Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Probably The 13th Lawn Thread 2022

Damage In Tolland

On 4/9/2022 at 2:49 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ll probably hold off then if there’s a chance of damaging the trees.

We’ve talked about it before, but the first year the newly transplanted trees tend to sleep, year 2 they creep, and year 3 they leap. That first year they’re undergoing shock of being moved and are just trying to stay alive.  That’s why it’s not a good idea to fertilize. Year 2 they start getting their footing with good rooting. In response you get a little bit of top growth. Year 3 they’re getting near fully established and you’ll get the top growth to match the rooting spread. 

18 hours ago, hammerz_nailz said:

Getting some help breaking apart a stump out back this morning. 

DSCF2563.jpg

Awesome shot!  You either have a nice zoom lens or some very brave birds.  We have a few that are frequently in the woods behind our house, but they are very timid compared to their smaller relatives.  I'll have a downy stay 10' from me while I'm changing out a bird feeder but yet the pileated will scram if I walk outside and get within 100 yards of them.

2 hours ago, QCD17 said:

Awesome shot!  You either have a nice zoom lens or some very brave birds.  We have a few that are frequently in the woods behind our house, but they are very timid compared to their smaller relatives.  I'll have a downy stay 10' from me while I'm changing out a bird feeder but yet the pileated will scram if I walk outside and get within 100 yards of them.

Same here.

5 hours ago, QCD17 said:

Thanks. Yes they are impossible to get close to. I took that out a second floor window about 50-60 feet away. Plus is cropped. It's the first time I've seen two at the same spot.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:53 PM, backedgeapproaching said:

I would use the 19-0-7 just because I don't think you need to drop that much nitrogen in spring (the 30 number in the 30-0-5).

If you look at the bag's application instructions regarding how much fertilizer to apply per 1000 sq ft or how many square ft the bag will cover, you will find that the amount of nitrogen applied will be close to the same.

16 minutes ago, wkd said:

If you look at the bag's application instructions regarding how much fertilizer to apply per 1000 sq ft or how many square ft the bag will cover, you will find that the amount of nitrogen applied will be close to the same.

I don't have the bags so I don't know.  You may be right the amount applied could be similar based on how many sq feet the bag says it covers.  Maybe the 30-0-5 just covers more area and the amount applied could be similar to the 19-0-7.  Depends of spreader settings and number of factors I guess.  I don't ever use those Combo Fert and Dimension products personally.

The only true way to determine the Nitrogen would be to see the labels. 

On 4/18/2022 at 3:22 PM, SouthCoastMA said:

I still need to apply mossex and weed/ feed. should I wait till after the rain tonight and apply tomorrow while the ground is still moist?

I'm not applying both in the same areas. the mossex is just for parts of my lawn near the side of my house that's is sunshine challenged and mossy. 

Yeah wait until rain over always. Next chance of rain likely not until Tuesday aside from a shower or two.

57 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What are the safe veggies to plant? I’m done with frosts, but I know things like tomatoes wait for a few weeks. I assume lettuce is one that can be in early.

Salad greens, carrots, peas, most brassicas should be fine there unless the soil is really soggy.  All but the peas have tiny seeds subject to rot if it's too wet.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 3:22 PM, SouthCoastMA said:

I still need to apply mossex and weed/ feed. should I wait till after the rain tonight and apply tomorrow while the ground is still moist?

I'm not applying both in the same areas. the mossex is just for parts of my lawn near the side of my house that's is sunshine challenged and mossy. 

Pretty late for the Lesco weed killer. You may have missed window . Once it germinates, forget it. Usually early Napril it’s applied .

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

Salad greens, carrots, peas, most brassicas should be fine there unless the soil is really soggy.  All but the peas have tiny seeds subject to rot if it's too wet.

Yeah I'm getting close to transplanting my lettuce/kale, carrot, onion, and cauliflower. Started peppers and tomatoes inside a couple days ago, give them 4-5 weeks to get going before they move outdoors too.

My grub problem is pretty bad. I knew I must've had it bad because of the die off last summer, but hoo boy it's a massacre below ground. I had a patio paver walkway put in to the front door last fall and planned to level and replant the grass this spring. As I level it's at least a dozen grubs per square foot. 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

My grub problem is pretty bad. I knew I must've had it bad because of the die off last summer, but hoo boy it's a massacre below ground. I had a patio paver walkway put in to the front door last fall and planned to level and replant the grass this spring. As I level it's at least a dozen grubs per square foot. 

treat it. then treat it again. once you are sure the population has gone done, fire up a rototiller and start fresh. 

1 minute ago, SJonesWX said:

treat it. then treat it again. once you are sure the population has gone done, fire up a rototiller and start fresh. 

I was going to try and go the natural route with the kids playing in the yard, but based on what I saw I think I might nuke it. :lol:

42 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I was going to try and go the natural route with the kids playing in the yard, but based on what I saw I think I might nuke it. :lol:

I lost a third of my yard one year to the little bastages, turkeys ate and dug up my lawn, even had a skunk one night, my dog met him. Had 10 yards of loam trucked in and started over.

Took me several years to figure out grubs were the crux of our lawn problems. Nov 2019...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

IMG_20191125_072359.jpg