Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2022 Complaint/Banter Hangout

IWXwx

5 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Probably not.  The trough of blue will slowly appear in between those obvious ridges and the midwest/lakes will have a cold and wet summer.  Lots of northwest flow and cut off lows.

For outdoor construction work im not that upset by it. I enjoy the heat but Toronto is just far enough north that even a cooler summer (which Toronto is due for one) is 70s for highs. Its the overnight lows in Toronto that could push most summers to above and thats because of overnight lows. Those have really come up in the summer and if theres more cloud and moisture I can see the same thing happening. Lots of 75F low 68F 

17 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, it's a tough look to pull off.  Odds are that some quadrant of the country would be cooler than average even if most areas are above.

They show the immediate Pacific coast as normal.  At least they didn't show the entire lower 48 as above normal.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

That's a lot of drought.

We are sort of due for some triple digit heat.  Many areas in the sub have not seen that since 2012.

FWA hit 100° in 14 years since 1909, or about once every 8 years, so yeah, we're due.

The longest stretch they went without hitting 100° was 17 years (1963-1979).

They also hit 99° nine times since 1909, which equates to once every 5 years of hitting at least 99°.

Since 2012, the yearly highs at FWA have been fairly pedestrian:

2013-95°

2014-93°

2015-90°

2016-94°

2017-95°

2018-97°

2019-95°

2020-95°

2021-92°

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

FWA hit 100° in 14 years since 1909, or about once every 8 years, so yeah, we're due.

They also hit 99° nine times since 1909, which equates to once every 5 years of hitting at least 99°.

2013-95°

2014-93°

2015-90°

2016-94°

2017-95°

2018-97°

2019-95°

2020-95°

2021-92°

And yet if a scorching stretch happens, the doomsday people will holler foul even though the numbers say it is about time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

2013-95°

2014-93°

2015-90°

2016-94°

2017-95°

2018-97°

2019-95°

2020-95°

2021-92°

Chicago has reached 100+ in 33 years out of 150, so 1 year out of every 4.5.  Hasn't happened since 2012 though.

2 hours ago, bowtie` said:

And yet if a scorching stretch happens, the doomsday people will holler foul even though the numbers say it is about time.

The summer warming trend in the eastern US has not come with a lot of real heatwaves.  It's just consistently a little bit warmer on average.  2012 was the only "extreme" summer in recent memory.  2018 ended up pretty warm in the north, but it was almost entirely due to humidity and lack of cold front penetration.  A lot of humid days with highs in the middle to upper 80s and muggy nights around 70.  2017 was the only cool summer in recent memory.  Most have been warmer than average, but without any major heat waves.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

1995 was a good summer as I recall in the Madison area, although I was only 9. Hot but active with frequent thunderstorms/severe threats. 2012 was just mind-numbingly boring wx-wise with nothing even to track from afar in the stretch between the 4/14 Plains outbreak, and Hurricane Sandy.

We had a pretty impressive tornado outbreak in the DVN cwa in late July of '95.  

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=comprad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=100&interval=5&year=1995&month=7&day=27&hour=15&minute=15

• Like 2

at this point I begin to blame the forecasters for this shit show of a spring. A non ending stream of below average, wet, windy,cloudy days. And the 7 day outlook keeps it going. I mean WTH is this from LOT:TEMPERATURES MAY ALSO BE A BIT COOLER THAN CURRENTLY FORECAST.  That's in reference to Sunday's 62 degree forecast.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Baum said:

at this point I begin to blame the forecasters for this shit show of a spring. A non ending stream of below average, wet, windy,cloudy days. And the 7 day outlook keeps it going. I mean WTH is this from LOT:TEMPERATURES MAY ALSO BE A BIT COOLER THAN CURRENTLY FORECAST.  That's in reference to Sunday's 62 degree forecast.

Out of curiosity, why?

They may suck at predicting it, but they can't control it.

Believe it or not though, there are parts of the country have had a stellar Spring so far. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

Out of curiosity, why?

They may suck at predicting it, but they can't control it.

Believe it or not though, there are parts of the country have had a stellar Spring so far. :ph34r:

Shoot the messenger:lol:. Oddly, I think I can get more irritated waiting for consistent warmth than I do with the warm snowless starts to winter.  Our spring is pretty much always like this particularly close to a 38 degree body of water. Fact is, normally you can go 150 south of us and have a dramatically different spring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baum said:

Shoot the messenger:lol:. Oddly, I think I can get more irritated waiting for consistent warmth than I do with the warm snowless starts to winter.  Our spring is pretty much always like this particularly close to a 38 degree body of water. Fact is, normally you can go 150 south of us and have a dramatically different spring.

Try coming north to Wisconsin and watch the warm front stall at the WI/IL border several times each spring.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

1995 was a good summer as I recall in the Madison area, although I was only 9. Hot but active with frequent thunderstorms/severe threats. 2012 was just mind-numbingly boring wx-wise with nothing even to track from afar in the stretch between the 4/14 Plains outbreak, and Hurricane Sandy.

Camped out at Mirror Lake State Park in the heat wave in mid July 1995. 

• Like 1