Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
spring banter

forkyfork

On 5/26/2022 at 9:21 PM, LibertyBell said:

I hope no one has seen those giant Joba spiders that were supposed to be coming up the coast either.

Do you have a map for those too?

Thanks!

joro spider

it’s too early for large spiders anyway, if they make it up here you wouldn’t start seeing them until deep summer

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2022 at 9:13 PM, forkyfork said:

mostly in nj/nyc so far. li and the suburbs need to warm up more

Screenshot_20220526-211445.jpg

They're here!  I saw them on Friday when I was gardening.  Three of them so far.

Is there a particular type of tree they go for? There haven't been any at my other house in the Poconos--  is that because of elevation or a type of tree that isn't present there?  I noticed they're in the lower elevations near Wilkes Barre, so you could say it's an elevation thing, but up on the mountain, I've never seen them, even in the hottest part of summer.  So maybe the trees they like aren't up there?

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

They're here!  I saw them on Friday when I was gardening.  Three of them so far.

Is there a particular type of tree they go for? There haven't been any at my other house in the Poconos--  is that because of elevation or a type of tree that isn't present there?  I noticed they're in the lower elevations near Wilkes Barre, so you could say it's an elevation thing, but up on the mountain, I've never seen them, even in the hottest part of summer.  So maybe the trees they like aren't up there?

they like tree of heaven, also an invasive species. that horrible weed tree that grows anywhere

• Thanks 1

Just now, forkyfork said:

they like tree of heaven, also an invasive species. that horrible weed tree that grows anywhere

Yes!  That's what I heard too!  What a name for a horrible weed.  I guess I don't have them up there so that's why they are here and not on the mountain.  I wish there was a way to get rid of them.  I'd burn them down if I could.

Just dropping by the regional forums to let everyone know there's a seasonal hurricane forecast contest open here:

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/57386-2022-north-atlantic-hurricane-forecast-contest-_-enter-by-june-1st/?tab=comments#comment-6537694

Deadline is Wed June 1st. 

(also a reminder to regular entrants _ temp forecast contest, main forum, includes seasonal max this month)

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 12:53 PM, LibertyBell said:

Where do you live that you aren't up to speed on SLF? They've overrun most of NJ and EPA and all our media has been talking about them for years. The depts of ag have run major info campaigns about them too. 

1 hour ago, TheManWithNoFace said:

Where do you live that you aren't up to speed on SLF? They've overrun most of NJ and EPA and all our media has been talking about them for years. The depts of ag have run major info campaigns about them too. 

looks like cutting down tree of heaven is the best thing we can do

https://www.audubon.org/news/birds-are-one-line-defense-against-dreaded-spotted-lanternflies

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

looks like cutting down tree of heaven is the best thing we can do

https://www.audubon.org/news/birds-are-one-line-defense-against-dreaded-spotted-lanternflies

There's nothing you can do unless if you live in a city and there's not enough alternative host plants. The SLF have a list a dozen trees long. They love walnuts and will colonize maples. Can't cut all them down 

1 hour ago, TheManWithNoFace said:

There's nothing you can do unless if you live in a city and there's not enough alternative host plants. The SLF have a list a dozen trees long. They love walnuts and will colonize maples. Can't cut all them down 

i completely agree but cutting down tree of heaven is always a good idea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheManWithNoFace said:

I had heard of them in E PA but didn't realize they made it here.  They haven't gotten to my house up in the Poconos though and that's probably because of what Forky said, that "Tree From Hell" doesn't exist up there.

They literally just got to Long Island so I didn't pay it much attention until now.

17 hours ago, forkyfork said:

march 2001 has a better chance of happening than me seeing a meteor in this area

Funny that you mentioned 2001 lol.....that was the last time we had a true meteor storm in this area.

November 2001, I remember it like yesterday, got up at 5 AM to see this amazing silent fireworks display outside, forget about light pollution, you didn't even need to be looking up to see them!  I counted at least 100 every minute for 15 minutes in heavily light polluted states (same skies that could just barely see Comet Hale Bopp.)

Mighty November 2001.....the Cat 5 of Meteor Storms!

Summary: Sky watchers who saw it will never forget it: the 2001 Leonid meteor storm. The display began on Sunday morning, Nov. 18th, when Earth glided into a dust cloud shed by comet Tempel-Tuttle in 1766. Thousands of meteors per hour rained over North America and Hawaii.

https://spaceweather.com/meteors/gallery_18nov01.html

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap970408.html

Explanation: What's that point of light above the World Trade Center? It's Comet Hale-Bopp! Both faster than a speeding bullet and able to "leap" tall buildings in its single orbit, Comet Hale-Bopp is also bright enough to be seen even over the glowing lights of one of the world's premier cities. In the foreground lies the East River, while much of New York City's Lower Manhattan can be seen between the river and the comet. Comet Hale-Bopp is now moving away from both the Sun and the Earth. It should, however, should remain visible even in northern cities for at least a month. To find Comet Hale-Bopp, look for the brightest object in the northwest sky just after sunset - or wait for its return in 2400 years.

Just to prove that beautiful celestial objects can be seen from NYC!

I remember seeing both the November 2001 Leonid Meteor Storm and Comet Hale Bopp from 1997 really well.

Unfortunately with rare visitations like these you sometimes get unspeakably horrible human behavior

https://www.space.com/19931-hale-bopp.html

Comet Hale-Bopp was an unusually bright comet that flew by Earth, reaching its closest approach to the planet in 1997. It was most spectacular in the Northern Hemisphere and visible to the naked eye for about 18 months.

Hale-Bopp was probably one of the most viewed comets in history. With an absolute magnitude of -1, the comet was one of the brightest comets to reach the inner solar system in recorded history, NASA said (opens in new tab). Hale-Bopp appeared 1,000 times brighter (opens in new tab)than Halley's Comet did at the same distance.  Its twin blue-and-white tails were clearly visible even from light-polluted areas such as Chicago.

Sadly, there was a tragic footnote to the appearance of Hale-Bopp, 39 people who were part of the "Heaven's Gate" cult in San Diego committed mass suicide as the comet came close to Earth.

• Rjay unpinned this topic