• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2022 General Discussion

madwx

The month of April has been a mixed bag around here recently.   Varying from very cold and snowy(2018) to warm and wet(2017) and mild and dry(2021).  Looks like the first week of the month will be seasonal to cool but the active storm track looks to continue.   Those who know more than I are thinking the active weather will continue and possibly pick up for the second half of the month, which means more severe for the SE half of the sub and rain/snow chances for the NW half.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

It appears that, at least based on long term models, April will end up on the cooler than average side. Though I'm sure with the usual ups and downs.

After a cold and often wintry April 2018, an interesting thing of note is that each of the past 3 april's have had advisory level snowfalls late in the month in our sub. 

Apr 27/28, 2019- 3-5" of snow falls in Chicago's far NW burbs

Apr 17/18, 2020- 3-6" of snow falls from Detroit to Toledo

Apr 20/21, 2021- 3-6" of snow falls from Detroit to Toledo 

Apr 2022...hold my beer????

5 hours ago, madwx said:

The month of April has been a mixed bag around here recently.   Varying from very cold and snowy(2018) to warm and wet(2017) and mild and dry(2021).  Looks like the first week of the month will be seasonal to cool but the active storm track looks to continue.   Those who know more than I are thinking the active weather will continue and possibly pick up for the second half of the month, which means more severe for the SE half of the sub and rain/snow chances for the NW half.

Hope we in the NW sub can get into some of that severe action, too. It's always annoying when we get a significant :twister:event way earlier in the season than seems right at this latitude (Winterset day) and then get plunged back into winter with nothing else of note until late May or June.

If we can get sufficient Gulf juice for an EF4 up here on March 5th, we can jolly well do it on April 15th.

Looks like no thunder north of Dixie for the first half of April.  I don't really see a snowstorm either.  Just 40s and blah... maybe some 50s if we see the sun.  Pretty boring... as usual for April these past few years.  Can only hope for a pattern change in the latter half at this point.  

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

It appears that, at least based on long term models, April will end up on the cooler than average side. Though I'm sure with the usual ups and downs.

After a cold and often wintry April 2018, an interesting thing of note is that each of the past 3 april's have had advisory level snowfalls late in the month in our sub. 

Apr 27/28, 2019- 3-5" of snow falls in Chicago's far NW burbs

Apr 17/18, 2020- 3-6" of snow falls from Detroit to Toledo

Apr 20/21, 2021- 3-6" of snow falls from Detroit to Toledo 

Apr 2022...hold my beer????

You can add April 13-16 2018 - Minneapolis and central Minnesota 15-20” of snow, capping off the snowiest April on record with over 26” of snow.

86200D81-D75B-4C4E-AEA2-3347EB2A73A3.jpeg

• Like 2

The system tomorrow looks sneaky and one capable of delivering a little surprise.  The main questions are how wide the snow band will be and can it maintain itself into the afternoon given the marginal airmass and now early April sun angle trying to push the boundary layer toward rain.

On 3/30/2022 at 5:39 PM, madwx said:

JB is on board!  Though I might take the under on April 2011.

• Weenie 1

Even tho I'm ready for a new season, the beauty of snow never gets old. Walking in the woods today, the birds were singing, the sun felt warm.  It was nice just to soak it all in knowing winter is in retreat and that days like this are numbered.  I'm looking forward to spring and outdoor chores, projects, riding my dirt bike, enjoying sun and warmth, but always knowing in the back of my mind, in the UP winter is always coming!

IMG_4529.thumb.JPG.9a1b719486896fafeec82866e6dcd769.JPG

IMG_4525.thumb.JPG.e35b4dd2c72fbc49f197bc596c4dc8f8.JPG

652343818_thumbnail(1).thumb.jpg.fc0ce12eb7d9515b9b4a9c46b5a46468.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

I dont trust the GFS in 6 hours, much less 366

The general GL troughyness developing in the 6-10 period after a brief zonal pattern looks real though.... unfortunately.  Wish it was just the OP GFS so I could throw it out.  I'm over winter when "cold" is upper 30s and melting pellet snow.  Only high elevation plains and far north still get proper big dog snows this time of year.  I don't really understand season total stat nerds.  Just can't get excited about stat padding.  If it's no longer on the ground I just don't care anymore.  Not even 6" of concrete will really excite me this time of year.  Winter had it's last chance in March.  It's over.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The system tomorrow looks sneaky and one capable of delivering a little surprise.  The main questions are how wide the snow band will be and can it maintain itself into the afternoon given the marginal airmass and now early April sun angle trying to push the boundary layer toward rain.

Diurnal timing has a huge impact this time of year.  Pray the system is a little faster.

4 hours ago, Baum said:

Wait, don't you ban people for following JB?

Things are going to be changing around here.  Weatherbell/JB have been negotiating the purchase of American Weather, and my sources indicate that it is just about finalized.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Things are going to be changing around here.  Weatherbell/JB have been negotiating the purchase of American Weather, and my sources indicate that it is just about finalized.

dam. I hope he doesn't sniff me out as a guy he blocked on twitter. Of course, I was using my Alek alias over there. I had an auto reply "ready to b buried" every time he tweeted.

• Haha 1