SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022 Fishing Thread

PowderBeard

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Wonder if the ice will be safe in our respective areas on Christmas? Yeah we have the cutter but looks cold other than that.  Shallow ponds have been frozen for Awhile now. 

Still waiting for ice on anything decent sized in my area. Swamps and small ponds might be manageable. I've heard of guys getting out from Central NH northward

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 12:39 PM, wx2fish said:

Still waiting for ice on anything decent sized in my area. Swamps and small ponds might be manageable. I've heard of guys getting out from Central NH northward

Got out yesterday, couple medium sized pickerel.  5-6" in most spots, one thin cove we stayed away from.  Shallow lake.  Deep lakes not ready yet, and this weekend looks hostile unfortunately. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been too good in Maine. So many big fish this year. Won a tournament on Sebago at the end of April with 5 for 22+ lbs. I had a 6.2, a 5.5, some 4+, and then one damn 2 pound fish I could not cull out. I lost two over 4 lbs that day too. A co-angler actually took big fish that day with a 6.70 largie. There were many smallies over 4 lbs weighed in too. I stuck to targeting shallow largemouth because it was my first time there and didn't have time to go looking for the off-shore smallies prior to the tournament.

May be an image of 2 people and people fishing

Starting to see beds everywhere though. Next tourney is not until June on Moose Pond. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

It's been too good in Maine. So many big fish this year. Won a tournament on Sebago at the end of April with 5 for 22+ lbs. I had a 6.2, a 5.5, some 4+, and then one damn 2 pound fish I could not cull out. I lost two over 4 lbs that day too. A co-angler actually took big fish that day with a 6.70 largie. There were many smallies over 4 lbs weighed in too. I stuck to targeting shallow largemouth because it was my first time there and didn't have time to go looking for the off-shore smallies prior to the tournament.

Starting to see beds everywhere though. Next tourney is not until June on Moose Pond. 

Nice work.   Per a friend Quabbin has been really good for smallies and they're just getting on the beds now.  Salmon apparently have been tough, but the word is that there is a ridiculous amount of baitfish out there showing up on fishfinders... so maybe that bodes well for some big fish of all varieties down the road.    At any rate, if you're pulling in 6lb'ers at Sebago you're probably not missing much.

45 minutes ago, radarman said:

Nice work.   Per a friend Quabbin has been really good for smallies and they're just getting on the beds now.  Salmon apparently have been tough, but the word is that there is a ridiculous amount of baitfish out there showing up on fishfinders... so maybe that bodes well for some big fish of all varieties down the road.    At any rate, if you're pulling in 6lb'ers at Sebago you're probably not missing much.

It is such an amazing place, and it will make you a better fisherman. There are not many places in New England where you are fishing for bass at 40-50' in crystal clear water a majority of the year. It and Sebago are very similar in terms of clarity and bottom composition, so I did what I do at the Quabbin this time of year for largemouth. Find a pocket/inflow with 10-15' of water and rocks that is warmer than anywhere else on the lake and drag a jig around. haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Nice! Heck of a bag. I havent been out much, but I won a small club tourny on Merrymeeting with 4 smallies for 17.5lb. Been a good spring for big ones. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...