Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer Observations 2022

Carvers Gap

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Wildfire showing up on radar in Sevier County

Unfortunately, winds will likely increase significantly in that area this evening. This particular setup actually favors that area for very high winds, especially in the Cove Mountain area.

MRX

A climatologically high-end mountain wave event is occurring
this afternoon and into tonight. Gusts 80 to 90 mph still seem
likely, and possibly close to the 100 mph range. Outside of the
mountains, gusts up to 50 mph are expected in some areas.

7 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Wildfire showing up on radar in Sevier County

Looks like a mess.  I saw on AshevilleWx that there was a link to one of the resort cams which shows the fire.  Let's hope the high winds don't hit that fire before the rain does.  During the Gatlinburg fire, the first line of rain died out and then the wind hit.  An understatement on my part, we need the initial line to just pour down rain.  For some reason we have been having combined fire and sever wx threads during the past 4-5 years, even during spring!

Looks like a mess.  I saw on AshevilleWx that there was a link to one of the resort cams which shows the fire.  Let's hope the high winds don't hit that fire before the rain does.  During the Gatlinburg fire, the first line of rain died out and then the wind hit.  An understatement on my part, we need the initial line to just pour down rain.  For some reason we have been having combined fire and sever wx threads during the past 4-5 years, even during spring!

There was a report of a 74mph wind gust at 9:00pm at Cove Mountain. Not too far away from this fire.

Also, a fire has broke out on Clinch Mountain east of Gate City.
  • Like 1

Picked up 0.02in today. The system just hit a brick wall as it moved NE it seems. I think convection along the coast robbed a good bit of the energy as well, which led to a sharp drop off the further north you go. Looks like we could see a few showers this evening/overnight, but now have to pin our hopes on tomorrow and whatever can be squeezed out on Friday/Saturday 

• Like 2

I jus tread on social media that LeConte Lodge has 6.5" of snow and counting.  Driving to JC tonight, I could see peaks(along the spine of the Apps) over 5,000' have snow on them.  On the way back from JC as we were crossing Bays on I-26, snow was falling w/ a mix in the valley where rates where high.  

• Like 2

The snow showers are making it into the valley from the plateau up this way. Making for a pretty morning all considered. Yesterday while in Abingdon I experienced a first. In the late afternoon some dime size hail was followed by some bursting snow say 20 minutes later. Temps were in the upper 40s and dropped to the mid 40s. My only guess is a strong downdraft associated with the storm allowed the flakes to reach ground altitude as much of a stretch as it was. Really ties in with the crazy wind we've been getting.

• Like 2