• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Pattern/obs thread.

weathafella

Lol. COL is way too high for this shit weather. Why?

New England has too many transients—people who live here only 3-6 months a year and stay in their Florida Condos the other 6. Resi real estate inflated. And those small businesses we all love also take the hit, paying high rent for 12 months on revenues of half the population for 6. “Look at all those nice homes! Great demographics! High Disposable income!” Ehh, but the occupants are 1500 miles away bro. Check back in May. 

Oof.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Monday looks nice but may have to watch shwrs/storms Tuesday with ridge running. After that, we may door. Key will be if it’s the kind where we have low clouds with a warm front close by, or push that thing so far south and west we dry out from the northeast. 

What day is Kevin's 80s?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

New England has too many transients—people who live here only 3-6 months a year and stay in their Florida Condos the other 6. Resi real estate inflated. And those small businesses we all love also take the hit, paying high rent for 12 months on revenues of half the population for 6. “Look at all those nice homes! Great demographics! High Disposable income!” Ehh, but the occupants are 1500 miles away bro. Check back in May. 

Oof.

Except New England is a vacation mecca....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Oof.

Beer?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Oof.

hyperbole much? there really aren't all that many people in NE who are snowbirds (winter in FL). I'd hazard a guess that it is less than 10%, probably closer to 5%. Maybe in your specific area, but certainly not region-wide. No way

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

hyperbole much? there really aren't all that many people in NE who are snowbirds (winter in FL). I'd hazard a guess that it is less than 10%, probably closer to 5%. Maybe in your specific area, but certainly not region-wide. No way

I was scratching my head over that one as well.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Monday looks nice but may have to watch shwrs/storms Tuesday with ridge running. After that, we may door. Key will be if it’s the kind where we have low clouds with a warm front close by, or push that thing so far south and west we dry out from the northeast. 

Not to be priggish but ... I was analyzing the fields on the various guidance more closely and it appears to me that the warm front never actually gets through here in the first place.  The models pin it south through the week.  They may raise sfc pressure modestly to 'rub it in' Wed but it first materializes through PA Monday and arcs E but S of SNE...and doesn't actually end up N of us at any time afterward...

I'm okay with it really.  Ne'er had expectations/ambitions for that to succeed.  Hell, it's the month of Anus ... (Jan, Feb, Mar, Anus, May...). It's the planned cold dumpster timing of the planetary system to use specifically New England as a means to offset the entire climate change quota :axe:

That said, Monday ends up 67 at 5 pm amid imperceptible west drift for me in that look.  Easy call that MOS is likely too chilly in that look. Euro has 56 in the area?  joke.  It'll be milder than that with those synoptic params. 

I mean, as long as it ain't pointing Labrador's butt as us ... I don't have expectations beyond 67 with near or at full sun, anyway, and with light west flag wobbles (no ocean) we don't need warm sectors VIP to party. 

Still a chance to modulate of course.

10 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Some loud thunder last night even for being off in the distance a bit. 

'atmospheric ducting' ....   the typical nocturnal inversion (also) gets enhanced by/when rain cools(ed) air.  But the sound waves travel more efficiently in the cooler denser air, such that they deflect back downward along the elevated boundary - it's quasi-amplification process.   Thunder typically does sound louder at night in those settings.   In mid summer, breezy and cT air types ..not so much, because the nocturnal inversion is either too shallow and/or doesn't exist at all.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

You’re way off on these numbers, especially since Covid. Covid (more remote work) + housing bubble + no interest on savings has a ton of people owning more than one home. 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

You’re way off on these numbers, especially since Covid. Covid (more remote work) + housing bubble + no interest on savings has a ton of people owning more than one home. 

you are correct, but I think it's the other way around-more people from other areas (MA, CT, RI, NY) own second homes in NH, VT, ME. but those aren't snowbirds per se. 

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Pope melted.  RE is not absurdly high outside of Boston area especially NNE.  

A neighbor just put their house on the market for north of $1.2M. They paid $490K in 2020. They updated the kitchen and that’s it. Needs a roof, siding, windows. This caused quite the stir with the Rockport townies. 

40 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Pope melted.  RE is not absurdly high outside of Boston area especially NNE.  

Have you looked at real estate prices lately? They have risen dramatically in the last 18 months.  Homes in the southern part of NNE have become very pricey for a decent place.  600K+ and that doesn't include the amount someone has to overbid just to get an offer considered. And often times the homes need 75K-125K of additional work. 

• Thanks 2