• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 12 Rain to…more rain? Maybe some snow

HoarfrostHubb

Yeah quabbin isn’t big enough. You can get some low level very light snow from quabbin if conditions are perfect but it’s really rare. You only see it out in western ORH county and it’s basically flurries or stray flakes. 

I don’t know where the streamers came from. I guess lake Champlain could’ve done it on NW or NNW wind and it somehow get reinvigorated because of the upper level support. It was weird but they definitely acted like LES streamers and the snow was similar to what I’d see out in Ithaca off lake Cayuga. 

They did make for a good wintry scene last night. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah quabbin isn’t big enough. You can get some low level very light snow from quabbin if conditions are perfect but it’s really rare. You only see it out in western ORH county and it’s basically flurries or stray flakes. 

I don’t know where the streamers came from. I guess lake Champlain could’ve done it on NW or NNW wind and it somehow get reinvigorated because of the upper level support. It was weird but they definitely acted like LES streamers and the snow was similar to what I’d see out in Ithaca off lake Cayuga. 

Agree about Quabbin on second thought.  Actually had 3 layers of precipitation at one point. Departing LP, ULL and then those streamers. At one point for a little while there was a mesolow over CT. Speaking of that I saw 934 out on a Candian buoy. We wondered what 3k was doing but there was in fact all these little mesolows. One of the coolest storms in a while with basically little precip. Good stuff

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

11.3" storm total with still some upslope -SN ongoing. I had about 4" from the synoptic part of the storm, but the backside with it's upslope and streamers has definitely overachieved. Pure fluff except the synoptic stuff underneath which is denser, but still dry. 

That said, I've officially passed the 100" for the season with 102.2" as of now. It's been a frustrating winter locally, but it has at least earned a passing grade... 

The Woodford effect was clearly in full force for this storm. Only 4 inches at Mount snow and 6” at Stratton. The snowmobile place In Woodford claims over a foot and the Weathernet Woodford report was 12”. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

NWS Gray has made FB posts in the past about Sebago enhancing snow which is about 30k acres, the Quabbin is larger than Sebago. That said the shape of Sebago seems to be more favorable. 

• Like 1

Just now, George001 said:

Damn looks like this ended up being a nice storm in NNE after all. Some of the guidance close in was light on the QPF, so the 10:1 snow maps weren’t impressive. Was it high ratio snow?

Not everyone in NNE did well. I had about 6" of wet snow from the synoptic piece and then a foot of powder on the backside. Anyone who doesn't get NW flow upslope didn't do all that well on this one. Great storm here. Best of the winter.

Hopefully no cutters for a while so I can watch it melt out naturally over the next couple weeks instead of all at once overnight in a torrential downpour.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

If anyone has totals from this lemme know

Also if you can give me a season total if you're in CT or update the 2021-2022 New England Snow page i will be working on a STD snowfall map.

Thanks!

2.0" at 1,110 ft in Burlington...

• Thanks 1

I had 1.6” in Holliston last night when it started slowing down. I may have had another couple tenths but I didn’t stay up…wind was crazy though when falling asleep. 

Classic spring day even though it’s cold out struggling to hit freezing. In the sun it’s torched away. 

63BD9527-A4D1-4F9D-951B-71AEF8459A99.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Also if you can give me a season total if you're in CT or update the 2021-2022 New England Snow page i will be working on a STD snowfall map.

Thanks!

2.0" in Southbury....impressive squall around midnight helped. 33.3" for the season....

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How did Kevin get more? Hmmm. I know there was a lot of drifting from that roof of his onto the deck.

Sorry you missed out. We didn’t 

Tolland County...
2 ENE Stafford               2.6 in    0903 PM 03/12   41.99N/72.26W
Staffordville                2.6 in    0500 AM 03/13   42.00N/72.26W
Storrs 2.8 NE                2.0 in    0700 AM 03/13   41.84N/72.22W
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LaGrangewx said:

The Woodford effect was clearly in full force for this storm. Only 4 inches at Mount snow and 6” at Stratton. The snowmobile place In Woodford claims over a foot and the Weathernet Woodford report was 12”. 

Hasn't been much of the Woodford Cloud this winter, but this event delivered. There also was that steamer that I dont think was totally upslope driven that drove up totals too I think, maybe just enhanced totals even a bit more than just normal upslope.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You got as much if not more than much of the Berkshires.  I think Albany area had around 4 inches?

Savoy had 8" and Cheshire 6.5". I think the NW wind definitely played some part in the lower totals in your area up through Brattleboro and much of SEVT with all the higher terrain to the west. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reports. Here are the final town-by-town totals from here, CoCoRahs, PNS reports and NWS 72 hour snowfall map. The coating to 2" verified well for much of the state with little to no measurable in southern and SE CT. The biggest problem was NW CT where the 5-7 range was ended up being about 40 miles to the NW. Interior W CT and N CT were definitely in the lower end of the range with 2-3+ instead of 2-5. 

Final Grade: C

03_13.22_jdj_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.79578274d2d4c18d0b94a6c0a1ab01d4.jpg

03_12.22_jdj_snowfall_forecast_update.thumb.jpg.93d6c4c696b0e34bcaf483fd9323e1b8.jpg

03_13.22_jdj_snowfall_ct_towns_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.37bb24a43c3a2f7cf2adc8b7553994f3.jpg

4114Capture.thumb.PNG.c32273eb4e83ac48ef13554889710cd6.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Thanks!

1 freakin inch yesterday, 26.5" for the season.  Might be the first ever seasonal loss to Sikorsky.