Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022

Damage In Tolland

• 2 weeks later...

Maine has released their updated invasive species/no-sell list effective 2024.

V.	List of Regulated Invasive Terrestrial Plant Species

Evaluated plant species that meet the criteria for all of the categories listed in section II.

Scientific name	Common name	Effective Date
Acer platanoides	Norway maple	1/1/2018
Alliaria petiolata	Garlic mustard	1/1/2018
Berberis thunbergii	Japanese barberry	1/1/2018
Celastrus orbiculatus	Asiatic bittersweet	1/1/2018
Elaeagnus umbellata	Autumn olive	1/1/2018
Euonymus alatus	Winged euonymus,burning bush	1/1/2018
Fallopia japonica	Japanese knotweed	1/1/2018
Frangula alnus	Glossy buckthorn	1/1/2018
Hesperius matronalis	Dame’s rocket	1/1/2018
Iris pseudacorus	Yellow iris	1/1/2018
Lonicera morrowii	Morrow’s honeysuckle	1/1/2018
Lonicera tatarica	Tartarian honeysuckle	1/1/2018
Lythrum salicaria	Purple loosestrife	1/1/2018
Robinia pseudoacacia	Black locust	1/1/2018
Rosa multiflora	Multiflora rose	1/1/2018
Acer ginnala	Amur maple	1/1/2018
Aegopodium podagraria	Bishop’s weed, goutweed	1/1/2018
Ailanthus altissima	Tree of heaven	1/1/2018
Amorpha fruticosa	False indigo bush	1/1/2018
Artemisia vulgaris	Common mugwort	1/1/2018
Berberis vulgaris	Common barberry	1/1/2018
Euphorbia cyparissias	Cypress spurge	1/1/2018
Ligustrum vulgare	Common privet	1/1/2018
Lonicera japonica	Japanese honeysuckle	1/1/2018
Lonicera maackii	Amur or bush honeysuckle	1/1/2018
Populus alba	White cottonwood	1/1/2018
Impatiens glandulifera	Ornamental jewelweed	1/1/2018
Ampelopsis glandulosa	Porcelain berry	1/1/2018
Fallopia baldschuanica	Chinese bindweed, silver lace vine	1/1/2018
Microstegium vimineum	Stilt grass	1/1/2018
Paulownia tomentosa	Paulownia, princess tree	1/1/2018
Persicaria perfoliata	Mile a minute weed	1/1/2018
Phellodendron amurense	Amur cork tree	1/1/2018
Alnus glutinosa	European alder	1/1/2024
Angelica sylvestris	Woodland angelica	1/1/2024
Anthriscus sylvestris	Wild chervil, raven's wing	1/1/2024
Aralia elata	Japanese angelica tree	1/1/2024
Butomus umbellatus	Flowering rush	1/1/2024
Elaeagnus angustifolia	Russian olive	1/1/2024
Euonymus fortunei	Wintercreeper, climbing spindle tree	1/1/2024
Festuca filiformis	Fine-leaved sheep fescue	1/1/2024
Ficaria verna	Lesser celandine	1/1/2024
Glaucium flavum	Yellow hornpoppy	1/1/2024
Glechoma hederacea	Ground ivy, creeping charlie	1/1/2024
Glyceria maxima	Great mannagrass, reed mannagrass	1/1/2024
Hippophae rhamnoides	Sea buckthorn	1/1/2024
Ligustrum obtusifolium	Border privet	1/1/2024
Lonicera xylosteum	Dwarf honeysuckle	1/1/2024
Lythrum virgatum	European wand loosestrife	1/1/2024
Miscanthus sacchariflorus	Amur silvergrass	1/1/2024
Petasites japonicus	Fuki, butterbur, giant butterbur	1/1/2024
Phalaris arundinacea	Reed canary grass, variegated ribbon grass	1/1/2024
Photinia villosa	Photinia, christmas berry	1/1/2024
Phragmites australis	Common reed	1/1/2024
Phyllostachys aurea	Golden bamboo	1/1/2024
Phyllostachys aureosulcata	Yellow groove bamboo	1/1/2024
Pyrus calleryana	Callery ("Bradford") pear	1/1/2024
Ranunculus repens	Creeping buttercup	1/1/2024
Rubus phoenicolasius	Wineberry	1/1/2024
Silphium perfoliatum	Cup plant	1/1/2024
Sorbus aucuparia	European mountain-ash	1/1/2024
Tussilago farfara	Coltsfoot	1/1/2024
Valeriana officinalis	Common valerian	1/1/2024

VII.	Species Watch List

Evaluated plant species that do not currently meet all the criteria contained in section II but may meet those criteria within the next five years. These species are not subject to the prohibitions in Section III.

Scientific Name	Common Name
Actinidia arguta	Hardy kiwi
Akebia quinata	Chocolate vine; five-leaf akebia
Arum italicum	Italian arum
Broussonetia papyrifera	Paper mulberry
Buddleja davidii	Butterfly bush
Clematis terniflora	Yam-leaved virgin’s bower, sweet autumn
Dioscorea oppositifolia	Indian yam
Dioscorea polystachya	Chinese yam
Eragrostis curvula	Weeping lovegrass
Filipendula ulmaria	Queen of the meadow 
Lespedeza bicolor	Bicolor lespedeza, two-colored bush-clover
Ligustrum ovalifolium	California privet
Lonicera caerulea	Honeyberry, haskap
Lychnis flos-cuculi or Silene flos-cuculi	Ragged robin
Morus alba	White mulberry
Quercus acutissima	Sawtooth oak
Rosa rugosa	Rugosa rose, beach rose
Saccharum ravennae or Tripidium ravennae	Ravenna grass, hardy pampas grass
Salvia glutinosa	Sticky sage
Silybum marianum	Milk thistle
Spiraea japonica	Japanese spiraea
Symplocos paniculata	Sapphire-berry
Syringa reticulata	Japanese tree lilac
Toona sinensis	Chinese cedar
Ulmus pumila	Siberian elm
Viburnum dilatatum	Linden arrowwood
Viburnum sieboldii	Siebold viburnum
Wisteria floribunda	Japanese wisteria
Wisteria sinensis	Chinese wisteria

• Thanks 1

We give up.   We have been watering our lawns from our drilled well but can't keep up.  An inch or two of rain early next week will bring everything back to life.

The Emerald Ash Borer is really starting to hit hard here.  Our neighbors across the road have a dozen Ash trees around the house.  4 are now bare and a couple more dying.  I went over to a tree and pulled off a bit of bark and right there was a Borer.  We have 2 nice Ash trees and so far they are fine.  We called Tree Solutions here in Central NH.  The owner came out.  He was very informative.  He said there is an insecticide that is safe for people and animals and has a very high success rate in saving trees.  An application is good for 2 years.  So we spent $600 to save our Ash.

Our neighbors use there house as a getaway place.  They live in Boston.  I keep telling them about their Ash which will eventually fall on their house.  They are not concerned.  

Now we have the Beech disease heading north and the Spongy Caterpillars too.  In past we had the Elm disease and the Chestnut Blight.  Seems like tree diversity is going down the tubes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Now we have the Beech disease heading north and the Spongy Caterpillars too.  In past we had the Elm disease and the Chestnut Blight.  Seems like tree diversity is going down the tubes.

And don't forget about hemlock woolly adelgid. Sudden oak death is creeping into SW New England now.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

We give up.   We have been watering our lawns from our drilled well but can't keep up.  An inch or two of rain early next week will bring everything back to life.

The Emerald Ash Borer is really starting to hit hard here.  Our neighbors across the road have a dozen Ash trees around the house.  4 are now bare and a couple more dying.  I went over to a tree and pulled off a bit of bark and right there was a Borer.  We have 2 nice Ash trees and so far they are fine.  We called Tree Solutions here in Central NH.  The owner came out.  He was very informative.  He said there is an insecticide that is safe for people and animals and has a very high success rate in saving trees.  An application is good for 2 years.  So we spent $600 to save our Ash.

Our neighbors use there house as a getaway place.  They live in Boston.  I keep telling them about their Ash which will eventually fall on their house.  They are not concerned.  

A long-time silviculture professor (now retired) at U.Maine has said that up to 30% of white ash may be tolerant of EAB.  (Having worked with this man starting in 1980 during his grad school days, I have much respect for his opinion, so I'm cautiously optimistic.)  Others have noted that blue ash in the west also shows some tolerance.  Green ash and brown (black) ash, not so fortunate - next to zero tolerance, if that much.  In the upper Midwest and adjacent Canada, green ash is prevalent and most of it is dead.  Brown ash is an integral part of the culture of Maine's (and Maritimes') indigenous populations.  Probably no other people would be more impacted if EAB eliminated most/all of that species.

Fortunately, Asian longhorned beetle (ALB) appears to have been controlled, so far.  One hot spot was ORH, and the ALB damage (numerous holes 3/8" diameter or larger) significantly increased tree breaking from the 2008 ice storm.  The global society has its downsides.  However, I've not heard about any insects/diseases native only to the Americas that have caused serious problems across the ponds.

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

I’ve got several ash trees-all are dying thanks to the borer. I do have a couple that I have treated with root injections. so far so good

Green or white?

I have a ton of white ash seed if anyone wants to grow any. I may throw a bunch in a big container with soil and let them germinate and grow for a year before repotting during their first winter of dormancy…gotta keep them alive.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Green or white?

I have a ton of white ash seed if anyone wants to grow any. I may throw a bunch in a big container with soil and let them germinate and grow for a year before repotting during their first winter of dormancy…gotta keep them alive.

white I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Debating whether to mow the lawn.  Until this week it had maintained full green.  There's now a little brown mixed in.  It's funny how while dryness tends to hurt your regular grass, weeds and crabgrass seem to do just fine with it.

Edit:  I did mow it.......actually had grown really tall in large areas.  I bought a sprinkler so I'll water the areas that were tinging brown. 

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Debating whether to mow the lawn.  Until this week it had maintained full green.  There's now a little brown mixed in.  It's funny how while dryness tends to hurt your regular grass, weeds and crabgrass seem to do just fine with it.

Edit:  I did mow it.......it had actually had grown really tall in large areas over the past week.  I bought a sprinkler so I'll water the areas that were tinging brown. 

This is the first time I’ve ever really had a yard, and while it’s a lot of work I love it. I probably won’t be go crazy with it just because I can’t justify spending a lot of money on this to the wife, but I’ll make improvements where I can. 

The prior owners left a ton of overgrowth and weeds in the front and back. I’m two weeks in and it already looks much better after a mow. 

y5youAx.jpg

gBporTc.jpg

wBeOmXw.jpg

The overgrowth on the sides are so bad. :axe:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This is the first time I’ve ever really had a yard, and while it’s a lot of work I love it. I probably won’t be go crazy with it just because I can’t justify spending a lot of money on this to the wife, but I’ll make improvements where I can. 

The prior owners left a ton of overgrowth and weeds in the front and back. I’m two weeks in and it already looks much better after a mow. 

y5youAx.jpg

gBporTc.jpg

wBeOmXw.jpg

It's green!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

y5youAx.jpg

gBporTc.jpg

wBeOmXw.jpg

That’s honestly not bad, there is so good grass in there. And as far as the overgrowth… get a chainsaw and brush cutters and go to town, that won’t take long.

• Thanks 1

y5youAx.jpg

gBporTc.jpg

wBeOmXw.jpg

Looks like wild grape vines? That stuff is everywhere down here, along with Virginia Creeper. Grows so fast and a pain to get rid of. Good luck!

gBporTc.jpg

Is that kudzu on the right? :lol:

None of that looks that bad. If that's overgrowth you'd cringe here. I've been letting milkweed run wild in the yard and the monarch caterpillars are loving it.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

None of that looks that bad. If that's overgrowth you'd cringe here. I've been letting milkweed run wild in the yard and the monarch caterpillars are loving it.

Good! I'm told the monarchs are going back on the endangered list sadly.

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Isn’t kudzu highly invasive around here? It would be best to get rid of that of the whole yard will be covered in it in about 2 summers 

25 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Looks like wild grape vines? That stuff is everywhere down here, along with Virginia Creeper. Grows so fast and a pain to get rid of. Good luck!

Yeah—it’s entangled with at least two trees. I’ll be busy keeping it in check. 

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I just looked that up. I don’t think it is? :lol: 

And yeah, there are levels to the overgrowth thing. At least nothing is growing on the house lol. The neighbors said they only mowed three times in the last year. Today I discovered while pulling weeds in the front that some of the driveway was just covered by weed/grass. Stuff literally grew on top of the asphalt and made it look like it was a grassy barrier with the neighbor.

I’m new to all of this stuff so I find all of it interesting. I’m the first in my family to own a home. The yard is a blank slate. 

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah—it’s entangled with at least two trees. I’ll be busy keeping it in check. 

I just looked that up. I don’t think it is? :lol: 

And yeah, there are levels to the overgrowth thing. At least nothing is growing on the house lol. The neighbors said they only mowed three times in the last year. Today I discovered while pulling weeds in the front that some of the driveway was just covered by weed/grass. Stuff literally grew on top of the asphalt and made it look like it was a grassy barrier with the neighbor.

I’m new to all of this stuff so I find all of it interesting. I’m the first in my family to own a home. The yard is a blank slate. 

Nothing gives me more pleasure than edging...the driveway.

• Haha 1