Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022

Damage In Tolland

9 hours ago, Hoth said:

Good! I'm told the monarchs are going back on the endangered list sadly.

I’ve got a couple on a handful of milkweed plants on the backside of my garage. I’m going to make a small area in the back yard next year that is all milkweed and wildflowers. 
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I’ve got a couple on a handful of milkweed plants on the backside of my garage. I’m going to make a small area in the back yard next year that is all milkweed and wildflowers. 
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is the area between my yard and a town picnic area. It’s full of milkweed. It makes a good border between me and the picnic area. 

77BC8F81-2A0B-4646-9BD1-77F7EBFA6988.jpeg

• Like 5

On 8/1/2022 at 9:53 PM, Chrisrotary12 said:

Golf course noticeably burnt tonight. Played like St. Andrews.

I last played golf about 20 years ago.  I played a round at St. Andrews that day with some local kids from the university.  They were all good, I was not.  By the 15th hole, to be able to finish the round I had to buy some balls from some local kids who were fishing them out of a pond.  I had lost all the others into the gorse, the ocean, or who knows where.  I wonderful experience nonetheless.

• Haha 2

On 7/31/2022 at 7:33 AM, dendrite said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We have an area that borders the woods just outside the fence in this photo that's our milkweed area.  Similar to what @mreavesposted.  

This year we planted Mexican Sunflowers in the box adjacent to that area and we've been flush with polinators including monarchs, bees, hummingbirds and something I didn't know existed:  hummingbird moths (second photo).  

I highly recommend these sunflowers for any pollinator garden.

Screenshot_20220804-141318_Gallery.jpg

20220731_091745.jpg

• Like 2

Just mowed.  The majority of the lawn has survived quite well, and this is with about 2.5" of rain since July 1st, no watering, no fert, no lime.  Nada.  The clover is starting to brown and thin in spots, but the "summer" grasses have thickened in and are nice and green.  In the fall the summer stuff will die back and the other grasses will thicken back up and stay there through late spring.  I usually get a lot of wild plantain but this year they are really struggling to get a foothold in the lawn, which is fine with me.  We had to reseed a lot of areas in late May, due to construction, and the shaded areas grew in fine, but the full sun stuff areas burned out once I stopped watering in July and are now all crabgrass.  I think I'm just going to rake out as much as I can, topdress and reseed in the fall, rather than nuke the crabgrass with herbicide and then have to wait all over again for that to wear off before reseeding.

lawn.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

When do we start the lawn repairs in CT…aerate, overseeding? I’m thinking around labor day, depending on the weather. Thoughts?

Labor day weekend is the perfect weekend to do it. nights are getting cooler, days are stil nice and warm to grow grass. although down were you are in the banana belt you could get away with it 1-2 weeks later. i do mine early so it has a chance to grow before leaf sucking season