Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Pattern/obs thread.

weathafella

3 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Long Guidance is brutal. Haven’t seen a legit tropical airmass (warm sector) since late October and none in sight. 

Dewless 50’s are a reprieve in late winter but into late April, it just flat out doesn’t cut it anymore.

welcome to Scotland 

Music to my ears...kill as much time as we can with that pattern between now and November.

• Like 3

This snowfall puts me at 90" for the season, give or take an inch or two that I missed by not recording every trace.  On the surface it looks like an ok winter but with all the cutters and melt downs it really struggled to reach a D.  And to add insult to injury, my mailbox just became a casualty of this crappy winter.IMG_2886.jpg.66689fda64a309f11fc8dcf85d6326d9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

This snowfall puts me at 90" for the season, give or take an inch or two that I missed by not recording every trace.  On the surface it looks like an ok winter but with all the cutters and melt downs it really struggled to reach a D.  And to add insult to injury, my mailbox just became a casualty of this crappy winter.IMG_2886.jpg.66689fda64a309f11fc8dcf85d6326d9.jpg

Oh man, that's when you just want to shake your fist at the sky like that Simpson's old guy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Not sure about surprised.  I new we were on the line and could go either way.  Probably disappointed is the closer reaction or maybe sadness and disgust for some. :P

Probably the worst drive of the season,  Few plow trucks out there on the interstate (1-89).  Up to 6' of slush on the highway, just one lane usable in most sports due to depth of slush, many people without winter tires on.  I say one truck one its side and 5 or 6 off to the side of the road, many cars off the road too.

I still have the studded Hakkas on the Subaru so I felt fine but couldn't pass much due to the conditions in the passing lane being too bad.

38 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Nice, been a good April in the Northern Greens, up high at least.

Total crap over in NH.

Two friends in Elmore, VT just northeast of here both reporting like 7-8" at elevations of like 1200-1400ft.

Said more than the ski area.  Looks like they got crushed in about 3 hours of 2"/hr or more.

Untitled.jpg.cd1c53090725c211b65a183151c098d0.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Two friends in Elmore, VT just northeast of here both reporting like 7-8" at elevations of like 1200-1400ft.

Said more than the ski area.  Looks like they got crushed in about 3 hours of 2"/hr or more.

Untitled.jpg.cd1c53090725c211b65a183151c098d0.jpg

Spring blue ... 

....any questions with that photo?   Gorgeous!

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Ray will enjoy the warm weather now with two kids. Trips to the beach...him running down the slip 'n slide in the back yard giggling and laughing like a scene from "The Notebook".....he will come around. 

No he won't....I have kids and still don't like the heat. We take 75-85 all summer....that's plenty warm.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Where was this during winter. This pattern screams backdoor fronts 

The synoptic mechanics that give rise to the BD phenomenon are less likely observed in DJF, that's why.  

I mean I realize your question's in jest, but BD's ( also..) don't save winters in the alternate sense, either.  That's not the function they serve.  Just to kid around a bit, if want to place a function for them?  It is for the sole purpose to f* up an afternoon and/or pinch New England off from early warmth .. .nothing else.  They "might" have some redeeming value if they could ever cut into a torrid heat wave with an ahh air mass, but that seems to never happen.  They appear to favorably take place during season ending winter ... struggling to break into spring and summer - right in there when the warm opportunities are fragile, they strike and persecute. lol -   

No but BDs happen for a few complex factors. Some of which are not even atmospheric, but because the region along roughly PA-Mt Katahdin in N. Maine, is higher in elevation than east of that axis. That creates a pocket of "stranded" vectors E of Albany.  Basically, when the synoptic wind accelerates as it is moving from the SW or NW ( at synoptic scales/jets and so forth), that air is force over those elevations. This creates a natural physical counter force from the E in the pocket.   If the counter force is not already in place/realized, the BD will likely materialize and move SW accordingly.  If it is already in place, the E flow will just get stronger .. unnoticed.

In the atmospheric heart of winter...the core of the westerlies tends to be south of our latitude ( generally .. since CC one can argue, based on empirical data, too -), such that there are less occurrence of wind accelerations coming from those directions/aloft, creating less restorative forcing east of the elevations.  The other aspect is that there are less diurnally created temperature differences between western NS and Washington D.C. during winter. There are differences that are huge, but synoptic restoring forces are already moving in that case.  But the daily made variety, there is less buoyancy forcing. From mid spring on, a sunny day in NJ will create a lot of lift there...and if there is a colder, denser air mass over eastern Maine, it will tend to come SW under the rising potential.   These are seldom found circumstances during the winter months.         

• Like 1