Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Golf Thread 2022

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

1 hour ago, weathergoat said:

The picturesque 11th at Misquamicut. If you have a connection, drop everything and go play there! Par 69, and always immaculate conditions. Favorite course in RI.IMG_0297.thumb.JPG.a3e79157918a812329fa07346d09b3bb.JPG

Lol I caddied there and had some great summers with the Watch Hill talent. Did you see the 38 and Sandy water markers below the 11th tee on the golf cart when you cross the road?

20190928_124812.jpg

Screenshot_20190928-180634_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190928-180659_Gallery.jpg

I might be in the minority but I’m not a fan of St Andrews. It’s short and lacks visual appeal imo. The huge shared greens are weird and players are not penalized for not being on the fairway. The only penalty is the pot bunkers. It’s basically a field with brown and green grass that has mounds. 

The final round was good though with Cam charging on the back 9 and Rory stuck in neutral. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I might be in the minority but I’m not a fan of St Andrews. It’s short and lacks visual appeal imo. The huge shared greens are weird and players are not penalized for not being on the fairway. The only penalty is the pot bunkers. It’s basically a field with brown and green grass that has mounds. 

The final round was good though with Cam charging on the back 9 and Rory stuck in neutral. 

Completely agreed. It's too easy. It's a mowed meadow with little penalty. The only penalty are the pot bunkers and weather. Also, who ever designed to course was lazy with only 11 greens.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:16 PM, Chrisrotary12 said:

Anyone ever play Shaker Hills in Harvard, MA? Playing there tomorrow afternoon for first time.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:28 PM, DavisStraight said:

Yes, won two tournaments there, won a shirt and a pair of golf shoes, very nice course. Wait til you see one of the par 3s, my partner hit the cup on a fly and took a chunk of grass from around the hole, it ended up 3 inches from the cup.

If I know which par 3 you are talking about, we tee'd off straight into the sun on that one. I hit it dead at the flag and for a brief moment we thought it went in until we spotted it 10 feet long in the fringe.

On 7/14/2022 at 5:58 AM, kdxken said:

It used to be nice. Recent reviews aren't that great. Sometimes that's just a few disgruntled customers.

I was a big fan. Definitely going back. After 2pm was $69 for 18 & a cart. Nice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

If I know which par 3 you are talking about, we tee'd off straight into the sun on that one. I hit it dead at the flag and for a brief moment we thought it went in until we spotted it 10 feet long in the fringe.

I was a big fan. Definitely going back. After 2pm was $69 for 18 & a cart. Nice.

Its the one with the tee up high and you're looking down at the green. Looks like the price went down from 10 years ago.

5 hours ago, QCD17 said:

Teeing off at 3pm today.  I figure the heat index will be adding at least 5 strokes to my score.  Might bring a second shirt for the back 9.

When my wife worked retail after college I used to play 36+ on the 4th of July. One of the 4ths it was like 95 & humid. I brought like 3 change of clothes.

Struggled through 18 at Thompson Raceway.  First time playing there.  It was import drift day at the track, so if you can imagine the sound of a dozen suped up Nissans and various other compact sedans doing nonstop donuts you'll have an idea of the conditions.  The sound carried over the entire course.  Every shot it was all you could hear with the exception of may 2 or 3 holes.  The heat wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  Didn't even soak one shirt.  Hadn't swung the clubs in over a month, and it showed.  Drives leaked, chipping was obscene, and by the final stretch I started mishitting my trusty 7 iron.  I only managed 2 pars, and maybe 3 or 4 bogeys.  I find I generally play poor in temps above 80, but this was bad.  Time to get back to the range.  I'm supposed to play Lake of Isles in a few weeks, so things need to get buttoned up quick or else that place will eat me alive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, QCD17 said:

Struggled through 18 at Thompson Raceway.  First time playing there.  It was import drift day at the track, so if you can imagine the sound of a dozen suped up Nissans and various other compact sedans doing nonstop donuts you'll have an idea of the conditions.  The sound carried over the entire course.  Every shot it was all you could hear with the exception of may 2 or 3 holes.  The heat wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  Didn't even soak one shirt.  Hadn't swung the clubs in over a month, and it showed.  Drives leaked, chipping was obscene, and by the final stretch I started mishitting my trusty 7 iron.  I only managed 2 pars, and maybe 3 or 4 bogeys.  I find I generally play poor in temps above 80, but this was bad.  Time to get back to the range.  I'm supposed to play Lake of Isles in a few weeks, so things need to get buttoned up quick or else that place will eat me alive.

I like the course but like it better when they're not racing, we used to play either Sat or Sun morning and the racers were out in full force, especially annoying on the last two holes.

Just got back today from a cruise.  Played at Port Royal Bermuda on Thursday.  Shot a 99 and only lost one ball.   Bermuda rough and greens are a different ball game.   Add in greens almost always defended well with deep bunkers, and fairway bunkers strategically placed well, 99 is a good score for me

I have pictures but file size is too big.   The 16th hole is unbelievable

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nyrangers1022 said:

Just got back today from a cruise.  Played at Port Royal Bermuda on Thursday.  Shot a 99 and only lost one ball.   Bermuda rough and greens are a different ball game.   Add in greens almost always defended well with deep bunkers, and fairway bunkers strategically placed well, 99 is a good score for me

You broke a hundred on a strange tougher course, that's a win.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

You broke a hundred on a strange tougher course, that's a win.

Exactly, definitely feels like it.   My buddy who played with me, usually shoots upper 70s at his home course.   He shot a 96, granted he used rental clubs there but he didnt use it as an excuse.  He even said the course is very tough.  Definitely needed a caddy or play there a few times for course management. 

The 11th hole, looks like an easy  straight par 4 that looks a bit downhill so you can't see your drive roll out.   Plenty of fairway runway on the scorecard drawing.   Both in fairway, however my ball is on a severe downslope going towards the hole, and the hole is probably40-50 feet down from 170yards away.  Just standing over the ball was just about impossible to get a swing plane to even make sub-par contact.  

Topped it right about 75 yards into the rough.  Hit a great recovery 56degree from 100 yards to put it within 5 feet.  Of course I lipped the par putt on decent sloped green:D.   Did manage 3 pars tho

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 4:55 PM, nyrangers1022 said:

I played there that's a cool place:)

On 7/22/2022 at 5:44 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Crump is a nice course and tough. 98 with crispy greens there is not bad at all. 

What's the hole on the back nine that runs along the water? You think you're home free until you get on the Green and it's a b****.