Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

6 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

just like last year where there was a 4-6wk reprieve around the same time then cases and masks started creeping back to then retreat by July, then head up towards Fall. Seasonality. 

I’m just tired of the masking. Nowhere else do I have to wear it.  I think this time the compliance will be pretty low. Get past security and they’ll come down. I’m not sitting there again 8 hours a day in a mask.  Fook that.  And the hybrid folks will be gone again. Not like there were many back anyway. This will drive them home again. 
Mask 8 hours a day? Or Zoom in shorts and barefoot and outside in May/June. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

So my 401 is down 200k since Jan ‘21, unsightly’s can now go topless on Nantucket, and worst of all,  my company put us back in masks an hour ago. 
Mandatory. But we can sit together and eat lunch for an hour until we go back in the lab or at our desk. All hybrid employees can use their own judgement as to how safe it is to come in to the office. 
Im praying we go back yellow soon. It was a great 7 weeks maskless though. 

That is pathetic. Sorry your company is so lame and anti-science. You are in the .01% of organizations still carrying on with such nonsense, I’m sorry to tell you

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Their accountant told them they needed to spend more money actually.  But yes they may as will be printing their own money.

Do you know what their profit margin is on a can of beer? I just looked at their prices and every can is like $5-6 each.  They have zero distribution costs where they just brew/can and sell it on the spot. They have no trucking costs and no liquor/beer wholesaler involvement. Their profits must be enormous compared to how conventional breweries operate using mainly wholesale distributors. 

Screenshot_20220506-194149_Chrome.thumb.jpg.be9cbe5948a3ed61093c826d67dc3219.jpg

42 minutes ago, Tolland Death Band said:

That is pathetic. Sorry your company is so lame and anti-science. You are in the .01% of organizations still carrying on with such nonsense, I’m sorry to tell you

I work for a pharma company. Lol

Anti science is right though. But it’s not us scientists making these decisions. It’s the lawyers and business types. They’ll follow the CDC guidelines as a CYA. If the cdc dropped the color coded non sense, we wouldn’t be doing it. I’m hoping this orange level only lasts a few weeks. Reminds me of the silly terror alert levels we used to have 15 years ago.

All it’s doing is driving everyone back home again, except us that have to work onsite because we have no choice. 
That 10.1 number is what did it. Yesterday  it was 9.7 and we were fine. It went to 10.1 this morning and we got the email at 2:30 this afternoon we were back in masks. Oh well.

649F9A1C-2097-4A15-8BCB-FEADE3FC8265.jpeg

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I’m just tired of the masking. Nowhere else do I have to wear it.  I think this time the compliance will be pretty low. Get past security and they’ll come down. I’m not sitting there again 8 hours a day in a mask.  Fook that.  And the hybrid folks will be gone again. Not like there were many back anyway. This will drive them home again. 

Most folks would quit . Balls up and walk 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol. Have to feed the family. I make way too much to walk. But yea, a lot of the lab folks have talked about “working from home” for about 6 weeks and see how long it takes to get this crap gone when the lab work doesn’t get done. 

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Do you know what their profit margin is on a can of beer? I just looked at their prices and every can is like $5-6 each.  They have zero distribution costs where they just brew/can and sell it on the spot. They have no trucking costs and no liquor/beer wholesaler involvement. Their profits must be enormous compared to how conventional breweries operate using mainly wholesale distributors. 

Screenshot_20220506-194149_Chrome.thumb.jpg.be9cbe5948a3ed61093c826d67dc3219.jpg

When the Charlton location opened they were grossing $60k+ on Saturdays.   Think about that.

Edit: I can't speak for TreeHouse but smaller breweries making similar Double IPA's it would cost anywhere from $1.00 - $2.00 can to produce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Lol. Have to feed the family. I make way too much to walk.

That’s America right there.  At-Will employment, one can walk away at any time, or they can chose that what the company offers to them is better than the alternative.  Likewise a company can just chose to part ways as well.

The system is quite intriguing but it seems to work.  Checks and balances.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Likewise a company can just chose to part ways as well.

Well not really. On paper, yes. In practice, no.

It takes months and months. And then you have to document, write up Performance Improvement Plans, and go through a million hoops. I’ve had to fire 3 employees over the years. The last one took 10 months to get the process completed start to finish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Well not really. On paper, yes. In practice, no.

It takes months and months. And then you have to document, write up Performance Improvement Plans, and go through a million hoops. I’ve had to fire 3 employees over the years. The last one took 10 months to get the process completed start to finish. 

Sounds like the feds. Although 10 months would be record breaking. 

23 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Close the shades till the fed reverses course on its first attempt at a real tightening cycle in 13 years . It’s really that simple . They influence valuation multiples with their policy and they influence wether it makes cent$ to buy risk assets or bonds or appreciate house prices or have nowhere to hide .

They gave the market monetary crack since 2009 , and since November they have been taking it away and have only grown more determined in their rhetoric. They will reverse course as the system has become dependent on monetary excess once inflation begins to decline significantly on a year over year basis . The mid terms will offer a political push to change or at minimum pause current course . China’s latest lockdown was basically economic warfare to really screw western countries more into a tight spot since it increases supply chain inflation pressures again .

Between China’s lockdowns and Russia’s unrelenting vicious, violent assault and threats, to say nothing of the political pettiness and social insanity among people here at home, I have grown despondent and bitter about the behavior of humanity, at times wanting nothing to do with humanity for the rest of my life.

Like, I want to get me a small but fortress-like compound and a lifetime supply of food and podcasts and mode trains and just cut people off. 

12 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Hummingbirds are back. 

Saw a bat this evening.

Great sunset.

Winni railroad ran today.

Mt. Washington docked at the Weirs.

So many motorcycles that I've had trouble sleeping this week.

My balsam fir grove is pumping out a nice spring perfume.

Saucer magnolias will open tomorrow.

Spring has reached full power.

Lots of hummers here this morning. Orioles and rose breasted grosbeaks too.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 1:56 PM, WhitinsvilleWX said:

So my 401 is down 200k since Jan ‘21, unsightly’s can now go topless on Nantucket, and worst of all,  my company put us back in masks an hour ago. 
Mandatory. But we can sit together and eat lunch for an hour until we go back in the lab or at our desk. All hybrid employees can use their own judgement as to how safe it is to come in to the office. 
Im praying we go back yellow soon. It was a great 7 weeks maskless though. 

Did you mean January 2022?   I have to say our financial guys are great.   Pulling monthly mrd but total is holding its own.  Of course we’re in different life stages.   At your age I lost and gained a lot and multiple times but it was abstract.   Now 50% is income producing gaining guaranteed year to year but I don’t plan to turn it on until my wife is in her 70s at the earliest.  Right now with side gigs, pension, ssn, mrd our income is well above what it was before retirement.

I went to a meeting at the seaport convention center on Monday.  Probably 98% without masks.   People are over it and managing their personal risk based on their situation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Did you mean January 2022?   I have to say our financial guys are great.   Pulling monthly mrd but total is holding its own.  Of course we’re in different life stages.   At your age I lost and gained a lot and multiple times but it was abstract.   Now 50% is income producing gaining guaranteed year to year but I don’t plan to turn it on until my wife is in her 70s at the earliest.  Right now with side gigs, pension, ssn, mrd our income is well above what it was before retirement.

I went to a meeting at the seaport convention center on Monday.  Probably 98% without masks.   People are over it and managing their personal risk based on their situation.

I was at a conference in Orlando two weeks ago. At least 100 out of the 500 got it, fortunately most were mild. I know of one that was hospitalized, but stable. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That seems really high!   

There was a survey of 1500 people from who attended the phish concerts at Madison Square Garden two weekends ago and 42% reported testing positive for COVID.  I know this isn't how it works, but you could estimate 8K cases from the concerts, which were held over four consecutive nights.  Capacity is 20K and you probably have a 75% return rate of attendees (basically the same audience night after night). 

49 minutes ago, tunafish said:

There was a survey of 1500 people from who attended the phish concerts at Madison Square Garden two weekends ago and 42% reported testing positive for COVID.  I know this isn't how it works, but you could estimate 8K cases from the concerts, which were held over four consecutive nights.  Capacity is 20K and you probably have a 75% return rate of attendees (basically the same audience night after night). 

So my convention center conference had mostly health professionals meaning probably >90% vaxed.   But honestly the person I met with traveled up to Boston unmasked and has been traveling around the country.  Non symptomatic.  I had to get my periodic PCR test this week for my other gig.  Negative.   Almost a week out and I’m hearing nothing and feeling fine.  Who knows?

On 5/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, WhitinsvilleWX said:

snowflakes yr around for you.   pathetic man .. move on