Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 Fishing Thread

PowderBeard

On 5/2/2022 at 6:31 PM, tunafish said:

@PowderBeard  Welcome (or soon to be) to the area!

It's a bit further south than where you're at, but Highland Lake on the Westbrook/Windham/Falmouth line is a goldmine for small and largemouth.  The only motor boats on there are from waterfront properties.  The only public boat launch is on the south side of the pond, but even then it's blocked so you have to carry in your non-motorized vessel.  I'm out there in my canoe a bunch in the summer as it's the closest freshwater spot to me, be happy to take you out when you're settled in.

Thanks! I'm ready for Maine after my last few weeks fishing in Mass are ending better than I could have dreamed of.  Yesterday this one tied the mark of 7lbs 1oz for one of, if not the biggest, to come out the Quabbin. She was long, lean, and just under 25". Ate a heavy football jig in 15'. Thought I was on a rock, so I popped it, and then it took off like a striper. Jumped about 60' out and thought it was a solid 5 pounder. When she got closer to the boat I couldn't believe it. Swam away to drop her eggs later this month.

quabbin7.jpg

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Thanks! I'm ready for Maine after my last few weeks fishing in Mass are ending better than I could have dreamed of.  Yesterday this one tied the mark of 7lbs 1oz for one of, if not the biggest, to come out the Quabbin. She was long, lean, and just under 25". Ate a heavy football jig in 15'. Thought I was on a rock, so I popped it, and then it took off like a striper. Jumped about 60' out and thought it was a solid 5 pounder. When she got closer to the boat I couldn't believe it. Swam away to drop her eggs later this month.

quabbin7.jpg

Holy sh*t, what an absolute unit she is!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

quabbin7.jpg

Holy smokes! I fished Quabbin yesterday for 8.5 hours, first time, between the two of us we got 3 smallies all on spinnerbaits, threw jigs, jerkbaits, senko's,  biggest about 2.5 lbs. Was tough fishing yesterday but still fun. Congrats.

20 hours ago, fz583 said:

Holy smokes! I fished Quabbin yesterday for 8.5 hours, first time, between the two of us we got 3 smallies all on spinnerbaits, threw jigs, jerkbaits, senko's,  biggest about 2.5 lbs. Was tough fishing yesterday but still fun. Congrats.

Yea this is definitely the toughest spring I have seen at the Quabbin. There were almost 200 boats out last Sunday and hardly saw any fish pics posted on the Quabbin FB forum. Smallies on spinnerbaits are super fun! 

On 5/7/2022 at 9:02 AM, PowderBeard said:

quabbin7.jpg

You're killing it PB, hope the fishing is as good in Maine.

Man what an monster. That's a special fish, don't see many over 7, even on Erie or the St Lawrence. 

I've been out a couple times to some of the smallie lakes in lakes region. Did most of the damage on jerkbaits in 6-12ft. A handful in the 4lb class. Water temps are still pretty cool. 

• 2 weeks later...

First fish stew in more than a year last night, after a decent morning on North Pond Wednesday.  Caught a bunch of small (17-19") pike and lost several more, then when almost back to the channel toward the landing, a nice 4-5 pounder - 25" long and its weight augmented by the pair of 7" white perch in its tummy.  That one's in the freezer along with 2 decent-size white perch while the smaller pike made for last night's dinner, tonight's as well.  (Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife has handled the pike invasion in an odd sequence.  Initial reaction was dismay, then when big ones were showing up in Belgrade Lakes the species was considered a game fish, with a 24" minimum and 2 fish limit - only one fish at North Pond.  Then 6-7 years ago, pike disappeared from the law book - no mention at all, became an "unfish".  Now IFW recommends that no pike be put back in the water alive, which might be what the initial reaction had been.)

• Like 2

quabbin7.jpg

Beautiful fish, ugly hat

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Beautiful fish, ugly hat

Half right.
2nd trip to North Pond yesterday, some smaller fish and a pike a bit longer than 28", about 6 lb.  (The "slim fish" equation - [length*girth squared]/900 - comes to 6.2.)  An Amish couple was fishing nearby and filled a bucket with white perch

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Half right.
2nd trip to North Pond yesterday, some smaller fish and a pike a bit longer than 28", about 6 lb.  (The "slim fish" equation - [length*girth squared]/900 - comes to 6.2.)  An Amish couple was fishing nearby and filled a bucket with white perch

Sounds like the Mennonite couple went over their bag limit. I never have great luck catching white perch I get one here and there but I can't say I'm targeting them either

5 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Sounds like the Mennonite couple went over their bag limit. I never have great luck catching white perch I get one here and there but I can't say I'm targeting them either

No bag limit in Maine on perch of either color.  ;)
I'd caught  nice one 10" but tossed it back.  Had I caught another like that one, I'd have started keeping them, but the other 2 that got caught were 7-8"; for me that's too small to be worth cleaning.  I also caught an 18" pike that jumped like its junior cousin; I'd never before seen a pike much longer than a foot jump clear of the water, while I've had 20"+ pickerel do it.  20 years ago I'd catch as many pickerel as pike at North Pond, but only one in the past dozen years as the bigger guys took over.

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Heading up to Lake Ontario this weekend for some King Salmon and Brown Trout, fishing's been good so far this year, maybe catch a couple Lakers too. Last two years haven't been very good so hopefully our luck changes this year.

Dress warm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well fishing in Maine is....incredible. Cracked a few largies over 6 lbs already, and it's some fun fishing. Not staring at electronics in 30-50' for smallies. Which is fun but got old after a season.

I think I "over-corrected" in terms of boats. Went from out 16' with a 20hp Merc to this beast. Saw the posting from a gentleman far Downeast, couldn't believe it but was real but hopped in the truck and was worth a 5 hour drive to see. Ended up driving it home that night after a test drive. A mint 19+' Javelin, barn/boathouse kept with a new powerhead on the motor. One of the few bass rigs ever made under 20' that took a 225HP motor. 

No description available.

• Like 5

Just found this thread.  I was in the Adirondacks region around Lake Pleasant over the 4th and enjoyed several days of small mouth, rock bass, and red breasted blue gills.  My son nabbed a small stocker trout but not worth eating this time.  Nothing over 4 LBS, but every day delivered using spoons and plastics. Heading back in August and will try some new things to get to the lunkers who seem to be a bit cagey.  There are lakers up there as well as walleye, but I have never targeted them.  

On 5/6/2022 at 10:12 PM, tunafish said:

No, but half this town is covered in PFAS now from a composting facility that uses paper and wastewater sludge so I'm not surprised it's showing up other places.  It's always been there to, it's just that we're testing for it now 

10 hours ago, Whineminster said:

No, but half this town is covered in PFAS now from a composting facility that uses paper and wastewater sludge so I'm not surprised it's showing up other places.  It's always been there to, it's just that we're testing for it now 

And measuring down to tiny concentrations.  Something like 30 parts/trillion for PFAs is the threshold.  30 years ago parts/billion was the limit of precision.

• Like 1

quabbin7.jpg

Epic

On 7/12/2022 at 7:37 AM, PowderBeard said:

Well fishing in Maine is....incredible. Cracked a few largies over 6 lbs already, and it's some fun fishing. Not staring at electronics in 30-50' for smallies. Which is fun but got old after a season.

I think I "over-corrected" in terms of boats. Went from out 16' with a 20hp Merc to this beast. Saw the posting from a gentleman far Downeast, couldn't believe it but was real but hopped in the truck and was worth a 5 hour drive to see. Ended up driving it home that night after a test drive. A mint 19+' Javelin, barn/boathouse kept with a new powerhead on the motor. One of the few bass rigs ever made under 20' that took a 225HP motor. 

No description available.

That's a sweet ass boat

• 1 month later...