Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022

Damage In Tolland

On 10/31/2022 at 1:24 PM, Baroclinic Zone said:

Lawn still going here as well.  Just did a leaf clean up ahead of tnite.  Gonna be a long month with majority of leaves still on trees.

Did 1st oak cleanup up.  Glad I did as there was a ton of them.  Looking at the trees and the oaks are still mostly full. 

16 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Did 1st oak cleanup up.  Glad I did as there was a ton of them.  Looking at the trees and the oaks are still mostly full. 

mine came down unusually fast. all oaks completely bare within 2 weeks. pretty strange if you ask me

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

When I do my final mow, probably this week, do I cut to the lowest setting and mulch the clippings/remaining leaves rather than bag? I’ve made so much progress rebuilding the lawn I don’t want to screw it up. 

Mulching leaves is some of the best organic material you can add to your lawn, and its free. Just make sure they are relatively small pieces so they can break down without actually smothering it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is, essentially, what we're working towards here.  As little grass as possible/as much food or native flowers/shrubs as possible.

https://modernfarmer.com/2022/11/edible-landscaping-foodscaping/

We've had 3 growing seasons of transformations and have reduced about 1/3 of our lawn (a 0.25ish acre lot).  Goal is for 2/3 of the lawn to be replaced by growing space, the rest retained (untreated, of course) for recreation in the warm months.

Materials to turn the lawn via sheet-mulching are mostly free.  In the fall, we cover the desired area in cardboard from package deliveries or the city recycling center, followed by compost (as much as we can source on our own), and topped with wood chips delivered for free by the city.  By the spring, the area is ready for planting.  Compost/Mulch/Soil mix for top dressing as desired.  

You can be bound to your lawn or turn it into something that benefits you and the environment - I know what I'm choosing.

• 1 month later...

Mowed yesterday after raking all the pine needles from my arborvitae’s that fell during the storm. 3 bags later…

Anyone else seeing their arborvitae’s shed internal needles at a ridiculous rate this yr? Read up a bit and it’s either the spring/ summer drought or they are all doing a periodic shedding at the same time. Weird 

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, Supernovice said:

Mowed yesterday after raking all the pine needles from my arborvitae’s that fell during the storm. 3 bags later…

Anyone else seeing their arborvitae’s shed internal needles at a ridiculous rate this yr? Read up a bit and it’s either the spring/ summer drought or they are all doing a periodic shedding at the same time. Weird 

When I had them they would drop a lot.  I had them cut down since I loathe them.  

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Too early to wire rack your grass ? Minor dethatching and pick up sticks

if the ground is thawed and not saturated, have at it. Though you might have to repeat in the event of another snow/wind event.

March 2012 i had my lawn raked and ready for spring on St Pats day