Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

3 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

All that’s negated if they don’t turn the ball over. When they turn the ball over 15 times, they lose. 

They won game 3 with 12 turn overs    ... it wasn't the silver bullet last night.  Certainly didn't help matters... If they didn't get into a 3 point ego contest they probably would be sitting with a 3-1 advantave

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

They won game 3 with 12 turn overs    ... it wasn't the silver bullet last night.  Certainly didn't help matters... If they didn't get into a 3 point ego contest they probably would be sitting with a 3-1 advantave

Yes. They need to be attacking the rim, getting points in the paint and getting transition points.  Getting back for defense also helps.  They have the personnel and skills to take this next game but they need to stay disciplined 

I knew I should have gone with Fahrenheit! Celsius is not letting me withdraw my money.

Bitcoin tumbled below $24,000 on Monday, hitting its lowest level since December 2020, as investors dump crypto amid a broader sell-off in risk assets.

Meanwhile, a crypto lending company called Celsius has paused withdrawals for its customers, sparking fears of contagion into the broader market

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

What I don’t understand is why as of last week were BTC longs at an all-time high.  People still piling in even as it dropped made no sense.  

I certainly didn’t see the metrics that spell that out . 28K has been a high volume buying level in way up and it was defended for a while . 

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Risk off environment. Assets will continue getting recked until Fed pivots. 

Housing crash is just starting too. 

It will be interesting to see what sort of pivot occurs minus a wide spread crisis that requires money printing to respond to . Could be a very wide rounding pivot . First they Pause , and become data “dependent” and then i could see stocks responding much faster than crypto . Unless a new crisis prompts rampant rate cut back to zero and QE (which always seems to stoke massive financial speculation) I’m not sure If a pivot from fed to a pause will do much for crypto 

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I certainly didn’t see the metrics that spell that out . 28K has been a high volume buying level in way up and it was defended for a while . 

I just don’t understand why they were still so many buyers last week when it seemed pretty obvious the price was going to continue downward based on the rest of the markets.

The majority of BTC holders are in the red now.

Celsius Crypto network froze  all withdrawals last nite and they seem like it will be hard for them to regroup.

Crypto seemed to do well to capitalize on the growing distrust in financial institutions and get younger folks investing in the crypto ecosystem..which has a lack of oversight ,  rampant fraud and little jurisdiction to go after “fraud” and much less consumer protections

Bond markets are getting crushed in euro zone and US in premarket trading and stocks are down significantly prior to the opening bell as well. Has to be lots of margin calls out there . 

Bad day in the markets.  Anybody who long-term invested in stocks in the past year or so is now in the red I’m sure.

I don’t have a 401(k) but I can’t imagine those are looking as good as they were a year ago.  I just wonder if tomorrow is a bounce or a bleed out?  It’s not gonna be good if we go into the fall with food prices inflating higher and oil staying high.  A lot of  poor folks will be making hard decisions about heat or eat.  
:(

27 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Bad day in the markets.  Anybody who long-term invested in stocks in the past year or so is now in the red I’m sure.

I don’t have a 401(k) but I can’t imagine those are looking as good as they were a year ago.  I just wonder if tomorrow is a bounce or a bleed out?  It’s not gonna be good if we go into the fall with food prices inflating higher and oil staying high.  A lot of  poor folks will be making hard decisions about heat or eat.  

Definitely a bad day for the market... That said, I will continue to put 12% of my paycheck into my 401k (which is an 85/15 stock/bond mix-I'm 26-so weighted heavier to equities) every two weeks-not really sure what the more appealing investment is in the long-term so I can live with my decisions.

That said-definitely a different situation for those who are close to retirement/already in it. Good thing for those folks is that social security is indexed to CPI (+they've got tons of equity in their homes). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Definitely a bad day for the market... That said, I will continue to put 12% of my paycheck into my 401k (which is an 85/15 stock/bond mix-I'm 26-so weighted heavier to equities) every two weeks-not really sure what the more appealing investment is in the long-term so I can live with my decisions.

That said-definitely a different situation for those who are close to retirement/already in it. Good thing for those folks is that social security is indexed to CPI (+they've got tons of equity in their homes). 

Yeah, nobody’s 401(k) is in danger of going to zero I just feel bad for people who are retiring with 20 or 30% less than they thought they had last year.  
My bigger concern is inflation, fuel and the cost of living for middle and lower classes. It could be a rough couple of years.

In the end, all you can do is hang it up and see what tomorrow brings and just keep truckin’ on! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

What's a 401k?  My former employer dropped that during the last recession and never started a new one.  Not uncommon in my field either.

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What's a 401k?  My former employer dropped that during the last recession and never started a new one.  Not uncommon in my field either.

What is your line of work? Does your company offer some other type of retirement plan?

Just curious-war for talent is so fierce right now.

4 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

What is your line of work? Does your company offer some other type of retirement plan?

Just curious-war for talent is so fierce right now.

I'm in the Architecture field.  I'm no longer with company and no, there is no retirement plan. 

Sitting back and weighing my options right now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I work for the state and my “retirement” is paying into a county pension from each paycheck. Basically, I’m required to contribute 12% of my pay to my own retirement 

Same for me. 11.5%.  It is managed pretty well (so far).  That’s in addition to whatever 403b or other fund we chose 

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Same for me. 11.5%.  It is managed pretty well (so far).  That’s in addition to whatever 403b or other fund we chose 

Yeah, we have a deferred compensation plan too. I don’t participate in that. I just put whatever I would have put into that, into a Roth IRA.

The state doesn’t contribute anything, is basically what I was getting at.

• Like 1

Maine state employees pay in 7.25% and the state 4.7% - used to be the same 7.25 until the previous administration reduced it, hoping to keep the retirement system solvent.  Of course, neither they nor employees pay anything into Social Security, so that 4.7 is the total state obligation.

43 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Maine state employees pay in 7.25% and the state 4.7% - used to be the same 7.25 until the previous administration reduced it, hoping to keep the retirement system solvent.  Of course, neither they nor employees pay anything into Social Security, so that 4.7 is the total state obligation.

We contribute 6.65% and the State contributes some as well but that varies.  We also pay into SS, as does the State

I’m a retired fed and starting for those hired 1/1/84 and later we paid into ss so Im collecting ss, a modest pension (40% of high 3 year average base salary without bonuses or other incentives).  But I was able to contribute max allowable by law into 401k.  Plus catchup in the later years so I was putting in a ton.  They match up to 10%.   Not sure what the future is for govt pensions so anyone already in or retired count your lucky stars!

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I’m a retired fed and starting for those hired 1/1/84 and later we paid into ss so Im collecting ss, a modest pension (40% of high 3 year average base salary without bonuses or other incentives).  But I was able to contribute max allowable by law into 401k.  Plus catchup in the later years so I was putting in a ton.  They match up to 10%.   Not sure what the future is for govt pensions so anyone already in or retired count your lucky stars!

Yeah, defined benefit plans are gradually going the way of the dodo in the next few decades.

Any Volvo folks here?  I just traded in my Jeep and am picking up my ‘22 XC60 tomorrow. 

The dealer offered me a couple hundred dollars less than what I paid for the Jeep three years ago. After months of research and weighing the pros and cons, I decided to pull the trigger. 

I’ll keep this car and baby it for the next 5-7 years for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1