Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3/12 Event: Winters Last Hurrah at Least East of Mountains

Weather Will

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Most sheltered places around 7” if you subtract some for “grass”. But I can’t find a good paved surface to use. And I scalp my lawn for winter so it doesn’t add too much. 

One oddity…walked down my hill to my mailbox which is a 1/4 mile away and about 200 feet lower down the ridge. I’ve never seen as significant a difference. Can’t imagine 200 feet made that much difference. Maybe it was wind exposure. Dunno. But you can see for yourself. 

pics from around my property at the top of the ridge

my driveway 

u0daBwv.jpg

side/back yard
Lhwsi9v.jpg

l1aByMd.jpg

YuRAEB4.jpg
Front 

2WBpxvd.jpg

1/4 mile down the road at the bottom of the ridge 

UsAX46Z.jpg

Wow that is incredible!  That wasn't all wind.  Your micro climate is fascinating -- how about summer?  If Balt is say mid-90s, what about you?

24 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That band filling in out west looks pretty solid. Might be able to steal another inch. And the quality of the snow should be better as well. Temps are nice and cold out here. We'll see. 

I'm thinking the same for here as well. I'm at 27.8. Wind is blowing snow around like powder. I think this next round will probably give us NW fokes a little more fun. Flakes seem to be increasing already. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Most sheltered places around 7” if you subtract some for “grass”. But I can’t find a good paved surface to use. And I scalp my lawn for winter so it doesn’t add too much. 

One oddity…walked down my hill to my mailbox which is a 1/4 mile away and about 200 feet lower down the ridge. I’ve never seen as significant a difference. Can’t imagine 200 feet made that much difference. Maybe it was wind exposure. Dunno. But you can see for yourself. 

pics from around my property at the top of the ridge

my driveway 

u0daBwv.jpg

side/back yard
Lhwsi9v.jpg

l1aByMd.jpg

YuRAEB4.jpg
Front 

2WBpxvd.jpg

1/4 mile down the road at the bottom of the ridge 

UsAX46Z.jpg

Wow that's wild. 

And 7 inches is a great event up there. It's not HRDPS stuff, but it certainly verified the other models, especially since you will likely tack on another inch or two with Round 2.

Mostly done here in Urbana, some light snow.  From the radar, might get one more band swinging through soon, maybe another inch.  Guessing about 4.5in out there now. Did cover all surfaces for a time, until the sun angle started weighing in. Slushy wet snow but we are now sitting at 29 degrees likely starting to glaze things.

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Nice pics. That last one looks wind blown. I wouldn't think that elevation difference would make much difference in this situation.

Your area got the best forcing and also good timing.

I definitely think the wind is some of it. But you can see in the woods there isn’t that much there either. I didn’t see any drifts to indicate they got that much but it just blew around. But I’m sure the wind was part of it but it definitely struck me as a significant difference even factoring that in. There were a few storms last year where the valley literally right under me got significantly less. One in December where I got 3” and they barely had a slushy coating at the bottom. But this was even more drastic. And before last year I never noticed much difference between my house and the valley below. Not a drastic visible one anyways. But this is like the 5th time in 2 years there was a visible difference. 

I'm happy to see our northern and western friends getting some good numbers out of this.  I expected/hoped for a bit more here in Western Fairfax, but it looks like 2" isn't too bad.   I only had sleet for 30 minutes or less before it changed over. The pixie dust snow that we had for most of the storm really cut down on totals.  I remember that happening  during one March storm several years ago.   Flake size matters.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I definitely think the wind is some of it. But you can see in the woods there isn’t that much there either. I didn’t see any drifts to indicate they got that much but it just blew around. But I’m sure the wind was part of it but it definitely struck me as a significant difference even factoring that in. There were a few storms last year where the valley literally right under me got significantly less. One in December where I got 3” and they barely had a slushy coating at the bottom. But this was even more drastic. And before last year I never noticed much difference between my house and the valley below. Not a drastic visible one anyways. But this is like the 5th time in 2 years there was a visible difference. 

We have interesting "shadows" around our spruce pines.  Basically little to no snow, just frozen grass.  It's weird.

That radar filling in looks nice.  May get a flizzard warning.

Currently at 32, with occasional flurries but it appears the main show is done here. As @Kingstonian mentioned earlier (I'm just downhill from him), we got just shy of an inch. Winds were a bit gusty at times this morning, at least enough to give us horizontal snow. They seem to be picking up more now.

Our best rates (somewhat visible in background of this video) came between 9-11 a.m. and this guy was perfectly content to hang in our dogwood tree most of the morning until the snow started to let up. He'd do a violent full-body shake of his feathers about every other minute to "clear the snow," but I could never quite capture him in the act.  :) 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

@psuhoffman Solid 5 down here. Must have been wind.

Good…was worried about ya down there. Although that’s still a pretty crazy difference (about 7 here) considering we’re only like 700 yards apart.  The valley I walked to was on the NW side and you’re on the SE of my ridge. Maybe that affected the wind exposure, you would be sheltered by my ridge where the other side was exposed. 

16 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

We got stragglers coming in, look like volcanic ash.  When big gusts shake snow off the (pine) line it looks like a viscous fog ready to eat everything in its path and the deck rail almost disappears!

Sun is filtering through clouds here lol

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

You are further east as well, and I wasn't glued to the radar earlier, but it looked like the best forcing/heaviest area of snow passed west of you.

Yeah banding made a huge difference, places west of me had good bands early this morning, easily putting down a quick 2 or so while I was slow to get to 1. Rates were crap between them, and sun angle worked fast. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Good…was worried about ya down there. Although that’s still a pretty crazy difference (about 7 here) considering we’re only like 700 yards apart.  The valley I walked to was on the NW side and you’re on the SE of my ridge. Maybe that affected the wind exposure, you would be sheltered by my ridge where the other side was exposed. 

Only was windy twice here throughout the storm when the heaviest rates occurred. 

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You got the kids out and I got the grandkids out so figuring you are 40ish?