• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2022 General Discussion

madwx

I was awoken by a pre-dawn storm just to my north, two cells sliding in tandem that developed on the shoreline. I literally slept on this potential - only recalled the afternoon storms. I hated these because the lightning wasn't a joke - a visible but distant strike knocked my power out for 2 mins. The last time I lost power from any storm in April was 2009 for a few seconds. Other reason for my disdain is it was a troll storm; every time I looked away after watching for mins it immediately flashed. No rain. Was 9C feeling like 6.

lmitu.png

We had about 0.4" of rain here in town (0.46" at Arpt), and the winds have picked back up a bit after the strong gale yesterday into the night subsided. There running up to 35-40 mph off the Lake today. 50 mph gusts easy yesterday. With the rain, and melting snow, Gooseberry Falls is roaring right now. All the rivers running strong today. The trout and smelt runs should get going strong here soon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

I was awoken by a pre-dawn storm just to my north, two cells sliding in tandem that developed on the shoreline. I literally slept on this potential - only recalled the afternoon storms. I hated these because the lightning wasn't a joke - a visible but distant strike knocked my power out for 2 mins. The last time I lost power from any storm in April was 2009 for a few seconds. Other reason for my disdain is it was a troll storm; every time I looked away after watching for mins it immediately flashed. No rain. Was 9C feeling like 6.

lmitu.png

Best lightning here was Sunday night with the initial warm/occluded front.  It was mostly very small cells popping up between 3 and 4 am to my northwest, but somehow they had quite a few of those high-current CGs that shook the ground despite being a good 5 miles away.  Just hoping to hear a little bit more thunder this evening before the cold front is totally through.

3 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Winds have settled down, and the rain has turned over to snow. Just a cold, gray, miserable day. Homemade soup on the stove cooking right now. Good stuff for the wx I'm having today.

Warm and wet beats cold and grey by a little.  Disappointing even here though.

• Like 2

Coating of snow on the grass this evening. Another crappy day on tap for tomorrow, then a chilly Easter weekend ahead. My father-in-law(ex) passed away on Sunday. His funeral is Saturday. Good man. Very close to my second oldest son. Hard days for the family this week, with a bummer of an Easter weekend.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, madwx said:

winds definitely getting very feisty out there with ample mixing.   multiple 60 mph gusts in northern Iowa and DVN just issue a High Wind Warning

Seems like a lot of synoptic wind events going back to at least last fall, including the day of Iowa's December derecho/tornado outbreak. That's when I got the video of the patio umbrella crashing to the ground at the apartment building across the road.

5 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Sorry for your loss Brian. 

28 with a wind blown dusting of snow here this morning. 

Thanks man, its been rough ride this past year and a half. My mom, then my youngest boy, a good friend, and now my father-in-law. Reaper been close by as of late. But they aren't complaining now, as Paradise is chill time for them, and they wouldn't want to come back for anything. 

59 minutes ago, Brian D said:

JINGLE BELLS, JINGLE BELLS OHH, I forgot its almost Easter I think. Snowing out again today. 30 for a high tomorrow, maybe.  Old man winter has been on steroids since X-mas. :) 

Snow Squall threat today, mainly just to my south.

Someone must have gifted him a pound of weed at X-mas, cause he sure has been a giddy, red-eyed, can't see straight kinda fella this year. Dude, do ya know what time it is? LOL Take a good long sleep man, geez!