Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022

Damage In Tolland

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Was going to attempt that too but when I got home last night, my son showed the rare spark of teenage ambition and mowed without me asking. I guess I never told him my plan. 

I’m not sure I can do it. The grass is getting really long in spots. I’m going to at least wait and cut before we get a chance for some decent rain. 

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We are a bit behind some of SNE.  Leaf out really just starting to pick up. Plus with the lack of rain…

I could've gotten away with no mow May in the backyard, but the front (that gets the sun) was too much. Plus I need the new seed to take around the new walkway and can't have it shaded out by a pasture.

• Like 1

mowed at 2.75" on Thursday and it's already grown out a lot.  Could have mowed today at 3".  We just had a whole new patio/driveway done,and there are a lot of areas that had to get reseeded.  Been dragging hoses around the last 24 hours.  Glad to see some rain on the forecast tonight and Monday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tunafish said:

made it 20 days without mowing. 

set the blade high enough to avoid the creeping charlie and snowdrop.  most dandelion went to seed. 

fair compromise.  don't need ticks and mosquitos in the tall grass.

Yea I waited until the last moment to mow. 1 tick on 1 dog and that was it. Mowed twice now. Slow grass May. Sprayed and ain't no bugs on me.

I've been wanting the white clover to flower and drop seed so I figured it was worth giving an intermediate cut before that happens. I cut it on the highest setting so at least it's thick and lush...full of grass, clover, and wild strawberry (the real wild strawberry that produces small white flowers and tiny fruit...not that look-alike weed with the yellow flowers).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

I've been wanting the white clover to flower and drop seed so I figured it was worth giving an intermediate cut before that happens. I cut it on the highest setting so at least it's thick and lush...full of grass, clover, and wild strawberry (the real wild strawberry that produces small white flowers and tiny fruit...not that look-alike weed with the yellow flowers).

I thought white clover flowered a bit later.  Maybe in late June?  I'd have my whole lawn clover if I could.

That wild Strawberry is a great ground cover.  It seems to dislike competition, as mine only grows where there's nothing else.  The town sports fields adjacent to us has literal fields of that stuff.  My kids will go pick and eat the some of fruit in a few weeks here. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Any tree guys @tamarackor any others.. this Oak was hit several years by the Gypsies and the last several including this year .. the green silkworms .. It hangs over the house and is only half full of leaves this year. Is this all from the cat damage and will it worsen each year?

spw0Ap2.jpg

Trees can take only so much when their "factory" gets destroyed year after year.  If that tree sustains heavy feeding for another couple years, it becomes firewood.  What the future is for defoliating insects in CT, I won't even guess.  However, there are likely folks in the state forest service that have a lot better info than someone sitting 200 miles to your north.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Trees can take only so much when their "factory" gets destroyed year after year.  If that tree sustains heavy feeding for another couple years, it becomes firewood.  What the future is for defoliating insects in CT, I won't even guess.  However, there are likely folks in the state forest service that have a lot better info than someone sitting 200 miles to your north.

It’s never been fully defoliated, but gets partially eaten each year . For some reason the cats love it.  I’m probably going to be forced to have it taken down because a strong NW wind would land square on the roof 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s never been fully defoliated, but gets partially eaten each year . For some reason the cats love it.  I’m probably going to be forced to have it taken down because a strong NW wind would land square on the roof 

isn't that the kind of damage that you live for?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Isn’t that what you want? Big damage. You should be assisting it’s Demise to it can demolish your roof sooner rather than later.

• Like 2