Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022

Damage In Tolland

53 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

How much space do carrots actually need? I’ve seen suggestions that once they are a few weeks old fill in the remaining gaps in the grow bag with more seeds, so you essentially will get two harvests.

The idea is they can be planted essentially right next to each other, is this true?

It's surprising how well the roots can shape up when growing only 2" from each other.  I plant carrots in a strip 5-6" wide with 10-12" between - more per sq.ft. than single-row planting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

It's surprising how well the roots can shape up when growing only 2" from each other.  I plant carrots in a strip 5-6" wide with 10-12" between - more per sq.ft. than single-row planting.

Mine are growing in a 15” wide pot… I kind of just randomly placed them… probably 15-20 currently in the pot 

48 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Probably, but it's OK. It'll become obvious by the time the tops are 2" tall which ones are struggling the most.  Watch for those 3 or 4 weakest and pull them first.  Then again when they reach 4" tall.

Thanks, I may end up adding a second bag of them, as I’m not sure the yield is going to be as much as I originally thought when planning this out 

11 hours ago, tunafish said:

You've got plenty of time for two rotations, too.  Ours don't go in until July when we harvest the garlic.

I finally got on a calendar for planting so I know roughly when to harvest. Last year I just eyeballed it and didn't have time for a second crop. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tunafish said:

You've got plenty of time for two rotations, too.  Ours don't go in until July when we harvest the garlic.

My area can't get 2 rotations of carrots - not even close unless I wanted the 2-3" babies.  There may be varieties that mature more quickly than the Bolero I plant, however.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I finally got on a calendar for planting so I know roughly when to harvest. Last year I just eyeballed it and didn't have time for a second crop. 

love it.  we treat our garden data like (and often coupled with) weather data.  it's really helpful to know what you did and when, and what the circumstances were around. 

Not that this falls under your purview, but if you ever wanted to do a "QA" of the observation site in the fall, I'd love to show ya what we have going on over here turning grass into plantable land.  The wife is a certified master gardner through UMaine so things get pretty serious in the growing season.

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

My area can't get 2 rotations of carrots - not even close unless I wanted the 2-3" babies.  There may be varieties that mature more quickly than the Bolero I plant, however.

Ha, no doubt.  TBlizz certainly can.  I think we probably could, at least in the coastal part of the county.  We've never tried, though, carrots always take the place of garlic.

• Like 1

looks like ragweed, which have pretty sturdy root systems

EDIT:  I was thinking of goldenrod, not ragweed.  But Goldenrod doesn't have those serrated/jagged edges that you have.  Whatever it is, I have a bunch of it here and there, so I'll have to let some of it grow to see what it is.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:35 AM, QCD17 said:

looks like ragweed, which have pretty sturdy root systems

EDIT:  I was thinking of goldenrod, not ragweed.  But Goldenrod doesn't have those serrated/jagged edges that you have.  Whatever it is, I have a bunch of it here and there, so I'll have to let some of it grow to see what it is.

I can't figure this one out. I emailed Umaine to see if they could tell me.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I can't figure this one out. I emailed Umaine to see if they could tell me.

I read this quickly and thought you said that you had emailed the Ukraine.  I thought to myself "I think they're probably a bit too busy right now to get back to you." :lol:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Just drove through neighborhoods. Lawns cut this week already starting to brown it appears.

Yep, I got one cut in this year and my lawn is starting to brown in spots.  I don't even think some of it came out of dormancy from winter--just straight from that tan /brown winter color to that dry/drought brown color...:lol:

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

First mow of the season done. Lot of dust. Drought like conditions. It’s over already. Probably won’t mow again this month.

need a wheel of rhea

you just got an inch of rain last week. I think you’ll be ok