Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2022 General Discussion

madwx

1 minute ago, Brian D said:

Snowing here right now. Looking for a couple inches today, and maybe a couple more tonight. Looks like the south shore of the Big Water in for a good snow. Still have old snow on the ground here in town. A testament to the snow of this past winter, and the cooler spring so far. Usually here in town, because it's so open, the snow melts off pretty quickly.

still 22-24" otg here and extremely slow to melt even with the rain.  It just absorbed it all.  Got to be 9-10" liquid locked up in the snowpack.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

still 22-24" otg here and extremely slow to melt even with the rain.  It just absorbed it all.  Got to be 9-10" liquid locked up in the snowpack.

Yeah, that's about the same depth at the 7NW site here. Lots of water ready to soak in the ground, and run off. 

Edit: 7NW just updated, they are at 30" depth now after the snow yesterday. They got 8". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Damn, that’s impressive! How does that amount of liquid compare with previous years? 

23 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

GFS and Euro precip next week.  lol

The GFS pushes the initial front way south while the Euro keeps it stalled over us.  Then the GFS tracks the main low well north while the Euro tracks it over us, so this morning's runs are basically the driest and wettest possible scenarios.

image.thumb.png.05c151bde0c6706fa8a0d4bec27408ab.png

image.thumb.png.73a20bf968ab7004392c4bc087b0b8cb.png

Regardless of how exactly next week shakes out, it's a good thing it'll be the one week this month when both KMKX and KDVN are up.

7 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Here's the modeled SWE. Quite a bit like you said. Even my way.

Looks like 2019, and especially 2013, and 2014 were the last time we have seen SWE like this at this date.

snow water map.jpg

30 minutes ago, Baum said:

better than over Indy. I've still got the shakes from some recent April/May events

I’m just annoyed Alek had me thinking the earlier low was 968, not some BS at 200+ hours.  Not that the GFS has that much better chance of verifying a bomb inside 200 hours, or even inside 24 if we’re totally honest.

13 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I’m just annoyed Alek had me thinking the earlier low was 968, not some BS at 200+ hours.  Not that the GFS has that much better chance of verifying a bomb inside 200 hours, or even inside 24 if we’re totally honest.

If the GFS predicted that the sun will rise tomorrow I wouldn't believe it.

• Haha 3

On 4/6/2022 at 6:04 AM, A-L-E-K said:

gfs trying to sell better times in the mid range, so far been a p typical spring here locally

recent soaking rains and wet soils should make for a great leaf out period here over the coming weeks with some early flowers already in bloom

Grass has already greened up out here in the suburbs, with some trees/shrubs slowly starting to pop as well.

Also, forgot to mention...

Final snowfall totals of 0.1" ORD and 1.5" RFD with the first snow event last Thur/Fri (March 31-April 1st), and then 0.1" ORD and 1.7" RFD with the second snow event last Sat (April 2nd).

6 hours ago, RobertSul said:

Damn, that’s impressive! How does that amount of liquid compare with previous years? 

I would say this years water content is high just because of how late in the season it is, but as far as it being anything unusual, it isn't... In most years the SWE (locally) peaks in the 12-16" range.

2 hours ago, Brian D said:

Here's the modeled SWE. Quite a bit like you said. Even my way.

Looks like 2019, and especially 2013, and 2014 were the last time we have seen SWE like this at this date.

snow water map.jpg

You also have to factor in the absorption of rain/freezing rain into the snow pack.  I doubt this modeling depicts any of that.  This years snow pack is extremely dense and resilient.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I would say this years water content is high just because of how late in the season it is, but as far as it being anything unusual, it isn't... In most years the SWE (locally) usually peaks in the 12-16" range.

You also have to factor in the absorption of rain/freezing rain into the snow pack.  I doubt this modeling depicts any of that.  This years snow pack is extremely dense and resilient.  

This is what 90" SWE looks like.  Mount Rainier in early April 2008.  The depth was 19 feet.

snow.jpg

• Like 1