Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2022 General Discussion

madwx

14 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Temp is soaring with full sun here, I went up 1C just in the last 10 mins. Can't wait to feel the sultry airmass.

No where close to sultry here. Yesterday at max heating the dews were only in the low 50's. Today so far, the dews are only in the mid 50's. Really does not feel sultry to me until the dews get closer to 65.

1 hour ago, bowtie` said:

No where close to sultry here. Yesterday at max heating the dews were only in the low 50's. Today so far, the dews are only in the mid 50's. Really does not feel sultry to me until the dews get closer to 65.

Compared to recent it'll feel that way as my humidex is suppose to be 28-30C later. Right now my DP is 13C/55F.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Am I correct that the humidex is more liberal than the heat index?  Like for a given temp and dewpoint, the humidex value will be higher than it is on the heat index?

I never got myself sorted on the exact differences so I found this article:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/humidex-vs-heat-index-whats-the-difference/10243

"The equation used to calculate the humidex is different from what is used for the Heat Index in the United States. Therefore, one cannot convert the Heat Index to Celsius to compare conditions in the two countries. For example, at a temperature of 32 °C with a relative humidity of 50%, the Heat Index would be 35 °C, but the humidex would be 39."

For the equation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidex

I'm currently sitting at 26C with a humidex of 30. There is just enough of a breeze that unless I'm standing in direct sunlight I still feel a slight tinge of coolness!

2 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

What is this row of clouds that generated south to north? By 2:40 I'm already mostly cloudy with sunny breaks :thumbsdown:

It is due to Lake Huron.  Happen when I lived in the Keweenaw.  Also to my parents near Allegan MI.

Balmy 30-35F today. What month is it again? Avg highs are low 50's this time of the month, but reaching avg has been a chore this month, in general. The last couple days of precip netted 0.63". Just came in spurts, very scattered.

Guess this anomaly map tells the story, especially back my way.

April temp anom map 4-25-22.png

• Sad 1

Good moisture, cold northerly flow, perfect setup here for snow. Have had 2.5 inches overnight and this morning and snow’s still coming down. High today only 28. Colder than most of the subs mid winter average high. If it clears, teens tonight. 

The Yoop and the Arrowhead all by themselves in another season.  In fact, by this map mby may be one of the coldest places in the lower 48 today. I'm so honored :arrowhead:

MQT:

Here at the NWS Marquette office, the temp just after midnight was 27F. As long as the temp today does not exceed 30F (that definitely looks like the case), today will end up with the lowest max temp for so late in the season.

D205BD32-0788-4B46-B4E3-7594B99AE527.thumb.png.cdaa0b0e4219c5fdeb2c3825495acfaf.png

• Sad 1

Nothing like having all day snow flurries on *checks notes* April 26th. At least in the longer range it's looking like this week will probably the last of the real cold stuff. After tomorrow night we don't get near freezing for lows for at least the next 5 days. Even with still lackluster highs in the 50's, that should finally get us going for greenup around here. About time. 

Snow increasing in intensity as the sun heads lower... it stopped accumulating earlier this afternoon and even melted away on the driveway and truck but has since began sticking to all surfaces again.  Should see 2-3 inches tonight with winds shifting more nne which is a very favorable wind direction for my area.  Down to 22 degrees already.  Looks like late Nov/early Dec out.

12 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Snow increasing in intensity as the sun heads lower... it stopped accumulating earlier this afternoon and even melted away on the driveway and truck but has since began sticking to all surfaces again.  Should see 2-3 inches tonight with winds shifting more nne which is a very favorable wind direction for my area.  Down to 22 degrees already.  Looks like late Nov/early Dec out.

How much “old” snow do you still have?

Just now, Stebo said:

Deep winter up there still, I have been to the UP on vacation in the first 2 weeks of May. If I came up there to this, I would turn around. :lmao:

There's better times to visit than the first half of May, for sure.  :lol:

I notice you've been up at all times of the year.  Which is your favorite to visit?  I'd recommend late August.  The summer visitors are gone, so are the bugs, and it's before the autumn rush of tourists.  The lake is warm, nights are cool... usually dry.

2 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

There's better times to visit than the first half of May, for sure.  :lol:

I notice you've been up at all times of the year.  Which is your favorite to visit?  I'd recommend late August.  The summer visitors are gone, so are the bugs, and it's before the autumn rush of tourists.  The lake is warm, nights are cool... usually dry.

I like the week after Labor Day, less people around and if I get lucky it can still be in the 80s.