Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

There is really only 1 place to stay in Stowe that will check all the boxes. Spruce peak. One or two maybe more expensive but nothing really comes close . You just can’t beat that spot . Trust me. A crap hotel will be 60-65% price of Spruce peak and you won’t want to spend anytime in it besides sleeping . You won’t want to leave the village at Spruce peak and the views are unbeatable . 

For about 15% less I’ve stayed at Top Notch and Von Trapp. They are crap compared to Spruce peak . Von Trap outdated . Top Notch -no real views and it’s really hard to put in words just how much Spruce is better . 

Just checked it out… holy smokes… 500 a night in mid December. Beautiful views it looks like, but $1500 for 3 nights is a lot 

15 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just checked it out… holy smokes… 500 a night in mid December. Beautiful views it looks like, but $1500 for 3 nights is a lot 

I’ll let you stay on the futon in my office. I’m only half an hour from Stowe. It will be much cheaper but I do log onto my work computer by 7:00 am and am usually in my underwear. 

• Haha 1

George Carlin 

“The planet isn’t going anywhere; we are! We’re going away! Pack your shit, folks! We’re going away and we won’t leave much of a trace either, thank God for that. Maybe a little Styrofoam, maybe. Little Styrofoam. The planet will be here, we’ll be long gone; just another failed mutation; just another closed-end biological mistake; an evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas, a surface nuisance.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Are you going up there for a ski getaway , if so I get spending significantly less as much time would be on slopes . 
Hotels are up like 30-35% year over year so it’s kind of ridiculous these days . Run of the mill hotels in N Conway were 325$ per weekend nite recently . I’ve never paid more than 399$ a nite at Spruce. (Edit I just scanned hotels.com and maybe PF could confirm but Spruce Peak has jacked their prices up more than surrounding Stowe hotels for certain - they are “worth it” but they no longer look the value they had been for the last 4-5 years )

There are some hotels that are destinations themselves for me in Spruce peak is one , I spend the entire day at the heated pool, take gondola jacuzzi , breakfast , gym etc and even just sit and read in a the most beautiful open hotel common area , the others I would struggle to  pay 300$ just to lay my head down for a Nite If I was not going to be there much of the day 

Another in Stowe that I like is the stowehof, I could see this as a solid place If I was skiing but also has a very nice relaxed clean vibe . In fact If it wasn’t part of a ski vacation I would stay there ..enjoy breakfast , there is a very cool sunken library lunge Type space for reading with nice views and I wood take the middle of the day and not hesitate to crash the amenities at spruce peak. Simply park in back lot , bring a small changing bag, nobody in entire hotel will care (as there are many day guests ) and go to locker room , put on suit and enjoy a nice heated pool against the backdrop of mount Mansfield.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Are you going up there for a ski getaway , if so I get spending significantly less as much time would be on slopes . 
Hotels are up like 30-35% year over year so it’s kind of ridiculous these days . Run of the mill hotels in N Conway were 325$ per weekend nite recently . I’ve never paid more than 399$ a nite at Spruce. (Edit I just scanned hotels.com and maybe PF could confirm but Spruce Peak has jacked their prices up more than surrounding Stowe hotels for certain - they are “worth it” but they no longer look the value they had been for the last 4-5 years )

There are some hotels that are destinations themselves for me in Spruce peak is one , I spend the entire day at the heated pool, take gondola jacuzzi , breakfast , gym etc and even just sit and read in a the most beautiful open hotel common area , the others I would struggle to  pay 300$ just to lay my head down for a Nite If I was not going to be there much of the day 

Another in Stowe that I like is the stowehof, I could see this as a solid place If I was skiing but also has a very nice relaxed clean vibe . In fact If it wasn’t part of a ski vacation I would stay there ..enjoy breakfast , there is a very cool sunken library lunge Type space for reading with nice views and I wood take the middle of the day and not hesitate to crash the amenities at spruce peak. Simply park in back lot , bring a small changing bag, nobody in entire hotel will care (as there are many day guests ) and go to locker room , put on suit and enjoy a nice heated pool against the backdrop of mount Mansfield.

Lodge at Spruce is a Hyatt property now instead of Destination Hotels, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Summer is the town’s busiest season believe it or not, but it’s definitely getting expensive from high demand.  Rates just go up, up and up each year it seems… but I guess that’s like every other consumer good too.

I got a chuckle out of this, friend posted it. AirBnB’s are everywhere and it’s wild that you can rent a canvas tent for almost $200 a night.

All the sudden $400-$500 a night for the luxury of Spruce Peak doesn’t sound that bad.

B3DC0D16-49D7-4E7D-9A1B-951901E5F656.jpeg.50e6896c2f8dd067e82550bf62f4f091.jpeg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, BrianW said:

My wife is from Maplewood and has a lot of family in the Parissappny area. Our lake cabin is in Denville which is another town I have heard you mention before. If I recall correctly thats where your from?

20220618-075217.jpg

What lake is that.  My dad's parents had a house on Rock Ridge Lake, part of Denville, for their final 30+ years and as a summer place before that.  (They each lived to 90-91, passing in the early '70s.)  At one time my grandfather held the record for NJ's biggest bass, caught from that lake.  I lived in Kinnelon, actually a lake community within that township, from 1950 thru our marriage (51 years ago today), then moved to Parsippany - Knoll Gardens apartments - before moving to BGR in January 1973.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Lodge at Spruce is a Hyatt property now instead of Destination Hotels, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Summer is the town’s busiest season believe it or not, but it’s definitely getting expensive from high demand.  Rates just go up, up and up each year it seems… but I guess that’s like every other consumer good too.

I got a chuckle out of this, friend posted it. AirBnB’s are everywhere and it’s wild that you can rent a canvas tent for almost $200 a night.

All the sudden $400-$500 a night for the luxury of Spruce Peak doesn’t sound that bad.

B3DC0D16-49D7-4E7D-9A1B-951901E5F656.jpeg.50e6896c2f8dd067e82550bf62f4f091.jpeg

I think the CEO’s Of most major hotel chains are more nervous then they let on . They certainly are talking a big  game regarding their “forecasts” for vacation demand but I think they have to and it’s just part of projecting confidence given it’s their “time to bounce back post Covid” I don’t think they have woken up to the fact that most middle class Americans are cutting back their discretionary spending and record speed to which the university of Michigan consumer confidence index has done a 180* and literally crashed . This is a Rather recent trend and  paints a decent portrait of what vacation demand is going to do either by late summer or fall. I would guess high end resorts will be last to be effected but the average hotel demand should fall very hard given the absolute carnage in the US consumer sentiment index in last 60 days . The luxury resorts will have much more pricing power. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

What lake is that.  My dad's parents had a house on Rock Ridge Lake, part of Denville, for their final 30+ years and as a summer place before that.  (They each lived to 90-91, passing in the early '70s.)  At one time my grandfather held the record for NJ's biggest bass, caught from that lake.  I lived in Kinnelon, actually a lake community within that township, from 1950 thru our marriage (51 years ago today), then moved to Parsippany - Knoll Gardens apartments - before moving to BGR in January 1973.

Happy 51st anniversary!  Most impressive :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

My wife wants it to just be a relaxing 3 day getaway. I want to ski a day, but it looks like that will be big bucks too.

Well see, interesting idea to just crash spruce peak for the amenities while staying somewhere else. I could go for that lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

We stayed at Green Mountain Inn last winter and I liked it well enough.  Right in the village and the hot tub in the room was pretty nice.

This seems the most promising thus far. Would be about a third of the price of spruce peak. Looks like it has a year round outdoor pool and jacuzzi too.

19 hours ago, tamarack said:

Happy anniversary!

• Like 1

I was complaining about eye allergies and having “heavy tired eyes” I went out yesterday and grabbed Systane zatidor eye drops And I swear I would do a commercial for them now . Takes away the heavy eyelid feeling that lasted all day and left me foggy and fatigued . Drop in each eye in A.M and P.M. so far nite and day difference