Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3/12 Event: Winters Last Hurrah at Least East of Mountains

Weather Will

5 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

Close, but duration is unlikely to qualify ...

Blizzard Warning criteria: Issued for frequent gusts greater than or equal to 35 mph accompanied by falling and/or blowing snow, frequently reducing visibility to less than 1/4 mile for three hours or more

Oh what the hooey…just issue the Blizzard warning…3 shmee… Let’s go out in style with a shade of red we don’t often see

27 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

it's all about getting HRDPS'd these days. but I'd count the 6" the NAM gives most of us as being NAM'd anyway

Completely understand the post, but the NAM doesn't give most of us 6".    This is definitely a case to look at the snow depth maps, as the 10:1 is probably an overall too generous ratio, and the model is definitely showing some sleet which gets tallied in.    There are flaws with the snow depth maps, but they (right or wrong) best represent what the model is actually predicting will be on the ground.

That said, even the snow depth maps are 3-4" for many.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

This one is a little exciting to be honest.  Maybe not a lot of snow, but combined with wind....different

I am 100% sure I will be excited about it tomorrow morning when its happening. Its just so nice outside right now and I have been craving the warmth. SAD is no joke lol 

• Like 2

Just now, Weather Will said:

How do we get near blizzard conditions without a winter storm warning?  Not enough total snow fall expected?  If we get 5 inches doesn’t that meet the criteria?

they aren't mutually exclusive

Winter Storm warning for 5+ over a span of some hours

blizzard for 3+hrs of consistent blizzard conditions

we probably miss both just barely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Roger Smith said:

Still some spread in track guidance but with the eastward trend on NAM and given its superior performance in other storms, inclined to boost my earlier airport predictions by about a full doubling to 3" BWI and DCA, 5" IAD. Probably 4, 5, 7 would be the upper limit. 

LOL

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

How do we get near blizzard conditions without a winter storm warning?  Not enough total snow fall expected?  If we get 5 inches doesn’t that meet the criteria?  No one will take near blizzard conditions seriously with an advisory.

there is no accumulation criteria for Blizzard warning.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

You can have blizzard conditions on just a few inches of snow, blizzard is for winds. winter storm is for snow amounts

Thanks, got it.  I think when I was younger 4 inches was enough for a winter storm warning at least inside the Beltway, but maybe I am not remembering correctly.