Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Golf Thread 2022

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

1 hour ago, QCD17 said:

McIlroy and Morikawa both sinking bunker shots for eagle on 18 was epic.  Felt bad for Cam Smith at 12.  I thought he was going to pull off the win after the hot start today and then the wheels came off fast.  And Scheffler's ending with the multiple missed 2-footers was the only part of his weekend that I can relate to on the golf course.

Really?  I can relate to Smith’s shot on 12, Scheffler’s drive into the woods on 18 yesterday, Tiger finishing +17 and any number of missed short putts :P

14 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Same here, I'm ready, I usually take a nice easy swing first couple of times out and do ok, it's when I try and ramp things up when my game goes south so I have to go back to basics.

Ramping things up and going for the hero shot is my kryptonite.  The strokes can add up to almost triple digits.   If and when I decide to play smart, I can break 90 more often than not, and even be below 85.   No one remembers your layup, but you definitely remember your 5i out of the trees that stop on the green,which is rare being the outcome is usually hitting a branch and coming straight down

First 9 holes of the year in the books. Tee to green was ok to decent. On the green....yikes! I had 6 three putts. I could not get green speed down at all. Only 1 putt I missed I would chalk up to green conditions. Had a 5' birdie putt right in the heart miss due to a bump. Did make two other birdies though. 43. 

• Like 2

Well first round of 18 today.  Played pretty bad.   A tweaked back earlier in the week didn't help.   All my irons were weak fades.  Driver was another weak fade to a full on slice, even tho my natural driver shot shape is a draw.  Combination of a bad back and playing for first time in 5 months totaled to a 104.   My chipping and putting was actually pretty good

7 hours ago, nyrangers1022 said:

Well first round of 18 today.  Played pretty bad.   A tweaked back earlier in the week didn't help.   All my irons were weak fades.  Driver was another weak fade to a full on slice, even tho my natural driver shot shape is a draw.  Combination of a bad back and playing for first time in 5 months totaled to a 104.   My chipping and putting was actually pretty good

Im going out next week for the first time, I could shoot what Chris shot or what you shot (or worse), never know first time out.

Second round done yesterday, another poor score.  Ball striking a bit better.  Still pushing and fading jrons.  My friend says it looks like my hands are too pressed foward.  Could be possible as that should cause a steeper swing. 

The most frustrating part were my 30-50yard shots into the green.  I was doing great all last week, and the front 9 yesterday. All of a sudden I kept thinning them and they become a rocket across the green :lol:...Definitely was peeking before striking ball, stupid mental mistake

Second round done yesterday, another poor score.  Ball striking a bit better.  Still pushing and fading jrons.  My friend says it looks like my hands are too pressed foward.  Could be possible as that should cause a steeper swing. 
The most frustrating part were my 30-50yard shots into the green.  I was doing great all last week, and the front 9 yesterday. All of a sudden I kept thinning them and they become a rocket across the green ...Definitely was peeking before striking ball, stupid mental mistake
Over-swinging? I find that I tend push and fade shots when I swing harder than i should. Honestly, that's how I play a fade when I have a natural draw.... just swing a little harder lol.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

9 holes last Monday were entertaining. 45 F and a biting wind.

• Skulled approach shot over green on 1 to make a double.
  • Hooked tee shot on 2 out of bounds.
  • Got frustrated, threw driver.
  • (we play everything as a lateral) Dropped, approach shot hit a tree. 4th shot came up 20 ft short. Made putt saving bogey.
  • Played even golf rest of way in. Putter got hot. Made everything from inside 10 ft.

It's amazing how 1 thing going right can turn it all around. 

On 4/24/2022 at 8:51 AM, nyrangers1022 said:

The most frustrating part were my 30-50yard shots into the green.  I was doing great all last week, and the front 9 yesterday. All of a sudden I kept thinning them and they become a rocket across the green :lol:...Definitely was peeking before striking ball, stupid mental mistake

Keep your head down, you peek you poke

Played 9 tonight. Didn’t keep score as it was my first time out. I was by my self and the course was empty so I hit multiple balls on a lot of holes and generally just practiced. Hit the ball well for the most part, putted like crap. The greens were slow and shaggy. I always figure the reason I’m not completely awful the first few times out is that I’ve forgotten my bad habits over the winter. Unfortunately, I have a good memory and those bad habits are sure to return. 

• Haha 2

First time out tonight, didn't have time to hit the range before so started cold. Not a good night to start cold, the course is on top of a hill and it was windy and cold. Drove the ball well but short game isn't there, shot a 47 and was in a sand trap 8 out of 9 holes so overall can't complain. My fingers were numb at the end even with a golf glove on, need to invest in some winter gold gloves.

10 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

First time out tonight, didn't have time to hit the range before so started cold. Not a good night to start cold, the course is on top of a hill and it was windy and cold. Drove the ball well but short game isn't there, shot a 47 and was in a sand trap 8 out of 9 holes so overall can't complain. My fingers were numb at the end even with a golf glove on, need to invest in some winter gold gloves.

I don’t know how you guys do it. I can’t play below 55F. I’ll see dudes on the course when it’s in the 40s and drizzle wearing winter gear, and I cringe. It doesn’t look enjoyable. Same for the really hot days. Big hairy men smoking cigars sweating on the first tee on 92/77 days. 

I’m a wuss…Golf is a 60-80 degree game for me. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I don’t know how you guys do it. I can’t play below 55F. I’ll see dudes on the course when it’s in the 40s and drizzle wearing winter gear, and I cringe. It doesn’t look enjoyable. Same for the really hot days. Big hairy men smoking cigars sweating on the first tee on 92/77 days. 

I'm with you but it's a league so I'm obligated, we used to start earlier in the year and a few of us lobbied to move the start week later, we actually tried for 1st week of May, settled last week of April.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

45 degrees in November or December I'm golfing.  45 degrees in spring Im staying far away.    I don't mind the 90-95 degrees day.  Also like the softer ball feel and better distance

• Like 2

Played our first Tuesday night informal league tonight. I played well through 6 holes. I birdied the 6th to be +2 and then proceeded to finish triple-bogey-triple and shot a 9 over 44. :axe:  I consider myself a bogey golfer, my handicap is 15. If you told me before we started that I would shoot a 44, I would have been fine with that, especially for the first real time out. The way I got there really sucks though. At least I won money. 

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Played our first Tuesday night informal league tonight. I played well through 6 holes. I birdied the 6th to be +2 and then proceeded to finish triple-bogey-triple and shot a 9 over 44. :axe:  I consider myself a bogey golfer, my handicap is 15. If you told me before we started that I would shoot a 44, I would have been fine with that, especially for the first real time out. The way I got there really sucks though. At least I won money. 

The final score doesnt always tell the whole story. First week last year I was at 32, 1 over with one par 4 left, ended up with a 41.

10 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

The final score doesnt always tell the whole story. First week last year I was at 32, 1 over with one par 4 left, ended up with a 41.

I shot +3 38 Monday night and left the round feeling like that was the highest score I could have possibly shot. Every hole I seemed to have 1 dumb shot. And it wasn't consistent. Miss the green with a wedge. Miss a 4' putt. Hit drive on next fairway. One of these nights it will all come together (right?).

3 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I shot +3 38 Monday night and left the round feeling like that was the highest score I could have possibly shot. Every hole I seemed to have 1 dumb shot. And it wasn't consistent. Miss the green with a wedge. Miss a 4' putt. Hit drive on next fairway. One of these nights it will all come together (right?).

I usually have one or two nights a year it all comes together, the more you play the better chance you have.

36 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I usually have one or two nights a year it all comes together, the more you play the better chance you have.

It's a delicate balance for me.  If I play too much, I can lock bad habits in, if I don't play enough, I never get into any type of rhythm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a 93 yesterday,third time out this year.  An 11 and 12 shot improvement from previous two rounds.  Finally made solid contact with irons.  Driver was decent keeping all but one in play.   Short game unfortunately was atrocious after being great the last two times.   Had 6 triple putts, two of them went from birdie putts to bogeys.

In great news, got my first eagle.   18th hole par 5.  Best drive of the day, left me 250yds to the green.  Went with 3w being only trouble was left if left short, no problem.   Caught it a fat and was a worm burner that only went 125yards down the right side of fairway.  So 125 left, used my PW.  Shot straight up going right at the pin, landed it 4 feet in front of flag and trickled in.  That's one way to not use a putter:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Congrats on the eagle!  I played 9 holes 2 weeks ago.  Shot 49 thanks to a 10 on a par 5 where I went OB off the tee and then crushed my provisional drive into a fairway bunker, and things actually got worse on the hole from there.  Had a few pars and played okay, otherwise.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:25 PM, mreaves said:

It's a delicate balance for me.  If I play too much, I can lock bad habits in, if I don't play enough, I never get into any type of rhythm.

Yea. I tinker with stuff a lot too, and I mean a lot. I’ve been to the range twice so far but have not played yet. The track master there is good enough though for me to keep tinkering until I get out. 

10 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. I tinker with stuff a lot too, and I mean a lot. I’ve been to the range twice so far but have not played yet. The track master there is good enough though for me to keep tinkering until I get out. 

You need to recalibrate your priorities son.

I threw a club last night for the first time in forever. I wasn't hitting it great, but I was scoring well. 1 under through 8 holes and promptly hit it in the fairway bunker on 9. Not too bad except for I hit my approach shot way left in the hazard. After a drop, a flubbed chip and a missed 5 footer I finished with a 7 for a +2 round.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:30 PM, nyrangers1022 said:

Shot a 93 yesterday,third time out this year.  An 11 and 12 shot improvement from previous two rounds.  Finally made solid contact with irons.  Driver was decent keeping all but one in play.   Short game unfortunately was atrocious after being great the last two times.   Had 6 triple putts, two of them went from birdie putts to bogeys.

In great news, got my first eagle.   18th hole par 5.  Best drive of the day, left me 250yds to the green.  Went with 3w being only trouble was left if left short, no problem.   Caught it a fat and was a worm burner that only went 125yards down the right side of fairway.  So 125 left, used my PW.  Shot straight up going right at the pin, landed it 4 feet in front of flag and trickled in.  That's one way to not use a putter:lol:

I got an eagle like that once on a par 5, was about 100 yards out and the pin was hidden, could just see the flag, hit my shot and I heard "dink" walked up and the ball was in the hole.

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I got an eagle like that once on a par 5, was about 100 yards out and the pin was hidden, could just see the flag, hit my shot and I heard "dink" walked up and the ball was in the hole.

That's awesome finding your ball in the hole.   It's funny when you hit a blind shot and can't find your ball,  and you know it's not in the hole but you check anyway.

I thought I had a hole in one last year.  Uphill par 3, can barely see top of flag.  Ball tracks onto the pin.   Can't see it land, so drive up to green, there's no ball in sight.   I thought it was in the hole, checked, no ball.   It was 10 yards over the back of the green :lmao:

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2022 at 5:31 AM, kdxken said:

You need to recalibrate your priorities son.

I know, I know. I play a lot in my mind and watch my favorite instructor Danny Maude on youtube so much that I feel like I am out there playing. Plus I’m always outside hitting chips and flops when my kids are running around. I need to play 18 bad but up until last week, the weather has not cooperated with my schedule.