Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 12 Rain to…more rain? Maybe some snow

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, PhineasC said:

Any snow is good, but I was hoping for a real monster bomb to bring a lot more terrain online up here. 10" followed by days of 35 degrees and bright sun isn't going to do much aside from resurface the groomers, at least, which will be good.

I hear ya.  I doubt this is a monster... might need to wait a while for one of those.   

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I don’t blame him. If I moved up there I’d want a year of some epic cold and snow departures. 

Yeah I'd be rooting for one of those 190-200 inch winters....they prob happen every 3-5 years there, but it can be streaky too. Sometimes you'll get 2 or 3 in a row and then you'll have to wait 5-6 seasons.

Mostly though, I'd get grouchy at melt-outs and those have been a problem this year. Sometimes, you just miss snow events but at least what snow that falls, keeps staying around and adds up slowly over time. But years like this have had a lot of melting and cutters which really sucks for winter sports. Last year had the horrific Xmas cutter, but at least once that was done, there wasn't another nasty one until maybe March? So the snow depths got pretty good up there.

25 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Some caution on Ginx's 4" of sleet and 5" of snow in Tolland. The 3km NAM actually shows very little accumulation through 0z Sunday if you look at positive snow depth change. 

download (5).png

No that should have been posted elsewhere for Pete. Lol I had 2 windows open. Here's Petes. But that snow depth change has been bunk anyways. I remember our blizzard when it gave me correctly 2 feet on clown but snow depth was 11

Screenshot_20220310-103923_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I'd be rooting for one of those 190-200 inch winters....they prob happen every 3-5 years there, but it can be streaky too. Sometimes you'll get 2 or 3 in a row and then you'll have to wait 5-6 seasons.

Mostly though, I'd get grouchy at melt-outs and those have been a problem this year. Sometimes, you just miss snow events but at least what snow that falls, keeps staying around and adds up slowly over time. But years like this have had a lot of melting and cutters which really sucks for winter sports. Last year had the horrific Xmas cutter, but at least once that was done, there wasn't another nasty one until maybe March? So the snow depths got pretty good up there.

Pack was way better last year. My 2-3' pack lasted like 2 weeks and then completely melted out. Then I built up to a foot or so and it melted out again. All before the second week of March. There is a lot more to winter here than the raw number on the snow tracker site... but some don't get it, I guess.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Pack was way better last year. My 2-3' pack lasted like 2 weeks and then completely melted out. Then I built up to a foot or so and it melted out again. All before the second week of March. There is a lot more to winter here than the raw number on the snow tracker site... but some don't get it, I guess.

Should have bought your Mcmansion in Western Maine the snow retention capital of New England 

27 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Some caution on Ginx's 4" of sleet and 5" of snow in Tolland. The 3km NAM actually shows very little accumulation through 0z Sunday if you look at positive snow depth change. 

download (5).png

Positive snow depth change doesn’t always work out though. That algorithm had only up to a coating of snow in parts of CT yesterday. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Or where I go sledding…north of caribou, now that’s the real deal! 

Randolph is already far enough. The drive all the way up to north of Caribou is brutal from MD.

We can get a direct flight to Manchester but not Burlington or Caribou, which is part of why we bought in NH instead of northern VT.

I would love to be up there though. Nice area.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Randolph is already far enough. The drive all the way up there is brutal from MD.

We can get a direct flight to Manchester but not Burlington or Caribou, which is part of why we bought in NH instead of northern VT.

I would love to be up there though. Nice area.

You still have a month or so of decent winter chances... maybe no big storms but could get near 140"