence but I read that it's not impossible for a vax to kick the immune system into gear and fight off something other than what it's intended for.  Anyway, I'd estimate about a third to maybe 40% of the people in my circle have had covid for sure... i.e. symptomatic and tested positive.  More and more people all the time.  I feel like there's a lot more of it out there now than what's reported since so many just do the home test or don't test at all.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

but just curious who has managed to avoid covid so far.

I'm COVID-free, unvaxxed and have never taken a test, so likely a unicorn at this point. And this is all while living in states that have effectively been wide open since the brief lockdowns were lifted in May 2020.

(I know certain folks in OT will have a ball with this revelation, and more power to them).

• Weenie 1

34 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I'm COVID-free, unvaxxed and have never taken a test, so likely a unicorn at this point. And this is all while living in states that have effectively been wide open since the brief lockdowns were lifted in May 2020.

(I know certain folks in OT will have a ball with this revelation, and more power to them).

Same story with my sister.  She recently got a desk job at an assisted living facility (she is not required to be vaxxed) and if she still manages to avoid it, I might start thinking there are some special genes or something.

22 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

wtf

I read up on it before I went in.  The general consensus was that it likely wouldn't be a problem to receive a vaccine while you're mildly ill with something, but you'd probably want to put it off if really ill because it could tax the body and possibly even diminish the vaccine response.