Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Pattern/obs thread.

weathafella

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

Probably warmer than normal with high dew points based on the SSTAs as they currently stand. The position of the ridging based on the SSTA assumptions probably won’t allow for too many outbreaks of extreme heat. Above normal rainfall with some possible tropical moisture (based on an active hurricane season and position of the ridging) looks reasonable.

Summer is coming!

• Like 1

Looks like anyone below ~ 700 f  elevation went < 32 last night.   Definitely a drainage factor with that surface high cresting directly overhead/thru the area over night.  

Interestingly ..the 850 mb turned continental prior to dawn, and will be above 0 C across the entire area by mid afternoon.   We are not likely to mix the BL to that adiabatic depth, but... 900 is also in the +6 to +4 range ( SW-->NE), over WSW flow and > 70% sun ...  Today should have some bangin' diurnal recovery..  I'm wondering if we may even approach 35 F in some cases.    

58 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Even MVY in the 20s. Glad we don’t live there. We green and grow. On our way to a summer of SA.

I love that my area radiates well because I want to record freezes as late as I can in order to delay the growing season....get that as short as possible, as it means less chores.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Although some species are not as pronounced. Wonder what species is what.

I think we're close to schedule here.  April is running about 2° AN but w/o real warmth, just no cold, though we had 22 this morning, tied for month's coldest.  Coldest daily mean this month is 35 and if that stands (10-to-1 it will) it would be the least cold for April's coldest in 24 years here.  (4/99 bottomed at 34.5 so it's close.)  Just a mini record but shows the lack of cold. 

Quaking aspen male catkins are fully formed, red and silver maples blossomed last week and the petals now litter the ground.  Willow buds are open with some bits of green.  Oak, sugar maple, ash, basswood remain at midwinter form, which is normal for the date.  It's been a windy month so far but I don't know whether/how that affects spring phenology. 

36 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looks like anyone below ~ 700 f  elevation went < 32 last night.   Definitely a drainage factor with that surface high cresting directly overhead/thru the area over night.  

Interestingly ..the 850 mb turned continental prior to dawn, and will be above 0 C across the entire area by mid afternoon.   We are not likely to mix the BL to that adiabatic depth, but... 900 is also in the +6 to +4 range ( SW-->NE), over WSW flow and > 70% sun ...  Today should have some bangin' diurnal recovery..  I'm wondering if we may even approach 35 F in some cases.    

I'm above 700 and only got down to 34.

40 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I love that my area radiates well because I want to record freezes as late as I can in order to delay the growing season....get that as short as possible, as it means less chores.

Grass will grow though. Especially if you get sun. 
You, Mitch, and Ineedsnow should get an apt together. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. It’s been a chilly spring so far with Some nice days mixed in but it would be good to get into a sustained warm pattern. Unfortunately the latter half of next week looks like dung again. 

What has been noticeable has been the wind...it seems that regardless of temperature/sun/clouds the wind is always blowing away. Of course not on clear nights, when the temp can plummet, trying to kill all of my plants

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

24 at Beckett Mass at 1700 feet. Not fake there

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, my grass hasn't grown....so your growing season is fake.

You also probably don't cover it with chemicals all year like he does. I won't need to cut my lawn until at least memorial day since we don't fertilize it. Plus the hill I'm on is pretty much a granite rock so the soil quality here is garbage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

You also probably don't cover it with chemicals all year like he does. I won't need to cut my lawn until at least memorial day since we don't fertilize it. Plus the hill I'm on is pretty much a granite rock so the soil quality here is garbage.

Fake grass on the summit of Tolland?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Similar here.   I usually get my first mow in later May.   I rarely put stuff down and have a dense clay soil.  

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I hope we don't have to deal with a persist cyclone like we did the first few months of last spring/summer but it keeps popping up on models. I hope as we go deep into May the pattern alters slightly (no low heights just to our north) and we can run a train of EML's in here

This plot is not dissimilar to the PNA

No EML’s fo you.

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

24 at Beckett Mass at 1700 feet. Not fake there

I've noticed that folks aren't very mindful of the importance of elevation relative to surrounding environments....at the end of the day, that is the determining factor with respect to radiation; not absolute elevation. If you are at 1000' elevation and surrounded by 1500' topography, you are still going to radiate. Not saying that is the case per se at Beckett, though it maybe more nuanced.

This is why elevated valleys are prime spots for retention....best of both worlds.

• Like 1