Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Pattern/obs thread.

weathafella

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wow, that’s surprising. I’d like love to see a chart for inland because the wind has been constant the last three weeks.

Just musing: Something strange is going on with the numbers, something I've noticed for a while actually.   It feels chilly when above normal now -

Some of that, I suspect is because as noted over the recent 10 ... 20 years of global climate monitoring, and is showing likewise in local numbers, much of the above normal results have been because of the nighttime contribution, which have been the warmer of the night vs days.   If it's 50  for a low, and the average low is 44 ( say..), but the next day is 70 when the average high is 69, that's almost unknowable to the average civilian just how warm it has been.     

But when it is perceived chillier, wind of any amount will tend to gnaw at one's nerves.  Irony is that wind at 50 or 44 at night is going to suck either way.  It doesn't have to even be windier than normal.  Moving cold air is unpleasant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Just musing: Something strange is going on with the numbers, something I've noticed for a while actually.   It feels chilly when above normal now -

Some of that, I suspect is because as noted over the recent 10 ... 20 years of global climate monitoring, and is showing likewise in local numbers, much of the above normal results have been because of the nighttime contribution, which have been the warmer of the night vs days.   If it's 50  for a low, and the average low is 44 ( say..), but the next day is 70 when the average high is 69, that's almost unknowable to the average civilian just how warm it has been.     

But when it is perceived chillier, wind of any amount will tend to gnaw at one's nerves.  Irony is that wind at 50 or 44 at night is going to suck either way.  It doesn't have to even be windier than normal.  Moving cold air is unpleasant.

I have several friends who are weather enthusiasts who all feel like it’s been a windier regime the past decade, myself included.  However, it’s just based on personal experience at various locations and I certainly don’t have any data to back it up.

If we are indeed in a cycle of climate change then windier certainly makes sense as one of the atmospheric symptoms.

24 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Or you are just getting old

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wow, that’s surprising. I’d like love to see a chart for inland because the wind has been constant the last three weeks.

Seriously, the wind has been so bad lucky to get out on the Quabbin 2 days a week. Constant 2-3 footers. Definitely the worst out there since I moved up here.