Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Pattern/obs thread.

weathafella

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Why don’t they say destructive hail? How can they get that specific? So everyone there thinks 5” Hail. Lol.

You know…I’ve always wondered how/why specific hail size gets mentioned in these watches but I guess there’s enough research done where you can have a very good idea on what the max hail size will be…but how often in severe setups do you see max hail size be a widespread thing? Thing in this case how many 5” hail reports will there truly be?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

You know…I’ve always wondered how/why specific hail size gets mentioned in these watches but I guess there’s enough research done where you can have a very good idea on what the max hail size will be…but how often in severe setups do you see max hail size be a widespread thing? Thing in this case how many 5” hail reports will there truly be?

I am pretty sure since 2013 there have been no more than 3 events with legit 5" hail reports in North Central TX, one of which was this year in Salado. 2016 in Rowlett.  And possibly June 2018, though I doubt it.  And not sure I ever saw hail that big in OK from 04 to 2011.  

Truly a rare event...

• Like 1

Just now, radarman said:

I am pretty sure since 2013 there have been no more than 3 events with legit 5" hail reports in North Central TX, one of which was this year in Salado. 2016 in Rowlett.  And possibly June 2018, though I doubt it.  And not sure I ever saw hail that big in OK from 04 to 2011.  

Truly a rare event...

Seems rarer than even an EF5 TOR?  That's a rare event to be throwing into a statement.  Why not say 3" hail... even if someone gets a 5" hailstone it's assumed with a 3" call that f'cking large hail was possible, ha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radarman said:

Truly a rare event...

It is a bit puzzling. Thus far there has been a 4” hail report and a handful of 2”+ reports but majority are 1-1.75”.

10 minutes ago, radarman said:

Truly a rare event...

Grapefruit size hail? Yes, I would hope it is a truly rare event.  Lol

I cannot even imagine the damage that would cause.  Never mind personal property,  crop damage would be catastrophic.

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Grapefruit size hail? Yes, I would hope it is a truly rare event.  Lol

I cannot even imagine the damage that would cause.  Never mind personal property,  crop damage would be catastrophic.

Crop damage actually is the worst with smaller hail that shreds foliage.  The supersized hail tends to be more sparse.  Might squash a few watermelons but likely not cause wholesale destruction.  Also only occurs in narrow areas of supercells with maximized updrafts.  But yeah the damage to cars and roofs and windows is horrific.  Large hail costs dwarf tornado costs in big cities like Dallas.

• Like 1