• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2022 General Discussion

madwx

Like many of you it's snowing again this morning.  Probably will reach 2 inches before it changes over to light rain, then back to snow this evening where a light northerly upslope component could add another 2 or so inches (or several if the ARW and NSSL are to be believed).  I've received 14 inches nickel-n-diming it this month which is really close to the average for April up this way.  Yesterday was gorgeous with light wind, sunny skies and a high temp of 37.  Was outside all day. 

A few more days of the coolness then hopefully more seasonable temps will arrive and stay.  

3 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I'd figured you'd still be in Florida right now. :lol:

Well the thing is work was gonna let me stay down there through March but I didn't want to use all my vacation time and save some for the summer here so I took a risk and came home on March 1st hoping that maybe we might have a decent and warm March this Spring but boy did that backfire lol. I think we've had 3 days (60+) where i was able to ride my bike outside since march 1st.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Well the thing is work was gonna let me stay down there through March but I didn't want to use all my vacation time and save some for the summer here so I took a risk and came home on March 1st hoping that maybe we might have a decent and warm March this Spring but boy did that backfire lol. I think we've had 3 days (60+) where i was able to ride my bike outside since march 1st.

Ouch I feel that pain, I actually thought the opposite last Spring where I was convinced there was no way a repeat for 2022 was on tap - indeed. I was thinking of leaving Mar/Apr specifically because I knew it was going to be atrocious.

Looking at the coming week I'm estimated to have 27 hours of total sunlight. I doubt I'll get that much despite it being an already low value. Next Sun my high is set to 20C/68F but I think I'll overperform and get to ~26C.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Like many of you it's snowing again this morning.  Probably will reach 2 inches before it changes over to light rain, then back to snow this evening where a light northerly upslope component could add another 2 or so inches (or several if the ARW and NSSL are to be believed).  I've received 14 inches nickel-n-diming it this month which is really close to the average for April up this way.  Yesterday was gorgeous with light wind, sunny skies and a high temp of 37.  Was outside all day. 

A few more days of the coolness then hopefully more seasonable temps will arrive and stay.  

Wow. 37 in Mid April sounds brutal. I'm guessing thats well below normal ?

• Like 1

Had 2.4" here.  Heavy snow was blinding at times from 1 to 3pm. Impressive to get accumulations during peak heating of a mid to late April day. This was the 8th day of the 2021-22 season DTW had SN+ with quarter mile or less visib. With the water content of around 0.40", this would have been more impressive accumulation wise had it came at night. Season total imby 47.6". 

DTW received 2.3", bringing season to 47.1".

Last 3 years have been impressive for post-mid-April snowfalls.

Apr 17, 2020: 3.3" (DTW 3.4")
May 10/11, 2020: 0.7" (DTW 0.5")
Apr 20/21, 2021: 4.4" (3.5" DTW)
Apr 18, 2022: 2.4" (2.3" DTW)

FB_IMG_1650332423147.thumb.jpg.1572c5f683400bb1163f7204103cd059.jpg

FB_IMG_1650332435571.thumb.jpg.ca17e9a586f5259cf376f3853577b558.jpg

FB_IMG_1650332429848.thumb.jpg.9987d6576d8fc20029c4ca5952145f58.jpg

• Like 8

20 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Going up to Lutsen MN this upcoming weekend for some late April skiing. (We downhill ski into May most years in Northeast Minnesota) There is still a very solid snowpack up there. Looks like for the second year in a row my timing will be poor. Cold rain Saturday with a stiff east wind off Superior.

Yeah, bad timing for sure. Just updated my sig with totals. TH is running 30" above normal for snow this year. Been a good year for skiers, snowmobilers, etc. 

Saw my first robin yesterday in the snow. It flew into my porch, and was making a ruckus trying to get out. It couldn't figure out that the window wasn't going to let it through, at least for a few minutes. It finally figured it out, and flew out the door. LOL

On this date in 1901, the upper Ohio Valley was in the midst of one of the worst, if not the worst snowstorms, on record for the region with storm totals as high as 3 1/2 feet reported in Stark and Licking Counties. Due to the heavy weight of the snow, structural collapses were reported, rail traffic was brought to a standstill and telegraph lines were downed all over the place. The following passages describe the storm - the first from the Ohio Weather Bureau report, and the second from the West Virginia report for context on the storm. Appears northern and southern stream energy phased into a strong storm over Georgia, which tracked slowly north in to western Virginia but ran into a ridge of high pressure and stalled for most of the day, before becoming completely cut off from the flow, retrograding westward into the Ohio Valley, eventually filling and dissipating. There must have been a strong atmospheric river directed from the Atlantic through Pennsylvania and into Ohio and West Virginia and southern New York based on the widespread 3-8" precipitation totals. While the precipitation fell as a cold rain in Pittsburgh, the river crest was one of the top five of the 20th century and unlikely to be exceeded due to flood control measures put in place after the devastating flooding in March 1936. 1901 is the snowiest April on record in Pittsburgh with 13.5" but that was from the earlier storm from the 2nd to 3rd noted in the West Virginia summary. That storm also produced up to 20 or more inches of snow in the higher elevations.

image.png.5953260f984511cfc05114d13a08ed7e.png

image.png.3f8ef738abb4c4e8909f875a6f69f4be.pngimage.png.cb78689064d4749bdd5037d2c50ba0e7.png

• Like 1

More snow in the Northland today, but should stay more to my north. Cook county building a glacier up there. LOL

But milder wx with rain/thunder to end the week. Big runoff coming for the weekend with 1", possibly up to 2" of rain. Gooseberry Falls should be an awesome site again by Sunday.

Also have the Lakes water levels. Superior running average with the rest above average. After seeing years of low levels, the last decade has been much higher, even record levels in some cases. Ships can run a little more cargo with the higher water. Saves on cost.

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missions/Great-Lakes-Information/Great-Lakes-Information-2/Water-Level-Data/

4-20-22 snowcast.gif

Great Lakes water levels April 19.gif

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

On this date in 1901, the upper Ohio Valley was in the midst of one of the worst, if not the worst snowstorms, on record for the region with storm totals as high as 3 1/2 feet reported in Stark and Licking Counties. Due to the heavy weight of the snow, structural collapses were reported, rail traffic was brought to a standstill and telegraph lines were downed all over the place. The following passages describe the storm - the first from the Ohio Weather Bureau report, and the second from the West Virginia report for context on the storm. Appears northern and southern stream energy phased into a strong storm over Georgia, which tracked slowly north in to western Virginia but ran into a ridge of high pressure and stalled for most of the day, before becoming completely cut off from the flow, retrograding westward into the Ohio Valley, eventually filling and dissipating. There must have been a strong atmospheric river directed from the Atlantic through Pennsylvania and into Ohio and West Virginia and southern New York based on the widespread 3-8" precipitation totals. While the precipitation fell as a cold rain in Pittsburgh, the river crest was one of the top five of the 20th century and unlikely to be exceeded due to flood control measures put in place after the devastating flooding in March 1936. 1901 is the snowiest April on record in Pittsburgh with 13.5" but that was from the earlier storm from the 2nd to 3rd noted in the West Virginia summary. That storm also produced up to 20 or more inches of snow in the higher elevations.

image.png.5953260f984511cfc05114d13a08ed7e.png

image.png.3f8ef738abb4c4e8909f875a6f69f4be.pngimage.png.cb78689064d4749bdd5037d2c50ba0e7.png

Cool stuff.  Not sure I've heard of that storm before.

17 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

Sun high has been increased to 24C, 2C left to go.

Now 25C, 1C left. Humidex set to a steamy 29C.

In less than a day, all this green grass is showing up despite the cold and snow.

This was going to be the sunniest day of the next 7, but I've barely got any so far. 9 Hrs of sunlight not happening but its slowly clearing. Tomorrow looks good in the late day so hoping the bulk of the rain occurs overnight and shoves off.