Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Pattern/obs thread.

weathafella

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

This was really the best April. Actually dove into the water at Weekapaug RI and suffered the worst ice cream headache ever. Beach was crowded, parties lasted all night at the cabanas.

We drove our 1971 Beetle from NNJ to Fort Kent that Sunday, about all that little air-cooled engine could handle - lots of metal pings when we turned off the engine.  Stopped in Boston to visit my BIL and his Hawaiian wife - she had no issues with the heat but we were dying.  As we approached their apartment steps a rat scuttled across in front of us but was too fat to fit down the rathole and had to keep running.  :o  Then we had a massive meat-and-potatoes dinner with the apt temp well into the 80s.  Fort Kent never got much over 60 and that cool air was sooooo sweet.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Heaviest, wettest snow I’ve skied all year.  Gets a little drier up top but there is a ton of water in here.  It’s the kind of base building storm you dream of in December, before the fake upslope starts tonight.  Id guess 6 or so at 1800’ but more like 10 up at 3500’.  I think we pull another 4-6 tonight once this drizzle now changes over.

FC51FDF0-FF19-4AB7-A64C-8CCA6E2B4D9F.jpeg

8B954D0E-47B1-44A3-B9E0-02C46D4CC87B.jpeg

12FB672E-3627-4DA1-888D-670E90E5E18C.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Heaviest, wettest snow I’ve skied all year.  Gets a little drier up top but there is a ton of water in here.  It’s the kind of base building storm you dream of in December, before the fake upslope starts tonight.  Id guess 6 or so at 1800’ but more like 10 up at 3500’.  I think we pull another 4-6 tonight once this drizzle now changes over.

That's awesome.  Good move to head up for the snowstorm.  There has to be zero people there.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wow at the temperature gradient across N.VT....

Island Pond, Gallup Mills, usual very cold spots in NE VT are 50-55F right now, while BTV is 34F with light sleet.

Newport, VT near 50F too at the Canadian border.  Wild.

T.thumb.jpg.dc718e582023a18e75b752106c9df9ff.jpg

3k nam really going crazy with the upslope tonight after midnight up here.  Has another foot, though likely over done.

EDCAE04D-F9EF-436B-A76B-25C6DA4DDCE3.jpeg

I'm sure when this April's 'state of the climate' is published later in May, it will be in the top 5 warmest Aprils since chisel and hammer.

Yet, this region of the N/A continent will not only be the coldest region relative to that above normal month/planet, it will almost singularly be weighting the average down ... owning 90% of the offset ballast.   

There is something about springs in the last 10 years, where this continental folding/-NAO domain shit kicks in late, that picks on this region of the globe.   Seasonal lapsing ... It's been happening regardless of ENSO this, solar that.. N. Pac this ... over the last decade.  I know why it is - I think - but ..no one will read it if it is written, so I won't. 

That said, it may not mean snow flurries in May, either. But for warm enthusiasts, you're likely not going to see 1976 or 2002 - even though those year's springs were also led by a NINA 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Why does having a child change one's temperature preference? 

That's a good question....I haven't figured it out yet. My temp preferences haven't changed since having kids.

I have a lower tolerance for early autumn cold I guess, but that isn't from having kids....I started preferring mild weather into October about 10 years ago.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm just happier when the kids are outside and enjoying the warmer weather. Maybe it's me lol. Same in winter. Out in the snow and enjoying it. 

But do they not go outside at 75F vs 90F?

I’d almost think kids are more likely to play outside when it’s not blistering hot.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’d almost think kids are more likely to play outside when it’s not blistering hot.

Yeah this is my point....I've always loved 70s to maybe low 80s (if it's dry) outside and my kids aren't complaining that it's too cold when its 77F outdoors.....lol. I've had them complain when it's 94F outside and we aren't at a pool or beach.

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this is my point....I've always loved 70s to maybe low 80s (if it's dry) outside and my kids aren't complaining that it's too cold when its 77F outdoors.....lol. I've had them complain when it's 94F outside and we aren't at a pool or beach.

As a kid 70s or 80s that aren’t excessive humid/hot was the sweet spot and still is… street hockey, baseball, football, manhunt, etc.  No one wanted to do that stuff at 92/70… you’d be inside the AC playing Nintendo.

And as kids I feel like they have a high tolerance, like we’d swim in the lake in CT at 60F and pouring rain. Didn’t matter the temp.  Never do that now lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

As a kid 70s or 80s that aren’t excessive humid/hot was the sweet spot and still is… street hockey, baseball, football, manhunt, etc.  No one wanted to do that stuff at 92/70… you’d be inside the AC playing Nintendo.

And as kids I feel like they have a high tolerance, like we’d swim in the lake in CT at 60F and pouring rain. Didn’t matter the temp.  Never do that now lol.

When I was a kid I would always swim at the lake in the Adirondacks on Memorial Day...Some years the ice would have broken up only 4 weeks prior.  That kind of action would be tough for me to do today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

I love the warm summer evening/nights with occasional bangers. Besides, by 5-7pm it's in the high 70's or 80's and gorgeous out.  Unless we're talking about those 100/75 type airmasses

The one redeeming quality of the torching summer of 1995 was the number of epic nocturnal storms we had....it felt like we were in the ring of fire for weeks at a time. Even if you didn't get a storm, they were close enough to see the lightning flashing in the distance or hear some rumbles as you went to sleep.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sure outside at 75. But that’s too cold for other stuff. Beach, pool, lake etc. I’ll give you 80s with low humidity. That’s fine. 

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Coastal makes sure they are out enjoying themselves by 10 am and then unlocks the doors to let them back in for dinner . I would do the same . 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Music to my ears...kill as much time as we can with that pattern between now and November.

you pay a hefty premium for nicer weather than that.

I’d move if I loved this weather. If not wanting to leave the country, get something dirt cheap in down east Maine. 

Through first week in may GFS op struggles to get one(?) location in New England to 70 through entire time series.The euro is pretty much the same. Run after run showing gahbich.

Impressively bad.

“Where warm fronts go to die” shifts from Winne to NYC, just in time for spring. FTL.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1