• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
3/17/2022, 3/21/2022 & 3/22/2022 Severe Weather, Major Tornado Damage in New Orleans

Iceresistance

Good discussion from SPC. I agree that the ceiling is going to come down to how much warm sector activity there is. The parameter space will strongly favor supercells with low-level rotation, given hodograph shape and sizable 0-3km CAPE.

The other factor that may limit the outbreak to some degree is that deep layer shear vectors are almost parallel to the boundary, where forcing is stronger. (SW as opposed to more westerly, in higher end events like 4/28/14)

The result should be a broken band or two with QLCS circulations and embedded supercell structures. Wind damage with isolated tornadoes can be expected in that regime, while a conditional risk for open sector tornadic supercells will exist as far east as western Alabama later today.

Any sustained open sector supercells will have the better potential to be longer lived, in terms of tornado production.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sojitodd said:

Well thank God it looks like nobody was killed. Hope the same holds out for today.

That red truck video was insane. They just kept going...how? I would have been too stunned and in shock to do anything.

Got word that one has died in Grayson County on the Texas Side of Lake Texhoma, this was confirmed by a Mod on a different forum. :(

• Sad 1

• Iceresistance changed the title to 3/17/2022, 3/21/2022 & 3/22/2022 Severe Weather, Dangerous outbreak very possible in Louisiana & Mississippi
6 minutes ago, stormdragonwx said:

I might end up eating my words later, but looking at current trends I am now getting the feeling yesterday was the bigger of the two days. We will see. I just got a feeling this will be a messy storm mode setting up which will hamper the tornado threat.

As far as the long tracked tornado threat, probably. Discrete cells will not be as long lived today if they do manage to form.

• Like 1

90-60 Tor probs on the new watch

SEL1

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
   Tornado Watch Number 61
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1040 AM CDT Tue Mar 22 2022

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of 
     Eastern and Southern Louisiana
     Central and Southern Mississippi
     Coastal Waters

* Effective this Tuesday morning and evening from 1040 AM until
     700 PM CDT.

* Primary threats include...
     Several tornadoes and a couple intense tornadoes likely
     Widespread damaging winds and isolated significant gusts to 75
       mph likely
     Isolated large hail events to 1.5 inches in diameter possible

SUMMARY...A tornado/damaging risk will progress east-northeastward
   into and across additional portions of southern/eastern Louisiana
   into much of central and southern Mississippi through the afternoon.
   A few strong/intense tornadoes (EF2+) are possible, particularly
   with any semi-discrete supercells that develop to the east of a
   quasi-linear band of storms. This risk is supported by an increasing
   moist/unstable air mass in the presence of very strong
   deep-layer/low-level shear.

The tornado watch area is approximately along and 70 statute miles
   east and west of a line from 35 miles east northeast of Greenwood MS
   to 20 miles south southwest of Houma LA. For a complete depiction of
   the watch see the associated watch outline update (WOUS64 KWNS
   WOU1).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

REMEMBER...A Tornado Watch means conditions are favorable for
   tornadoes and severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch
   area. Persons in these areas should be on the lookout for
   threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements
   and possible warnings.

&&

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 60...

AVIATION...Tornadoes and a few severe thunderstorms with hail
   surface and aloft to 1.5 inches. Extreme turbulence and surface wind
   gusts to 65 knots. A few cumulonimbi with maximum tops to 500. Mean
   storm motion vector 21040.

...Guyer
  • Thanks 1

• Iceresistance changed the title to 3/17/2022, 3/21/2022 & 3/22/2022 Severe Weather, Tornado Watch in place for Louisiana & Mississippi

Everything is pretty much evolving as expected. The squall line in western Mississippi may be advancing slightly quicker than forecast, but that’s common for these setups.

The wildcard was open warm sector development. It’s underway across southern Mississippi and adjacent Louisiana. A couple of cells near/just west of Hattiesburg appear to be in the process of better organizing. This coincides with cloud breaks and 100+ J/kg 0-3km MLCAPE. I’d keep an eye on that area.

Any reports from that storm? I chased it from Taylorsville to Decatur before bailing. Couldn’t see anything with the terrain and swarm of chasers. Only caught a few brief glimpses of a scuddy wall cloud. 
There's been two tornado reports of a tornado "almost" on the ground, but that's it. Personally know people on it and they say it hasn't been close to producing.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Certainly looks like it has a pretty well defined area of low level rotation on radar but looks like it would be really tough to get a good look through the rain around it. Also looks like the main line will be impacting it more shortly if it doesn't start taking more of a jog E. Curious if any of the smaller cells further south can organize more. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vman722 said:

Certainly looks like it has a pretty well defined area of low level rotation on radar but looks like it would be really tough to get a good look through the rain around it. Also looks like the main line will be impacting it more shortly if it doesn't start taking more of a jog E. Curious if any of the smaller cells further south can organize more. 

Those cells imo are going to be what defines today. Though line certainly couldn’t produce damaging spin up variety tornadoes.

3 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Just too messy of a storm mode at the moment

Yeah, there's very little separation anywhere and the atmosphere is getting pretty worked over. There might still be a few strong embedded tornadoes, but I doubt we see anything overly significant. 

Shear vector orientation, virtually uncapped warm sector and a very moist boundary layer = messy and clustered storm mode. A very sloppy evolution so far, but can’t say it’s that far off from what most convection allowing models suggested. 

• Iceresistance changed the title to 3/17/2022, 3/21/2022 & 3/22/2022 Severe Weather, Major Tornado Damage in New Orleans