Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

8 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

If the Celtics don’t make it it’s because nobody had the balls to step up and closeline Draymond Green as he goes in for a layup. 

Kevin McHale isn't walking through the door, unfortunately.

He didn't even get kicked out of the game for that, he would be arrested and drawn and quartered on social media endlessly today. Ugh...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WalpoleJoe said:

Kevin McHale isn't walking through the door, unfortunately.

He didn't even get kicked out of the game for that, he would be arrested and drawn and quartered on social media endlessly today. Ugh...

In the Celtics thread I posted the video of Chief clobbering Lambier.  He only got a common foul.  Lol   Those were the days!

@powderfreakand all the other skiers in our NE group. I’m out in Dubuque, IA for a snowmobile conference. We had some free time this afternoon and went out to the Field of Dreams site. Not really my cup of tea. On the way back, as we were driving through a hilly (for Iowa) area, I spotted what looked like ski slopes in the distance. Everyone in the car thought I was crazy but sure enough we were soon at a place called Sundown. We pulled in to the lodge parking area, which was at the summit of the slopes, got out and started looking around. Pretty soon a guy came out and asked us if we needed anything. We told him we were there from VT and were surprised to see a ski area in Iowa. He invited us into the lodge for a beer with the summer maintenance crew and gave us the scoop on the area. He was the son of one of the founders. Sundown is celebrating its 50th anniversary next year and is still owned by the local families that built it. They have 77 acres and 475’ of vertical. The season usually lasts from Thanksgiving through mid-March.  They have a junior ski program with 100 kids. It was great talking to him. He had us stick pins in the VT Mts that our group had skied. This was one of those small, unexpected things that make traveling to new places so fun. 

255482EF-EE39-48B5-90D2-26FE54C645F9.jpeg

7782C4E1-CFD2-47F6-82AD-7DEE32713456.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

@powderfreakand all the other skiers in our NE group. I’m out in Dubuque, IA for a snowmobile conference. We had some free time this afternoon and went out to the Field of Dreams site. Not really my cup of tea. On the way back, as we were driving through a hilly (for Iowa) area, I spotted what looked like ski slopes in the distance. Everyone in the car thought I was crazy but sure enough we were soon at a place called Sundown. We pulled in to the lodge parking area, which was at the summit of the slopes, got out and started looking around. Pretty soon a guy came out and asked us if we needed anything. We told him we were there from VT and were surprised to see a ski area in Iowa. He invited us into the lodge for a beer with the summer maintenance crew and gave us the scoop on the area. He was the son of one of the founders. Sundown is celebrating its 50th anniversary next year and is still owned by the local families that built it. They have 77 acres and 475’ of vertical. The season usually lasts from Thanksgiving through mid-March.  They have a junior ski program with 100 kids. It was great talking to him. He had us stick pins in the VT Mts that our group had skied. This was one of those small, unexpected things that make traveling to new places so fun. 

255482EF-EE39-48B5-90D2-26FE54C645F9.jpeg

7782C4E1-CFD2-47F6-82AD-7DEE32713456.jpeg

Love this!  The mowing, crisp painted towers… that’s a crew that cares.

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

All that rain and we’re still bathing in pollen.

Yup. Still wiping the vehicles down daily . You see people driving around with all that yellow on their cars.. using windshield squirt to clean it off windshield and the yellow stains. It makes you cringe . Get out daily and clean it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’re the guy that says .. “it’s raining.. free car wash” :blink:

Haha I’m just busting your balls.  I’m certainly not wiping my SUV down daily over some pollen though.  My pollen OCD is the porches and decking.  I’ll sweep and clean daily.  I’ve never been anal about car cleanliness.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Haha I’m just busting your balls.  I’m certainly not wiping my SUV down daily over some pollen though.  My pollen OCD is the porches and decking.  I’ll sweep and clean daily.  I’ve never been anal about car cleanliness.

I like to have cleanest vehicle on the road . Folks notice clean vehicles . The craziest thing to me is the people that think rain washes the car. It actually makes it dirtier with water spots , dried pollen etc 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

F’N Celtics .

I just am not as impressed with Tatum as a *“super star In the big moment* as others . Some shine brightest in the biggest moment and he seems rather good , but not a elite finisher. Doesn’t have that ice in his veins , could have put away the series tonite but couldn’t aggressively attack the rim. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Saw my first bobcat this afternoon walking the dog.   That was pretty cool.   My wife and daughter have seen them hanging out in our yard but this was a first for me

I had one in my yard but it was night time so didn't get a good look, I saw one in Ware crossing the road and stopped and stared at me, beautiful animals.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/4/2022 at 1:59 PM, powderfreak said:

My folks sent me this from Woodstock, CT… they noticed a rock that seemed to be moving in their front yard and had a massive snapping turtle laying eggs all over their mulch beds.

Bottom of this photo just above the grass.  She laid eggs all over the top of the mulch bed up top of hill.

22CB1058-F1EC-4F92-937A-A834A5A03AC3.thumb.jpeg.241937504f53aa3659745562b38aa2ca.jpeg

Then she went on the long journey back to the lake.  Across the road.

7F5D4073-2B4E-4988-9671-EE8388132FE3.jpeg.69db1ef732d2dd53e5279f69c764f9fe.jpeg

Then fell off 4 (!) different retaining walls.  Went right over and in the video the thud noise is hilarious.  Like dropping a rock onto a lawn.  Got up after each fall and walked off the next wall.

ECABA911-0A23-4525-9F56-771EBB8138F2.thumb.jpeg.eb433393d394689f3e31116fb53ffb71.jpeg

Amazing dinosaur looking creature.

64631BFC-FBE7-4DA4-B3D8-AB6EE4F42E2A.jpeg.e68173c4934a9f194cfb0abdb6ad4a2a.jpeg

I saw a few laying eggs on the beach at our lake cabin in NJ this week when I was walking the dog. Someone saw a fox digging up the eggs last night.They must be a delicacy to a fox as he went crazy digging to get every egg. I was curious on the survival rate and found this on Google. 

Unfortunately, even under ideal circumstances, turtle nests don’t do very well.  Only 5 percent of eggs laid survive to hatch; and of those only 1 percent may survive to reproductive age.  So, take the snapping turtle for example.  An average clutch size might be 30 eggs.  So, out of three snapping turtle nests, maybe 5 eggs will hatch out baby snappers.  Of those, maybe 1 or 2 will live to the age of 7 or 8 years, which is likely the minimum age for a female snapper to lay eggs.  Those aren’t very good odds.

20220607-084754.jpg20220611-073751.jpg

• Like 3

My parents have one that lays eggs in their mulch every summer. At some point in August they all start hatching and walking over the yard and crossing the road. They collect them up and bring them out into the woods to the swamp. They usually have over a dozen hatch every season. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

F’N Celtics .

I just am not as impressed with Tatum as a *“super star In the big moment* as others . Some shine brightest in the biggest moment and he seems rather good , but not a elite finisher. Doesn’t have that ice in his veins , could have put away the series tonite but couldn’t aggressively attack the rim. 

I watched the game ...

It seemed to me there were intangible dynamics going on... Maybe even ego-related.   But, the Celtics relaxed ... just oh so little but enough on defense to allow Golden State to steal that win.

And it was a steal on their part - though they'll be the last to think so, no doubt!  They were trailing for most of that game - then something happened in the 4th Q that I feel is pretty connectable to 'maturity' as basket ballers.   

The Celtics seemed to get into a 3 pt shooting contest with Poole and Curry.  They fell for it.  They fell for the old "oh yeah - we can shoot too" game.  They should have stuck to what they were doing, which was solid perimeter D with Williams and their size shutting down the interior.  That should work against this adversary.  They may be able to match them at some point or another in a shoot out - but they didn't need to,  and getting into that mode last night (crucially) in a 3 or 4 minute window approaching mid way through the 4th, put GS in control. 

Idiots.

It was a bad offensive decision to engage with GS, at GS's game.  GS leans offense on their opponents at at all times, such that moment the D lays off they've already scored something like a 8-2 run. Boom.  The Celtics relaxed just enough, GS leaned, the CS tried to do it back and couldn't hit their shots.  Again...they didn't need to do that.  

Tatum wasn't terrible.  I don't know about the 'whole stardom' aspect.  Frankly, I think Brown's been better as of late. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I watched the game ...

It seemed to me there were intangible dynamics going on... Maybe even ego-related.   But, the Celtics relaxed ... just oh so little but enough on defense to allow Golden State to steal that win.

And it was a steal on their part - though they'll be the last to think so, no doubt!  They were trailing for most of that game - then something happened in the 4th Q that I feel is pretty connectable to 'maturity' as basket ballers.   

The Celtics seemed to get into a 3 pt shooting contest with Poole and Curry.  They fell for it.  They fell for the old "oh yeah - we can shoot too" game.  They should have stuck to what they were doing, which was solid perimeter D with Williams and their size shutting down the interior.  That should work against this adversary.  They may be able to match them at some point or another in a shoot out - but they didn't need to,  and getting into that mode last night (crucially) in a 3 or 4 minute window approaching mid way through the 4th, put GS in control. 

Idiots.

It was a bad offensive decision to engage with GS, at GS's game.  GS leans offense on their opponents at at all times, such that moment the D lays off they've already scored something like a 8-2 run. Boom.  The Celtics relaxed just enough, GS leaned, the CS tried to do it back and couldn't hit their shots.  Again...they didn't need to do that.  

Tatum wasn't terrible.  I don't know about the 'whole stardom' aspect.  Frankly, I think Brown's been better as of late. 

All that’s negated if they don’t turn the ball over. When they turn the ball over 15 times, they lose. 

• Like 1