• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York-Springtime?

5 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Why does that area south of cuse in the tully to cazenovia area always max out pretty will? Is it a bit of upslope, I mean they are decently removed from the lake and would need nw flow

The flow is out of the NW..We get that wind direction a lot in the winter, obviously..I feel like"majority" of big events (feet) happen east of the lake but you probably see more consistent snow SE of the lake with the constant northerly flows..They obviously have some elevation as well.. The tug can upslope from various wind direction which is why they have it made lol 

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

The flow is out of the NW..We get that wind direction a lot in the winter, obviously..I feel like"majority" of big events (feet) happen east of the lake but you probably see more consistent snow SE of the lake with the constant northerly flows..They obviously have some elevation as well.. The tug can upslope from various wind direction which is why they have it made lol 

I guess what I mean, while it probably snows a lot, it seems like its a lot of minor like 2-4 3-5 constant type events and chance of a big event like 12+ is tough to come by

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

It always astounds me when the tug can cash in on a NW flow. It makes no sense. Lol

• Like 1

Yawn. The Syracuse suckfest continues on. I hate NW flow lake effect. We maybe have gotten two inches, but it melts, then a new dusting, then melts... somewhat of a snowcover, but hard to get much more with the crap elevation and the ever-so-typical showery scope of lake effect. We rarely ever see consistent snowfall like the Tug and Buffalo areas. I am sure this will put BGM over SYR even though we were "supposed" to get more.

• Like 1

This was never going to be much at lower elevations unless there was surprisingly long lasting heavy snow that doesn't happen this time of year with cellular lake effect or extreme cold. I don't know why NWS and some mets put up the clown maps, but I complain about that enough.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yawn. The Syracuse suckfest continues on. I hate NW flow lake effect. We maybe have gotten two inches, but it melts, then a new dusting, then melts... somewhat of a snowcover, but hard to get much more with the crap elevation and the ever-so-typical showery scope of lake effect. We rarely ever see consistent snowfall like the Tug and Buffalo areas. I am sure this will put BGM over SYR even though we were "supposed" to get more.

Your expectations always exceed reality. The 2 inches I got today exceeded my expectations and if the majority hadn’t fallen during the night I wouldn’t have gotten that. Don’t forget our sun angle is now the same as mid September’s and the normal high is in the mid 40s and rising every day. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I think it's more due to the NWS expectations lol Forecast is still for some snow this evening SE of the lake.. They continue to update event total which started yesterday at 5 pm through tomorrow AM..

StormTotalSnow (17).jpg

Exactly. Lol... Thanks! BGM is usually more conservative with their maps, and I know to follow theirs. So, when they usually show a healthier amount, I think they're seeing something that would make it more of a reality.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I think it's more due to the NWS expectations lol Forecast is still for some snow this evening SE of the lake.. They continue to update event total which started yesterday at 5 pm through tomorrow AM..

StormTotalSnow (17).jpg

That map for N Cayuga toward Onondaga county is bonkers. C'mon divide by 2...

• Haha 1

The most organized lake effect snow will be closely tied to upstream
connections. A Georgian Bay connection is likely to tie into Lake
Ontario lake effect this evening and continue through Monday
morning. There is low confidence in the exact placement of this
band, but most 12Z model guidance has shifted the most
persistent band southeast of Lake Ontario from Monroe to Oswego counties
with potential secondary band to the west of this. An
additional 2-4 inches is likely in most persistent bands
tonight.

3 minutes ago, vortmax said:

For some reason, I thought you were south. LEK should be getting it good in Caz.

No, I'm in the Northwest corner of the county. It's been a "better" winter here than most of the rest of the county (with the exception of the Route 20 corridor from Skan. to Caz) where they've been the jackpot zone.

One of the wintriest nighttime shots of downtown Syracuse for the season tonight:

Armory Square Webcam in Syracuse, NY | Armory Cam