• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Golf Thread 2022

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

Sat behind 12 yesterday. I think we saw maybe 2 birdies through JT's group (he actually had the best shot of the day into the green but 3 putt for bogey). 

Most shots came up short (downhill and downwind plus a pretty severe back to front slope scared them from going long), but we also saw lots of chunked chips and head shaking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Congrats fitzmagic. Clutch fairway bunker shot on 18 but Zalatoris should have drained his putt after seeing Fitz’s putt not break right.

I was surprised by that. There was almost no break, and he just couldn’t convince himself there wouldn’t be. Guys were doing that all day.

23 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I was surprised by that. There was almost no break, and he just couldn’t convince himself there wouldn’t be. Guys were doing that all day.

Yea. I mean, I probably wouldn’t have come close but arm chair quarterbacking is what we do and it looked one cup left at most. Fitz’s never broke at all, and they practically had the same line. 

On 6/22/2022 at 9:03 PM, DavisStraight said:

Was striking the ball well tonight and putted well, wrong clubbed one hole and one bad shot and ended up 5 over, should have had par or at worst 1 over with better decisions. Great night to golf, cool and very little wind, perfect conditions.

Stupid professional golfers with caddies who tell them the exact distances and clubs that they need to hit. They don't have to deal with that crap!

I volunteered as a walking scorer again with the Korn Ferry event in Falmouth, ME. It's really amazing watching pros go after a course when you get to watch every shot. I saw 5 golfers play every shot over two days. The two things that always jump out at me are how they almost always get up and down, no matter the situation, and how well they hit their fairway woods/long irons.

16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I volunteered as a walking scorer again with the Korn Ferry event in Falmouth, ME. It's really amazing watching pros go after a course when you get to watch every shot. I saw 5 golfers play every shot over two days. The two things that always jump out at me are how they almost always get up and down, no matter the situation, and how well they hit their fairway woods/long irons.

I wish I had been paying attention to the schedule.  I might have made a trip over to watch a day.  I've been to the PGA Tour stop in Hartford a few times and the smooth tempo is what always impressed me.  I like watching that tournament on television and knowing the holes pretty well.

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I wish I had been paying attention to the schedule.  I might have made a trip over to watch a day.  I've been to the PGA Tour stop in Hartford a few times and the smooth tempo is what always impressed me.  I like watching that tournament on television and knowing the holes pretty well.

Well they have at least three more years left visiting Maine after the first year of the contract got pushed out because of the first COVID wave. 

I'm hoping one of the several golfers I walk with will hit it big on the PGA so I can say I remember when...

I think I started to figure a few things out last night. I think I was standing too erect. That meant just couldn’t make decent contact. Still a ways to go to feel decent about how I’m playing. It seems like I go through some variation of this every year. Play well a few weeks and then hit a wall where something goes wrong and I can’t play a decent round to save my life. Hopefully I’m getting back on track. 

7 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I think I started to figure a few things out last night. I think I was standing too erect. That meant just couldn’t make decent contact. Still a ways to go to feel decent about how I’m playing. It seems like I go through some variation of this every year. Play well a few weeks and then hit a wall where something goes wrong and I can’t play a decent round to save my life. Hopefully I’m getting back on track. 

Find the couple things that you are doing well and just keep repeating them. I spent a whole summer one time playing every tee shot to 135 yards so I could hit pitching wedge into the green because it was only club I felt consistently confident in.

59 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Find the couple things that you are doing well and just keep repeating them. I spent a whole summer one time playing every tee shot to 135 yards so I could hit pitching wedge into the green because it was only club I felt consistently confident in.

Even Tiger used to do that, if he was hitting his 3 wood great that day he would set up where he could use it more often, it's a good strategy to score better.

My putting killed me last week.  It was the only thing I hadn't been practicing, and it showed.  The greens were fast and had tricky pin placements, which only compounded my issues.  I need to drag the putting mat out and start getting dialed in and then things should hopefully improve.

What are people's personal par scores?  My home 9-hole course is a par 35.  I consider my "personal" par to be bogey golf or 44.  When I play really well, I can break 40 when I play decently it's between 40 and 45 and anything over that I consider to be a pretty crappy performance. Do others think of scoring in those terms?  Am I just "settling" for bogey golf?

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

What are people's personal par scores?  My home 9-hole course is a par 35.  I consider my "personal" par to be bogey golf or 44.  When I play really well, I can break 40 when I play decently it's between 40 and 45 and anything over that I consider to be a pretty crappy performance. Do others think of scoring in those terms?  Am I just "settling" for bogey golf?

Front is 35, back is 36, bogey golf is an average night for me as depicted by my handicap, have broke 40 a few times but have also broken 50 on a terrible night. Last 3 weeks have been 41, 50, 41, good weather tonight so hoping I play better.

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

On a course I've played before and know, then anywhere in the 70s. Probably average a 78. On a course I've never played before then breaking 85 leaves me feeling solid. Probably average like 83.

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Sometimes, especially when I play solo, I'll try a type of modified Stableford. Bogey is worth zero (so essentially setting my par at bogey golf), and under par is worth twice as much as over par takes away (par = 1, birdie = 2, double bogey = -1 , etc). Then I just try and accumulate as many points as possible. Takes my mind off the total strokes number. 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Sometimes, especially when I play solo, I'll try a type of modified Stableford. Bogey is worth zero (so essentially setting my par at bogey golf), and under par is worth twice as much as over par takes away (par = 1, birdie = 2, double bogey = -1 , etc). Then I just try and accumulate as many points as possible. Takes my mind off the total strokes number. 

We do that in our mens league. The number of points you need to win a point is based on your handicap. 

8 hours ago, mreaves said:

My app has my avg score at 85 but that’s generous imo from a good amount of rounds at an easy course. I’m a bogey golfer by avg score (removing the easy course scores) but a scratch golfer in my mind and at the range.