• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 Fishing Thread

PowderBeard

Well ski season is wrapping up. I finally took some time to organize the Bass Pro Shops section of my basement this week. Gear is ready, next week will be prepping the boat. Hopefully get out later in the week as temps will be in the 50s and the ice is melting. Still need 3 more cases for swimbaits and flipping baits and have two other rods coming this weekend that Lews warrantied without an issue. The both broke just below the reel seats last season, which is really strange spot to break a rod. I really liked their customer service and will see if their rods hold up this year.  Plan is the local puddles and rivers until Quabbin opens on April 18th, then we move to Maine early-mid June. Should be fun exploring some new areas up there. 

275315807_637338084007838_8435480781366766526_n.thumb.jpg.f1dc4998112d707fa1afc1cba63aa689.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Anybody venture out yet? Anybody have a link for water temps around here?

Was out Friday on a local river. Tons of dace, a couple bass on jerkbaits, water was 42-46*. Have a few buddies that have been hitting the CT River in Mass and southern VT. Water had been 38-41*, they have been getting lots of big catfish (8-15lbs) on blades/spoons over deep holes.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, mreaves said:

Pretty soon it will be Sebago season for you instead of Quabbin. 

I haven't enjoyed Sebago the few times I have been, lots of traffic and stunted bass. Crescent and Crystal Lakes are within about 10 minutes of our new place but I plan on spending a lot of time on Thompson and Long Lakes, probably the Androscroggin for pike as well. 

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

I haven't enjoyed Sebago the few times I have been, lots of traffic and stunted bass. Crescent and Crystal Lakes are within about 10 minutes of our new place but I plan on spending a lot of time on Thompson and Long Lakes, probably the Androscroggin for pike as well. 

Are you buying a house up there? Tons of good lakes up there to fish, I spend a lot of time in Maine since my sister lives there, might move up there myself when I near retirement.

3 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

An hour farther north puts the Belgrades in play, if pike are the object.  State record 31-pounder came thru the ice on North Pond, though it was 25+ years ago.  I did see a 20-pounder on that pond's ice about 10 years back.  My biggest there is a bit over 8 pounds, fun on my light tackle.

23 hours ago, tamarack said:

An hour farther north puts the Belgrades in play, if pike are the object.  State record 31-pounder came thru the ice on North Pond, though it was 25+ years ago.  I did see a 20-pounder on that pond's ice about 10 years back.  My biggest there is a bit over 8 pounds, fun on my light tackle.

Yes, love North Pond. Seen some big pike follow my baits in and caught a lot of big fish there. Was amazed to find big smallies under docks and lily pads in 1-2' of water, not something you see often. One of the best parts was this old 5+ dinosaur while my buddy walked across the street to get us all ice cream.  

No photo description available.

My dad and I got on a pretty fun pattern up there, just cast to any sail boat on a mooring in 4-6' of water and there would be multiple fish under it. @MBRI

No photo description available.

On 4/15/2022 at 7:44 AM, DavisStraight said:

Are you buying a house up there? Tons of good lakes up there to fish, I spend a lot of time in Maine since my sister lives there, might move up there myself when I near retirement.

We are renting the first year until we decide where we want to live. Found a nice house with heat included so we jumped on it. 

• Like 4

Nice pics.  Your dad's smallie is significantly bigger than any I've caught.  Probably the biggest largemouth I've had on a line was near Pomleau Island on North - my small canoe stays near the north end of the pond.  Fish took a Kelly Worm and was on for a couple minutes, made one jump about 30' away and looked at least 2 feet, but only a one-second look so who knows as it got off a few seconds later.  Glad that I at least got to see it.   

On 4/15/2022 at 6:30 AM, PowderBeard said:

welcome to the area. Don't sleep on Crescent lake. Some good trout and salmon fishing on the fly in this area if you're into that too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

welcome to the area. Don't sleep on Crescent lake. Some good trout and salmon fishing on the fly in this area if you're into that too.

Thanks! I saw some tournament results from Crescent and was really impressed. I plan on being there often given it is so close. 

On 4/18/2022 at 7:31 AM, MVOyster said:

Headed to Quabbin this week, may rent a boat at Gate 8 or may just fish from shore … this week last year I caught a #5.4lb, 25.5” Landlocked Salmon (State pin!) from the shore there, and several Smallmouth to 19” … one of my favorite places in New England

E3366194-BDBD-4DF9-BB42-9E4D70DF7EF3.jpeg

Very nice! The lakers and salmon are super shallow right now. Lakers are eating any and everything. I went out for an hour on Monday just to test out the boat and grabbed four lakers between 16-24" casting towards shore on blade baits.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@PowderBeard  Welcome (or soon to be) to the area!

It's a bit further south than where you're at, but Highland Lake on the Westbrook/Windham/Falmouth line is a goldmine for small and largemouth.  The only motor boats on there are from waterfront properties.  The only public boat launch is on the south side of the pond, but even then it's blocked so you have to carry in your non-motorized vessel.  I'm out there in my canoe a bunch in the summer as it's the closest freshwater spot to me, be happy to take you out when you're settled in.

15 hours ago, tunafish said:

@PowderBeard  Welcome (or soon to be) to the area!

It's a bit further south than where you're at, but Highland Lake on the Westbrook/Windham/Falmouth line is a goldmine for small and largemouth.  The only motor boats on there are from waterfront properties.  The only public boat launch is on the south side of the pond, but even then it's blocked so you have to carry in your non-motorized vessel.  I'm out there in my canoe a bunch in the summer as it's the closest freshwater spot to me, be happy to take you out when you're settled in.

Did the public launch get blocked due to invasive water plants?  That's what happened at the Rt 27/Belgrade launch on Messalonskee - milfoil there.

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Did the public launch get blocked due to invasive water plants?  That's what happened at the Rt 27/Belgrade launch on Messalonskee - milfoil there.

I would assume so, but I wasn't going there when it wasn't blocked.  They do have signs up about invasive fish, interestingly enough.

On the note of invasive plants...The stream I fish for stocked brookies in (Pleasant River, Windham) seems to have them now.  This is the first time I've ever noticed some type of green plant (not algae) growing on many of the rocks in the stream in my 10 years fishing there.  It's curious because the stream isn't downstream from any lakes as far as I can tell.