Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
April Pattern/obs thread.

weathafella

17 minutes ago, HinghamBoss said:

Wow, I am surprised by the sentiment over the last couple pages of this thread.  I admit April has been hardly perfect, but it has felt decent in the context of other really horrible Aprils we have had.  

It's an entirely subjective coursework of discussion ...I think we can all agree there. Still, I don't believe anyone is arguing against what you're saying.

April's suck - period.   It's just a matter of scale and degree, like you just said...but people are grousing to that aspect alone. 

Whether this one is better(worse) relative to that expectation ...that's a separate reality.  No one really gives a shit that it's 'less shitty' than some other year in shits.  We're still in the shits either way.  Yeah, it's not 40 F with driving miasma of Labradorian mist with occasional non accumulating nape stinging cat-paw type snow...   It hasn't been "that" bad.   But no one's saying it has... 

That's just my subjective take. lol -

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HinghamBoss said:

Wow, I am surprised by the sentiment over the last couple pages of this thread.  I admit April has been hardly perfect, but it has felt decent in the context of other really horrible Aprils we have had.  

The month of April is usually  made out to be worse than what it is. While winter months are usually made out to be better than what they are.....well especially lately..

21 minutes ago, HinghamBoss said:

This April is absolutely better than probably the last 5-6 Aprils...one exception might be 2017 which was really nice....we've really had some dogshit Aprils since 2016. But this month has been pretty wet which kind of puts a damper on the relative mildness. But it could be far worse....so can't complain too much.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HinghamBoss said:

It's because no matter what April does, it will always be subject to the most extreme seasonal lag in the entire year. Noon sun is nearly 60 degrees in the sky, and yet the temps can still be stuck in the upper-40s. This time of year, mid-spring, always feels like an under performer to me. Even when people are like, "Well, April is +4!!!!!" I'm like, so what. It's still the same 50's or 60's, and the cookouts are still not really happening until May. 

Conversely, I'm always amazed at how long summer like temps can last into September, and how nice October has been lately. When the seasonal lag is in our favor, Sep/Oct seem like they over perform again and again.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Well, it’s going to fall where nobody lives. I bet Savoy Mountain SP is probably good for 2-4”.

Yeah there might be some surprises when people wake up. We have had some “fake” spring snow events last couple of years where the temps were marginal and it happened during the daytime hours, so they were duds. With most of this event happening mostly overnight there’s a better chance of accumulation in the places where it can happen…

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why does NNE have so much mud ? It seems like there’s so much complaining about it every year. It can’t be all that different than SNE. We don’t have a mud season. The snow melts.. you stay off the lawn for a few days and then it’s dry. Is it just due to dirt roads and no pavement?

VT has something like 8000 miles of dirt roads vs. 6000 of paved roads. Also, the ground freezes deeper so it takes longer to thaw. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why does NNE have so much mud ? It seems like there’s so much complaining about it every year. It can’t be all that different than SNE. We don’t have a mud season. The snow melts.. you stay off the lawn for a few days and then it’s dry. Is it just due to dirt roads and no pavement?

It's how deep the ground freezes.  It's worse the colder the climate.

The ground thaws from the surface downward, but because the ground’s lower layers deep underground don’t warm as quickly and remain frozen, water from melting snow and chilly spring rains aren’t able to seep down very far. Instead, this water sits near the surface where it waterlogs the top layer of soil and creates a sea of mud.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's how deep the ground freezes.  It's worse the colder the climate.

The ground thaws from the surface downward, but because the ground’s lower layers deep underground don’t warm as quickly and remain frozen, water from melting snow and chilly spring rains aren’t able to seep down very far. Instead, this water sits near the surface where it waterlogs the top layer of soil and creates a sea of mud.

Similar to a Ginx poo season ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Went for a walk today and it was absolutely raw outside. 45 with windchills in the mid 30s and gusty winds felt like mid winter.

Looks like a fun storm for PA/NY.

Radar:

RAD_MOS_STATE_NY_L2WINTER_ANI.gif

Your logo looks like a bison. Almost like the Wyoming state flag. 

• Like 1