Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

13 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

What a scary situation yesterday. I’ve been living with my aunt the past several years. I’ve been helping her out a lot as she has health issues going on. But end of February my girlfriend developed health issues and was diagnosed with a bad condition so I’ve been temporarily living with her. Anyways, my aunt called me last evening that there was a fire. The house is a ranch style condo. So one half of the building is ours (which she owns) and the other side has renters who rent from a different owner. I guess a fire broke out in the attic. Our side of the building suffered no damage. The other side suffered damage. My aunt was very scared b/c we have two cats and she couldn’t get them. But after everything was settled we were allowed back in and got the cats and she’ll be able to return home Monday when the power/gas can be turned back on. I am just so thankful the fire department is 30 seconds away and nobody was hurt. Our neighbors unfortunately lost their hamster though :( 

Firefighters are the best

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

The cost of everything is crazy. Anecdotal opinion, people are pissed everywhere I go. Fixed income peeps taking a brutal beating. Shortages aside we are headed quickly down hill.

Everyone loves to say it’s temporary. I’m skeptical of that. Once things are up, they usually stay there.

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Everyone loves to say it’s temporary. I’m skeptical of that. Once things are up, they usually stay there.

Anyone who has lived through an inflation cycle before knows that the prices won’t ever drop-they’ll just stop rising.   Nixon tried wage and price controls which didn’t really make a difference-honestly I’m not sure the government has as much control as we think.

On 5/22/2022 at 2:09 PM, weathafella said:

Anyone who has lived through an inflation cycle before knows that the prices won’t ever drop-they’ll just stop rising.   Nixon tried wage and price controls which didn’t really make a difference-honestly I’m not sure the government has as much control as we think.

So pickups will forever be $60k minimum? :weep:

• Confused 1

America, #1 baby….in gun violence and mass shootings. Oh and the amount of billionaires. Everything else, we’re at the bottom. But hey, don’t speak out about it because they’ll tell you to go back to where you came from or “if you don’t like it, leave.” 

The world watches and cringes again and again. It’s pathetic and shameful, yet we do nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea and America does it the best with easy access to military style weapons.

I could name a bunch of countries I'd feel less safe being in, but yeah, we can do a lot better. Although what's happening in Ukraine does give me a little pause.

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

America, #1 baby….in gun violence and mass shootings. Oh and the amount of billionaires. Everything else, we’re at the bottom. But hey, don’t speak out about it because they’ll tell you to go back to where you came from or “if you don’t like it, leave.” 

The world watches and cringes again and again. It’s pathetic and shameful, yet we do nothing.

I've bloviated over this in the past ...but paraphrasing the sociological blow-back phenomenon:

It's rudimentary pacification syndrome ...heh.   I am making that phrase up, but, at at rudimentary level, there's just enough access to provision and leisure accesses to population, it has over successive generations since ... ameliorated immediate senses urgency, both in the individual, but integrating to communities and bulk-communities ...eventually all of cultural moves along with those modes of thinking. 

Little longer op-ed:  Humans are slaved to their corporeal senses... Those being, sight and sound, touch, taste and smell, etc?  If a 'threat' does not immediately appeal to one of those, there is less impelled reaction.  That does not exactly parlay into several generations later, having evolved compulsory checks and balances and/or a basal moral/ethical system that keeps gun purveyors and psychotics, in check, does it.  No. Among other shitty aspects of it all, it doesn't fix those either. 

As an aside, good luck getting global warming across, when it is really invisible.  That thing has 0 advocates.  We were musing in a text stream over this ... it's like we are in a slow moving 'quasi' anarchy-like, dystopian meltdown.  The 5 minutes scene isn't dense enough to see it.  But spread out over 5 or 25 years ... we do sometimes see cars overturned on fire. Bricks thrown through windows.  People tearing down streets wielding guns and knives.  Ransacking.  Spread out over longer time spans, there are examples of all those ... much, much closer to reality than merely symbolic, actually taking place.  Be it rushes on department stores.  Mass shootings.  Violence and sporting events more and more commonplace ... wtf do we think that shit is, when laws, much less mores, provide no deterrence ?!

We are currently in a slow cooking frog phenomenon, and it is we that turn up the heat...

That resulting incidences carry shame, yes.  But the real shame is on evolution.  It provided human kind with a unique ability for cause->effect calculus, yet we don't do the math.  Or, often times, ignore, spin truth, rationalize the results on the other side of the proverbial equals sign, if it doesn't fit into our self-centered ways and means..  Unless making the dumb decision actually incurs a consequential pain, the other human motivation circuitry takes over.  And it's unfortunately that is where the darker side of humanity lurks. Despite all conceits and conventions to the notions that people are basically good - that is the dumbest f notion ever.   

No, they are not.  Not in a system of provision, where scarcity no longer teaches, or by circumstance, keeps relearning the the lessons of what is really valued, and thus appreciates.

That failing is always in place now in modernity less guided by those curbs.  And really, since the Industrial Revolution made it plausible that all echelons, despite however impoverished, still do in general escape the over-shadowing existential fears that those countless heredity's prior to the "invention of surplus" - which the industrial revolution brought an escape to humanity - lived in fully.  

It's really like we are not evolved enough to handle the power and impunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea and America does it the best with easy access to military style weapons.

Other than their looks, the only real difference between the "tactical" rifles and semi-auto hunting rifles available for the past 60+ years is clip/magazine capacity.  My Remington pump-action .30-06, produced in 1964, fires a far more powerful cartridge than the .223 most often found in those military style weapons, but my rifle only holds 5 rounds.  The venerable (19th century) lever-action .30-30 holds seven.  Since removing the 2nd amendment is probably a lot less likely than the US being carbon neutral by 2040, other steps could be proposed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Other than their looks, the only real difference between the "tactical" rifles and semi-auto hunting rifles available for the past 60+ years is clip/magazine capacity.  My Remington pump-action .30-06, produced in 1964, fires a far more powerful cartridge than the .223 most often found in those military style weapons, but my rifle only holds 5 rounds.  The venerable (19th century) lever-action .30-30 holds seven.  Since removing the 2nd amendment is probably a lot less likely than the US being carbon neutral by 2040, other steps could be proposed.

The sales of ar-15 copies and the general proliferation of firearm ownership in the last 20 years has made some powerful people a ton of money. Nothing will change and kids and innocent people will keep dying. Until we value the lives of innocent people over our belief in an unobstructed right to own any and all firearms, this shame will not stop. It’s part of our culture’s descent into the machiavellian madness of prioritizing individual over collective needs and rights. It’s only going to get worse before/if it ever gets better. At some point every single one of us will be impacted by gun violence, and, like climate change, that may be the point we finally do something. But thousands more innocents will die before then.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I could name a bunch of countries I'd feel less safe being in, but yeah, we can do a lot better. Although what's happening in Ukraine does give me a little pause.

Well the point is lets not wrap ourselves around a piece of paper written by a bunch of colonizers hundreds of years ago and say/think this is an unmovable “right” and thus it cannot be amended to calculate for present day life. 

Yes, people will always kill people but we can easily curb mass shootings and gun violence like so many other countries have. 

16 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Hypocrisy at it's finest....a lot of that going around these days. More contagious than the latest omicron variant

It’s sickening to watch some of these politicians and media outlets continue to bend over with their hands tied behind their backs to the NRA while blaming everyone and everything else.