• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Golf Thread 2022

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

The PGA snuck up on me so I didn’t have time to dig in earlier in the week but it’s been a good tournament so far. Tiger WD was obvious after his brutal Saturday. It’s painful watching him. Leaderboard full of inexperience per say but they’re all really good players. I like seeing it randoms, to the general public, fighting for it today. I wish Rory didn’t have the triple bogey yesterday, otherwise he’d still be in it. He fought back on the back 9 to get to E. In fact, he should have been all the way back -3 but his putter failed him too many times again.

48 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What a comeback by JT.

It was pretty boring so I went to the course and played 9. A friend and I were texting beforehand about Rory and I said JT deserves some crap too because he folds in majors. I guess I spoke a little too soon. Lol

7 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

With the swing he took I don't think it would have mattered what club he was using.

Sure it would have, it would have been short of the creek. Driver brings it into play. He hit driver on Saturday there, great, but it’s sunday and you have a one shot lead. Let’s not pull a Phil Mickelson at the US Open…and that’s exactly what happened. Terrible course management but somewhat expected from the inexperience. 

On 5/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, mreaves said:

It was pretty boring so I went to the course and played 9. A friend and I were texting beforehand about Rory and I said JT deserves some crap too because he folds in majors. I guess I spoke a little too soon. Lol

I found it to be enjoyable actually. The inexperienced but talented up top with a top 5 player making a back 9 surge. Then the bonus 3hole playoff… 

On 5/24/2022 at 4:09 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sure it would have, it would have been short of the creek. Driver brings it into play. He hit driver on Saturday there, great, but it’s sunday and you have a one shot lead. Let’s not pull a Phil Mickelson at the US Open…and that’s exactly what happened. Terrible course management but somewhat expected from the inexperience. 

Did you see the swing? Too tight on the grip, any club would have been off, that said I agree, should have used a 3 wood.

18 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Did you see the swing? Too tight on the grip, any club would have been off, that said I agree, should have used a 3 wood.

Oh it was a terrible swing but a 3w most likely falls short of the creek, even if it was the same swing. That’s what I meant. So a bad 3w still leaves you free from a penalty stroke where at worst you bogey and head to a playoff. 

Phil Mickelson made a similar mistake in at Wingfoot back in the mid 2000s when he was up by 1 on a relatively easier 18th hole than this and also took out his driver and shanked it way left into the tent and ended up with a double, and handed the trophy to Jeff Ogilvy. It’s probably the most iconic 72nd hole meltdown in a major, ever. This is right up there but the big name and experience of Phil’s blunder surpasses.

Mito’s caddie should have stepped in especially for a young player…” hold on my man, let’s keep it short of the creek then long iron on or near the green. Easy two put or up and down for the trophy. No problem.”

• 3 weeks later...

My buddy went yesterday and is there today.  It looks brutal.  Letting the grass grow tall on the green-side edges of the bunkers for an added slap in the face.  The rough looks brutal.  Even the first cut of the rough is a club grabber and then they do a 2nd and 3rd cut, where your ball is basically out of view, and you're not even 10' from the edge of the fairway.  Greens at a 12 and tilted.  I love to watch it, but I would probably need therapy after playing the course.

9 minutes ago, QCD17 said:

My buddy went yesterday and is there today.  It looks brutal.  Letting the grass grow tall on the green-side edges of the bunkers for an added slap in the face.  The rough looks brutal.  Even the first cut of the rough is a club grabber and then they do a 2nd and 3rd cut, where your ball is basically out of view, and you're not even 10' from the edge of the fairway.  Greens at a 12 and tilted.  I love to watch it, but I would probably need therapy after playing the course.

The greens are like pool tables

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m liking this Open. They set it up tough but fair. The Small poa greens require good iron play and a solid short game. It’s not a long course either so it allows the non bombers to compete.

I agree.  I've always disliked the tricked up torture the USGA has done in the past.  By the way, I did the same things as Rory did on his double bogey hole last night in league play.  Put my drive in some tall stuff that took me two shots to get out of an then still had to cross the river twice.  Ended up with a 7.  That's why Rory is a pro, he made 6.

• Haha 1