Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Golf Thread 2022

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

12 minutes ago, S&P said:

Gotta admit , didn’t think tiger would tee it up again @ the masters, much less anywhere else. 

Wonder if it’s schefler’s turn?

I’m not surprised Tiger is there. He’s going to retire when you don’t expect it, not when everyone expects him too. I would never bet against him when it’s a matter of grit and mental toughness. 

it might be Scheffler’s turn but it seems like the red hot guys don’t always come through when they get to Augusta. As far as someone you would expect to win at some point, they were showing where JT ranks in different stats this season on Golf Channel tonight. So many things he’s #1 or #2 in. Why doesn’t he win more? He’s so good. I guess it’s all about the putting with him. I actually think he’s underperformed expectations since winning the PGA. 

1 hour ago, QCD17 said:

Tiger's swinging pretty good so far.  The greens really ate up a few players in the early groups.  Saw a few 40+ putts that rolled all the way back.

Haven't been able to catch anything so far.  Are the greens slow from the rain?  That trips up some guys who are used to lightning speeds

38 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Haven't been able to catch anything so far.  Are the greens slow from the rain?  That trips up some guys who are used to lightning speeds

The cold front just went through within the last 2 hours or so and winds have increased. It will remain windy through most of Saturday and mainly sunny the rest of the tourney. So, not only will greens dry out, the winds will make the course more difficult through round 3. Thus, I expect overall scoring to be worse than average and am looking for players who tend to do relatively well in tougher conditions to have a better chance. Back in the day, Tom Watson tended to do well with conditions like this. These days I'm not sure who best fits that category. Anyone know?

I'm pulling for my hometown's Brian Harman to win. 

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

They were still pretty quick and will only get faster the next 3 days with the wind up and sunny skies. 

Great first round. JT did not play well, losing strokes OTT and on APP, and could miss the cut if he can’t snap out of it tomorrow.

Tiger was impressive all things considered. Some good some bad that looked like he was rusty which was expected. He sank some key par putts to post a 71 but he can’t rely on that tomorrow. How will his leg respond to that tough walk…there was a noticeable gimp as the round wore on.

Im was on fire today but jumping out to a lead here can be tricky, just ask Justin Rose. I thought Hatton was very sharp T2G but the flat stick bailed on him. If there is a guy to bet on for low round tomorrow, it’s him. 

2017’s first round was one of the windiest Masters rounds ever with steady 20 mph winds with gusts to 40. Here are the 2017 first round results:

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2017/04/06/who-leads-2017-masters-first-round-leaderboard-104465/

The leader, Hoffmann, and McGirt, who was in 2nd, aren’t playing in the 2022 Masters.

Westwood, who was in 3rd then, is at even right now and may be one to watch though he’s 48 years old. Of those who were tied for 4th then (at -1), Fitzpatrick is now doing the best with his -1 while Garcia is at even and Henley is at +1. Of those who were even then, Lowry and McIlroy are at +1.

Looking at Fitzpatrick in 2022, he has finished in the top 12 in 5 of his last 7 tourneys. So, based on how he did in the very windy 1st round of 2017 as well as current scores, his 2022 performance over the last 7 tourneys, and the expected wind of the next 2 rounds, it wouldn’t surprise me if Fitzpatrick is leading or near the top after round 3.

43 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

They were still pretty quick and will only get faster the next 3 days with the wind up and sunny skies. 

Great first round. JT did not play well, losing strokes OTT and on APP, and could miss the cut if he can’t snap out of it tomorrow.

Tiger was impressive all things considered. Some good some bad that looked like he was rusty which was expected. He sank some key par putts to post a 71 but he can’t rely on that tomorrow. How will his leg respond to that tough walk…there was a noticeable gimp as the round wore on.

Im was on fire today but jumping out to a lead here can be tricky, just ask Justin Rose. I thought Hatton was very sharp T2G but the flat stick bailed on him. If there is a guy to bet on for low round tomorrow, it’s him. 

Given his obvious talent, I think JT is disappointing. So many times he seems to disappear into the background at majors. As for Tiger, I did catch some highlights and like you said, all things considered, he looked good. 

The greens may have been slower than normal, but they still looked ridiculously fast in places.   But that could be more due to the slope than the actual speed.  I think more players were leaving it short because you can easily roll way off the green in some places on a putt that would normally stop 1 or 2' past the cup.  But who knows.  I'd love to see the course in person, because I think a lot of the challenge to each hole is not really shown on TV.  Growing up, I was always focused on how scenic the course was and the great shots you would see each round.  But now I'm starting to appreciate how brutal it is.  The mental toll it takes on players is also pretty significant.   Guys are hitting some really errant shots this morning, and you have to think they are just overthinking and second guessing.

2 hours ago, QCD17 said:

The greens may have been slower than normal, but they still looked ridiculously fast in places.   But that could be more due to the slope than the actual speed.  I think more players were leaving it short because you can easily roll way off the green in some places on a putt that would normally stop 1 or 2' past the cup.  But who knows.  I'd love to see the course in person, because I think a lot of the challenge to each hole is not really shown on TV.  Growing up, I was always focused on how scenic the course was and the great shots you would see each round.  But now I'm starting to appreciate how brutal it is.  The mental toll it takes on players is also pretty significant.   Guys are hitting some really errant shots this morning, and you have to think they are just overthinking and second guessing.

Of course they do have those SubAir systems that suck water out of the greens so they never get truly slow.

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

See that shot by Cink? He was halfway down the fairway when the ball dropped in for an ace, he hit it 20 yards past the hole and it slowly rolled down.

Including Cink’s, there have been 17 holes in one on 16 over the last 19 tourneys or about once every year on average. Contrast that to only 7 over the prior 70 years or once every 10 years on average! Why such a drastic change the last 19 years?

https://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/stats/historical/holesInOne.html

It looks almost definite now that +5 will not make the cut as winds have dropped considerably and allowed for better scoring.

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Serious Berg, lets plan a golf outing with the golfers here this summer, there's enough of us, we can find a somewhat central place to meet in CT.

We planed on it last year at The Ranch but we never got passed the idea phase.    It’s a good central location for our region too. Just need to pull the trigger when the time comes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We planed on it last year at The Ranch but we never got passed the idea phase.    It’s a good central location for our region too. Just need to pull the trigger when the time comes.

I’d try to travel to make but I’m afraid of the amount of mocking I’d take. :(

On 4/7/2022 at 9:00 PM, GaWx said:

2017’s first round was one of the windiest Masters rounds ever with steady 20 mph winds with gusts to 40. Here are the 2017 first round results:

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2017/04/06/who-leads-2017-masters-first-round-leaderboard-104465/

The leader, Hoffmann, and McGirt, who was in 2nd, aren’t playing in the 2022 Masters.

Westwood, who was in 3rd then, is at even right now and may be one to watch though he’s 48 years old. Of those who were tied for 4th then (at -1), Fitzpatrick is now doing the best with his -1 while Garcia is at even and Henley is at +1. Of those who were even then, Lowry and McIlroy are at +1.

Looking at Fitzpatrick in 2022, he has finished in the top 12 in 5 of his last 7 tourneys. So, based on how he did in the very windy 1st round of 2017 as well as current scores, his 2022 performance over the last 7 tourneys, and the expected wind of the next 2 rounds, it wouldn’t surprise me if Fitzpatrick is leading or near the top after round 3.

I thought Fitzpatrick would have done much better as of the end of round 3 than +4, tied for 26th, and 13 shots out. OTOH, Lowry at -2 and tied for 4th played quite well overall. Also, McIlroy at +1 and tied for 9th is respectable.

Winds will be much lighter today (lightest of the 4 rounds overall I expect) and temperatures will be much warmer. However, the greens should be the fastest of the four rounds, especially late in the round.

20 hours ago, nyrangers1022 said:

Push cart lubed with wd40.  Irons regripped today as well, all ready to shoot a buck oh five ^_^

Same here, I'm ready, I usually take a nice easy swing first couple of times out and do ok, it's when I try and ramp things up when my game goes south so I have to go back to basics.

McIlroy and Morikawa both sinking bunker shots for eagle on 18 was epic.  Felt bad for Cam Smith at 12.  I thought he was going to pull off the win after the hot start today and then the wheels came off fast.  And Scheffler's ending with the multiple missed 2-footers was the only part of his weekend that I can relate to on the golf course.

• Like 2