Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3/12 Event: Winters Last Hurrah at Least East of Mountains

Weather Will

44 minutes ago, CAPE said:

This event did not fail due to "warmth" in the lowlands. The cold came in right on schedule. Lack of precip at that point is the problem, and the 6z NAM kinda nailed that. Dead zone in between the better forcing to the west behind the front, and the slug of moisture that moved along/ahead of the front that was rain.

I hear ya but I also think there’s something going on with the column for some of us too…radar says it should be snowing halfway decent at my house but it’s literally just a few flurries. I think I’ve had trouble with the snow growth zone and maybe a pesky warm layer or two. Even the decent snow a half hour ago seemed to be rimmed pretty good 

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

I hear ya but I also think there’s something going on with the column for some of us too…radar says it should be snowing halfway decent at my house but it’s literally just a few flurries. I think I’ve had trouble with the snow growth zone and maybe a pesky warm layer or two. Even the decent snow a half hour ago seemed to be rimmed pretty good 

Snow growth definitely sucks in these bands behind the front. It's the same here with the radar- looks good but ground truth is underwhelming. Cold(dry) air advection.

4 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

If some of the earlier runs that had that fgen forced band right along I-95 were correct, you would have done fine there. Given the setup, I always thought that would end up further west.

39 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I feel like we must’ve added 0.5”+ in this last hour but not sure I could prove it.

30 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

This is very reminiscent of the upper Plains.  The footprints from earlier in the day are filled in, but it is hard to make measurements that prove that more snow fell.

My snowboard and car have lost snow since noon, but there’s clearly more snow on everything. Kids patio table has almost 2.5”. Grill has 2”. Both look relatively unaffected by wind. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

That has happened with a bunch of the March events since 2016 that others have cashed in on and around Baltimore city area not so much. No idea why. Probably a peculiarity for these kind of March systems. 

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

That has happened with a bunch of the March events since 2016 that others have cashed in on and around Baltimore city area not so much. No idea why. Probably a peculiarity for these kind of March systems. 

Yeah it’s just a pit lol. Seems like everyone around does well at some point but not here. I just saw a pic on 95 in Elkton and it looks like blizzard conditions. Don’t quite get why I never got it here

23 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Yeah it’s just a pit lol. Seems like everyone around does well at some point but not here. I just saw a pic on 95 in Elkton and it looks like blizzard conditions. Don’t quite get why I never got it here

Locations like yours are just subject to a multitude of issues with any given event, but it's not always the same issue. Two that are always present are UHI and proximity to the bay, and then lack of elevation, which is the primary issue here. I have zero UHI to contend with, and I am on the interior upper part of the eastern shore, so not close to the moderating influences of either bay. The ocean effs us both over when we get a wrapped up coastal or one that tracks just inland. You can miss out on marginal events(me too) where places just to your NW do well, but then I can cash in on offshore tracking lows like this past January, and you mostly miss those too lol. So all that, plus bad snow climo for the region in general, and it can suck pretty bad.

The effects of the solar radiation with the increased sun angle are in full force on the 50x70 asphalt parking pad next to our house near Vienna.  Plowed the 2" of snow and slush off this morning so it wouldn't free up tonight.  The entire area has stayed wet ever since even with temps hovering around 24/25.  No stickage at all with the latest band that went through.  

Sun now out in  Gainesville - Guessing around 2.5-3 inches on the grass. Roads kept getting dusted and then melting and repeating. The last band that came through was the highlight of the event. Overall really fun to watch on the weekend and got out with my son during the heaviest snows. 

• Like 3