Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

15 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

When those programs stopped in the 70s and 80s. ...those that left those offices knew this was coming.   It's just a lesser known perspective that mainstream media doesn't elaborate upon because there's no profit in news that exposes us to our ancient faults.

This all this. 

I'm a Massachusetts gun owner. I had to give my left nut with training and background checks to have what I have. My guns are locked up 25 ways to sunday with separate biometric ammo safes so it's a 2 step process to put all the pieces together. I have zero problem with every gun owner having to go through the same process.  

I will go to the grave saying that the 5k lb large black SUVs with Zanac'ed up soccer moms or dad in my kids school pick up line are just as/if not more dangerous than my large capacity inanimate objects I have in my possession.  

Uvalde is one giant political football with the media ignoring a whole lot of factors that goes into this.  Stop giving these people 3 weeks of fame. I refuse to watch the news to perpetuate this endless cycle. 

This country has a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem and a tyranny problem disguised as a security problem - Rogan

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, amarshall said:

This all this. 

I'm a Massachusetts gun owner. I had to give my left nut with training and background checks to have what I have. My guns are locked up 25 ways to sunday with separate biometric ammo safes so it's a 2 step process to put all the pieces together. I have zero problem with every gun owner having to go through the same process.  

I will go to the grave saying that the 5k lb large black SUVs with Zanac'ed up soccer moms or dad in my kids school pick up line are just as/if not more dangerous than my large capacity inanimate objects I have in my possession.  

Uvalde is one giant political football with the media ignoring a whole lot of factors that goes into this.  Stop giving these people 3 weeks of fame. I refuse to watch the news to perpetuate this endless cycle. 

This country has a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem and a tyranny problem disguised as a security problem - Rogan

...All of this.

Also, I will see your left nut, and up the ante to an almost 3 month period from when I took the gun safety class to when I received my actual permit in the mail.  There was so much involved, including having my first selectman interview me, getting letters of recommendations, visits to the state police for finger prints, background checks, etc.  

I suppose it's not the same in Texas when it comes to purchasing rifles, and that is a big problem with me. There was really zero reason for Ramos to be able to turn 18 one day, and then be in possession of weapons, and do what he did days later.  I have NO PROBLEM MAKING THE RULES TO OBTAN FIREARMS TOUGHER.  ZERO.  I would not mind seeing regular mental health checks, an initial mental health check, as well as periodic, mandated proof that you know what the f.uck you are doing with a firearm.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, amarshall said:

This all this. 

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

...All of this.

Also, I will see your left nut, and up the ante to an almost 3 month period from when I took the gun safety class to when I received my actual permit in the mail.  There was so much involved, including having my first selectman interview me, getting letters of recommendations, visits to the state police for finger prints, background checks, etc.  

I suppose it's not the same in Texas when it comes to purchasing rifles, and that is a big problem with me. There was really zero reason for Ramos to be able to turn 18 one day, and then be in possession of weapons, and do what he did days later.  I have NO PROBLEM MAKING THE RULES TO OBTAN FIREARMS TOUGHER.  ZERO.  I would not mind seeing regular mental health checks, an initial mental health check, as well as periodic, mandated proof that you know what the f.uck you are doing with a firearm.

Two good posts that demonstrate that New Englanders in general are good, reasonable people. Why can’t the rest of the country follow our lead?

• Like 4

i own several guns which I bought here in NH. when I bought the first one, I had to wait a couple weeks to get it, presumably to do some kind of background check i guess. the next couple i was in and out of the story with in a couple of hours. no license, no permit, no safety course, and I can carry however i please (but i don't carry unless i am going to the range, in which case the guns are locked up and unloaded in a case in the back seat). 

I went to the gun show in Concord this past saturday, and i could have walked out the door with pretty much any kind of gun and ammo. there are no background checks required, which is asinine.

all that said, I would have zero problem with much stricter regulations

• Like 3

9 hours ago, amarshall said:

This all this. 

Rogan lol, not the person I would take my info from.

interesting how so many countries have mental health and substance problems but yet America leads the world in gun violence by heaps:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-with-mental-and-substance-disorders

17 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Two good posts that demonstrate that New Englanders in general are good, reasonable people. Why can’t the rest of the country follow our lead?

It's all common sense and logic from stable minded people.   I have more friends who own guns, than friends who don't.  They are all stable people, and most are family guys, and women.  The typical mass shooter is not the stable, family person...the person who hunted with their dad... or the person who owns pistols soley for competitive shooting competitions.  These mass murderers are unstable individuals who need help, and in many cases had warning signs that were ignored.

Edit: I also want to note that my gun owning friends are on all sides of the political spectrum. Sure there are a few military guys who are a bit intense, but I am not friends with the, "stomp my flag and I'll stomp your face crowd'. They don't flaunt it with bumper stickers or obnoxious slogans, and are very humble and private about their gun ownership. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Rogan lol, not the person I would take my info from.

interesting how so many countries have mental health and substance problems but yet America leads the world in gun violence by heaps:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-with-mental-and-substance-disorders

The ship has sailed on the number of guns in the public.  The Constitution did it's purpose, it armed the citizenry and this country isn't putting that genie back in the bottle.  The posts by @Cold Miser and @amarshall are a place we should be at as a society though.  Waiting period, background checks, maybe we need to throw some money at the permitting side of things.

We aren't eradicating mass shootings in the US, but even a 50% reduction would be a win and a step in the right direction.  There are things that can happen that allow access to guns for the "adults" of society.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Our first adopted foster rescue, Tigger, will lose his leg to cancer sometime this month. Started as a limp then bone growth. Biopsy was positive.  Tripod dogs can do well but this is devastating.

•  

Wow. Sorry to hear this Steve.  I have often wondered how well and quickly a dog adjusts to live with 3 legs. I am assuming there is some human interaction for a while for that transition.

12 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Wow. Sorry to hear this Steve.  I have often wondered how well and quickly a dog adjusts to live with 3 legs. I am assuming there is some human interaction for a while for that transition.

Several vet programs on Animal Planet show dogs doing fine, cats even better.  Most of those cases involved trauma rather than cancer, and were on young or middle age animals.

22 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Actually from what I have seen and what I have read most who were lame with pain before actually walk on day 1 and get the hang of it easily. Many are still as fast as they were. Hoping for the best! Thanks dude

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Actually from what I have seen and what I have read most who were lame with pain before actually walk on day 1 and get the hang of it easily. Many are still as fast as they were. Hoping for the best! Thanks dude

our neighbor's lab also had rear leg removed for tumor. He gets around fine. Comes down and eats the cat food all the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sorry to hear Ginxy, dogs are amazing adapters to whatever life throws at them.  Their personality is always there.

My lab had/has knee problems and hobbled around on 3 legs for a couple months before surgery about 2-3 weeks ago.  It’s crazy how fast she figured out how to run on 3 legs while one lamely hung there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Sorry to hear Ginxy, dogs are amazing adapters to whatever life throws at them.  Their personality is always there.

My lab had knee problems and hobbled around on 3 legs for a couple months before surgery about 2-3 weeks ago.  It’s crazy how fast she figured out how to run on 3 legs while one lamely hung there.

Dogs are amazing, they don't sulk they just do what they have to, we can learn some lessons from dogs.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Dogs are amazing, they don't sulk they just do what they have to, we can learn some lessons from dogs.

Dog could’ve just broken their leg but hears a noise in the kitchen… “Was that the cheese and deli drawer I just heard open?  Was that the fu*king cheese drawer?!  LFG!  Even if I had zero working legs I’m getting into that kitchen right now.”

They seem to have zero memories of an injury for whatever reason.  Even after my lab fully wrecked her knee and came up lame, she was more concerned in that moment with a few kibbles I had in my pocket than her leg just hanging off her body.

• Haha 1

My folks sent me this from Woodstock, CT… they noticed a rock that seemed to be moving in their front yard and had a massive snapping turtle laying eggs all over their mulch beds.

Bottom of this photo just above the grass.  She laid eggs all over the top of the mulch bed up top of hill.

22CB1058-F1EC-4F92-937A-A834A5A03AC3.thumb.jpeg.241937504f53aa3659745562b38aa2ca.jpeg

Then she went on the long journey back to the lake.  Across the road.

7F5D4073-2B4E-4988-9671-EE8388132FE3.jpeg.69db1ef732d2dd53e5279f69c764f9fe.jpeg

Then fell off 4 (!) different retaining walls.  Went right over and in the video the thud noise is hilarious.  Like dropping a rock onto a lawn.  Got up after each fall and walked off the next wall.

ECABA911-0A23-4525-9F56-771EBB8138F2.thumb.jpeg.eb433393d394689f3e31116fb53ffb71.jpeg

Amazing dinosaur looking creature.

64631BFC-FBE7-4DA4-B3D8-AB6EE4F42E2A.jpeg.e68173c4934a9f194cfb0abdb6ad4a2a.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My folks sent me this from Woodstock, CT… they noticed a rock that seemed to be moving in their front yard and had a massive snapping turtle laying eggs all over their mulch beds.

Bottom of this photo just above the grass.  She laid eggs all over the top of the mulch bed up top of hill.

Then she went on the long journey back to the lake.  Across the road.

Then fell off 4 (!) different retaining walls.  Went right over and in the video the thud noise is hilarious.  Like dropping a rock onto a lawn.  Got up after each fall and walked off the next wall.

Amazing dinosaur looking creature.

64631BFC-FBE7-4DA4-B3D8-AB6EE4F42E2A.jpeg.e68173c4934a9f194cfb0abdb6ad4a2a.jpeg

probably laid eggs there - that's what it looks like.

my neighbors down the way live next to a brook that runs under the road... and they had one of those big snappers in their garden diggin' away like an episode of Animal Planet. 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

16 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I had to remove a dead snapping turtle at work last that was hit by a car. The thing was MASSIVE. Biggest one I’ve ever seen by far. Had to have been 40+ pounds 

I moved two off the road this week. Thankfully still alive.