Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2022 General Discussion

madwx

17 hours ago, madwx said:

yikes

Certainly part of the reason we've had a warm spring (relative to average) and a more active severe weather season so far.

Since 3/25, we've only had 1 day below 70*F, and that day was 69*F. Also, last freeze was on 3/11 (spot on with average).

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

Certainly part of the reason we've had a warm spring (relative to average) and a more active severe weather season so far.

Since 3/25, we've only had 1 day below 70*F, and that day was 69*F. Also, last freeze was on 3/11 (spot on with average).

Oh, and the latest freeze on record for DFW is 4/13/1997.

So statistically, we should be home free from any more freezes. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Looks like a shot at some flakes Sunday night into early Monday.

Make it stop.  Any novelty factor with that has worn off with a relatively recent series of snows in mid to late April.  At least this *should* be the last chance.

Up here it looks like Sunday night and then a lesser chance early Wednesday.   After that it looks mild but I don't want to jinx it

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Highest gust here ( and in the GRR area ) ended up being 66mph. Crazy for sure. Nearly hit 50mph a couple of hours ago. 

I don't know what it was here IMBY.  It was strong enough to toss empty garbage bins into the road.  You just don't expect to drive into flying debris when the sun is out.

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

My daily gauge readings for April. How about a pattern change that actually alters sensible weather?

T
T

The first half of this month was just a washout. Only had 2 dry days the entire 1st half and so far this month. Today is the 14th day with measurable precipitation this month. The record number of days with measurable precipitation in April is 21 in 1920. 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:17 AM, madwx said:

dang, International Falls only made it up to 20 yesterday.   Breaks the previous record low max by 7 degrees

And Bismarck dropped to 0 this morning. Old record was 10, set in 1953.

It’s also their coldest temp so late in the season, by far…as the previous latest 0F or colder was -1 on 4/5/1996. Records go back nearly 150 years, to 1874.

• Sad 2

NAM went a little crazy with the Sun-Mon system.  Overdone, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's are areas of 1"+ on grassy/colder surfaces.  

This is favorably timed for the LOT area (occurring after dark), which is what you want to see at this time of year for snow to stick the best that it can in the absence of heavy rates.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

NAM went a little crazy with the Sun-Mon system.  Overdone, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's are areas of 1"+ on grassy/colder surfaces.  

This is favorably timed for the LOT area (occurring after dark), which is what you want to see at this time of year for snow to stick the best that it can in the absence of heavy rates.

why not.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Vigorous Springtime snow showers all day. Near 1/4 mile visibility one minute then sunshine the next then back to snow.

Still SO MUCH snow otg! 

Is it safe to say you will still have snow on the ground in June ?

The Euro is looking less boring now.  Don't mind one last snow.  There's decent QPF so it will be heavy enough to accumulate a little.  Then the warm front is already pretty active on it's way north by Friday.  At least no drought this year.  When it finally warms up the green-up should be nice and lush.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, frostfern said:

The Euro is looking less boring now.  Don't mind one last snow.  There's decent QPF so it will be heavy enough to accumulate a little.  Then the warm front is already pretty active on it's way north by Friday.  At least no drought this year.  When it finally warms up the green-up should be nice and lush.

your sick.:lol:

• Haha 2

The annual post-mid-April snowstorm is now looking quite likely tomorrow. Should it happen this will be the 3rd year in a row we get a very scenic snowfall aftermated April.

Measurable snows imby last few years after mid April.

Apr 15, 2020: 1.5"
Apr 17, 2020: 3.3"
May 10/11, 2020: 0.7"
Apr 20/21, 2021: 4.4"
Apr 18, 2022: ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

How much snow do you still have? Looking at NOAA snow maps a general 16-40" is still in parts of your area. With the highest amounts right around Houghton 

18-20" here in the woods around my house.  That's even after a cold 2.65" of rain this past week.  Saw a fisher yesterday around the barn snooping for my chicks, so I followed his tracks through the woods, and with all the rain lately I'd sink through in spots and it was up to my knees still.

Yesterday morning was 22 with a high of 27, a low this morning of 19 but should climb to around 35 today before more snow moves in late tonight with a few inches possible.

• Like 1

Very cold this morning. Near record/record low temps, with snow on tap for tonight. Happy Easter everyone. (at least to those that recognize the time as different faiths don't of course)

TH - 20 (T3rd)

Duluth - 21 (T7th)

Hibbing - 14 (3rd)

I-Falls - 11 (T1st)

2020 at this time was similar, but just slightly less cold. Still a lot of snow in the country, especially the forested areas, so that helped under the calm conditions.

Easter min temps.gif

Snow after Easter.gif

• Like 1