• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/17/2022, 3/21/2022 & 3/22/2022 Severe Weather, Major Tornado Damage in New Orleans

Iceresistance

7 minutes ago, Calderon said:

You obviously have no idea how shitty construction is in a majority of that part of New Orleans…

Indeed.  Given the multi-vortex nature with the discrete funnels, I would be surprised if it was lower than EF3, though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Witness Protection Program said:

Tornado south of Birmingham about to reach the suburbs of Helena, Pelham, Alabaster.

What's standing out with this particular event is how these  tornadoes are seemingly taken aim at all of these different population centers.

Even DFW had 2 weaker tornadoes confirmed.

4 minutes ago, Powerball said:

What's standing out with this particular event is how these  tornadoes are seemingly taken aim at all of these different population centers.

Even DFW had 2 weaker tornadoes confirmed.

Eh, I would be careful about personifying the storms.  This was an extreme south outbreak, well south of even the usual "Dixie Alley" outbreaks, and many people live close to coastlines.  Even on the less populated Gulf Coast, most of the areas have population centers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brianc33710 said:

How much of this area hit tonight was rebuilt after Katrina? Obviously if areas impacted had stricter building codes since 2005 this could be noteworthy.

Much of it.  Although reports are that there are a large number of manufactured homes that were demolished, it does sound like there were well-built structures in the mix as well that were hit very hard.  Mets on the air are stating the damage "looks worse" than the EF3 that hit in 2017, but I don't know how much buy-in I have as they all appear to be in a bit of shock (understandably so).

All preliminary and subject to change, of course. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CryHavoc said:

People in the parish, perhaps unsurprisingly, reporting the damage inflicted greatly exceeds that of Katrina.

Well obviously a vastly different type of damage, so it's hard to make a fair comparison.

Katrina submerged the whole neighborhood in water for days on end, so all the houses were still standing but filled with mold and uninhabitable.

Tornado levels everything in a small area.