Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I believe so. Supposedly the oil life indicator calculates for driving habits etc etc.

Just wondering if that is a tried and true measure. Like if I go by they indicator the car isn’t going to blow up lol

I would guess it’s correct. You can go a long time on synthetic. On the contrary it also costs an arm and a leg for an oil change now.  
If you are unsure, just check the oil level now and then.

43 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Crude Oil down 6% today  (Friday).  Will gas prices follow?

I bought the electric  Mustang Mache this spring.  Amazing car.  270 mile range.  0 to 60mph in 4 seconds.  I am getting 125 miles on about $4 of electric.  No more oil changes for me.

Volta 2.jpg

EPony for a license… love it, assuming it’s for electric pony :lol:.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

How accurate is an oil life indicator on a newer vehicle? I have a 2019 Honda Accord sport.

Ive driven about 7k miles since buying it, and the oil life indicator is still reading 40% oil life left. That means I’ll probably get to 10k before it comes on and recommends service.

Could this possibly be correct?

what does the owners manual say?

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I would guess it’s correct. You can go a long time on synthetic. On the contrary it also costs an arm and a leg for an oil change now.  
If you are unsure, just check the oil level now and then.

I took my wife’s rogue for an oil change last week and full synthetic cost me $82 and that was with a $10 coupon. Insanity 

5 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

How accurate is an oil life indicator on a newer vehicle? I have a 2019 Honda Accord sport.

Ive driven about 7k miles since buying it, and the oil life indicator is still reading 40% oil life left. That means I’ll probably get to 10k before it comes on and recommends service.

Could this possibly be correct?

What does the manual say?  7K seems about time to change not 40%

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I bought the electric  Mustang Mache this spring.  Amazing car.  270 mile range.  0 to 60mph in 4 seconds.  I am getting 125 miles on about $4 of electric.  No more oil changes for me.

Volta 2.jpg

Did yours get recalled?

8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I took my wife’s rogue for an oil change last week and full synthetic cost me $82 and that was with a $10 coupon. Insanity 

That’s not much more than what I paid a year ago and two.  I remember paying over $100 before.  And that’s for full Mobil One with the good filter 

I have to bring a car in next week for one and will check

Synthetic oil can last an extremely long time and most people change it when they could easily extend the oil change way longer. I have sent Mobil 1 synthetic oil samples out to Blackstone labs which tests your oil.  The results on my wife's Subaru with Mobil 1 0w20 at 8k which was 2k over the recommend 6k change showed the oil was still perfectly fine. The lab said this oil would easily run to 10k. I think 10k is a good number to use with synthetic. 

Those oil life estimators are just guessing. 

A better name is oil life estimator. They do not monitor any direct physical or chemical property of oil; they only accumulate data from the vehicle’s computer and predict how your driving habits and operating conditions have affected the oil’s viscosity, total base number (a measure of remaining detergency), oxidation level and other factors.

Since the OLM can’t measure these key properties like a chemist in a lab would measure them, how can it know when the oil has, for example, only 10 percent life remaining? It can’t – it simply estimates oil life based on an algorithm.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Volta 2.jpg

Just saw the news that the electric rates are going to be nearly doubling. Everyone wants their piece of the inflation pie.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Just saw the news that the electric rates are going to be nearly doubling. Everyone wants their piece of the inflation pie.

National Grid just dropped their rates a month or so ago.  Kinda weird

Apparently that is fine yearly in May. Goes up in November (natural gas driving it) and down in May

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

So you have that small electric utility Liberty? 

In a Monday filing with the Public Utilities Commission, Liberty Utilities proposed increasing the per kilowatt hour price of electricity from 11.11 cents, the rate in effect from February to July of this year, to 22.23 cents starting in July.

That means a typical household would see a 47 percent increase in its electric bill, according to consumer advocate Don Kreis. (Other charges on the bill would remain unchanged.) A household currently paying $150 per month would see their electricity increase to $220 per month.

https://newhampshirebulletin.com/briefs/electric-prices-set-to-double/

https://www.wmur.com/article/new-hampshire-increases-electricity-bills-61622/40314355#

Liberty Utilities has asked to increase its rate from 11.11 cents per kilowatt-hour to 22.22 cents.

Eversource has requested an increase from the current rate of 10.67 cents to 22.566 cents. The company said that adds about $70 per month for the average customer.

13 hours ago, mreaves said:

Did yours get recalled?

Yep!  I have the GT and extended battery so my exact model seems to have the problem.  Metal contacts can melt under extended acceleration or heavy battery use.  Perhaps my car is not the best to try to climb Mt Washington in.  They say they will be able to do an over air update to correct the problem.  Until they can do that no more Mustang Mache can be sold.  You have to tow it on a flatbed too as it can otherwise it can damage the electric motors.  If your in NNE and see a dead white MME with the EPONY plate and an exasperated hitchhiker, please pick me up!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

We all need to install solar panels for the house  and to charge our EV's.  Maybe buy the new electric F150 lightning.  In the event of a power failure you can plug the truck back in to the your houses electric panel and it will deliver enough power the house for a few days worth.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yep!  I have the GT and extended battery so my exact model seems to have the problem.  Metal contacts can melt under extended acceleration or heavy battery use.  Perhaps my car is not the best to try to climb Mt Washington in.  They say they will be able to do an over air update to correct the problem.  Until they can do that no more Mustang Mache can be sold.  You have to tow it on a flatbed too as it can otherwise it can damage the electric motors.  If your in NNE and see a dead white MME with the EPONY plate and an exasperated hitchhiker, please pick me up!

My interest would be in the Maverick pickup, the  hybrid model, though only from afar as long as my 2011 Ranger is still alive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

My interest would be in the Maverick pickup, the  hybrid model, though only from afar as long as my 2011 Ranger is still alive.

I like the idea of the Maverick too but the problem is that the hybrid only comes in FWD, not AWD.   I don’t was a 2 wheel drive truck, ever. 

52 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I like the idea of the Maverick too but the problem is that the hybrid only comes in FWD, not AWD.   I don’t was a 2 wheel drive truck, ever. 

I bought one of those too.  Two new cars this year.  I reserved a hybrid Maverick when they first announced it since our  truck was 13 years old.  Took delivery in January.  Love the truck and my Mustang Mache.  You are exactly right, the hybrid only is FWD but the MME is all wheel drive.  So I guess between gas and electric prices we have insulated myself pretty good.  I hope so, as the pocketbook is pretty empty right now.  Between the two vehicles we will figure NNE winters out.  I made this You Tube video just after I drove it off the lot. for my nephew who loves cars.  

• Like 4